Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA comes to EPG in NI

• 21-08-2002 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

Look at BBC 1 epg for Sunday 3.15 pm,All Ireland Semi final.
    Setanta up yours!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

OOPS that is BBC2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Cool so that means the rest of the UK can watch.... and if you have S4C Digital then you'll have been able to watch recorded highlights ( in welsh - but with english subtitles ) so you wont have missed a bar... bears subscribing... and anyway - how were you ever to know the number they only broadcast the promo video for two days (daytimes too!!!! Now thats' what I call promotion!!!)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

Surely the game will only be available in Northern Ireland? I think Setanta has it for the rest of the UK. Plus the Rest of the UK is watching The Hickstead Showjumping Derby. (Which I wanted to see- annoyed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

if its on BBC2 NI surely we will be able to see it??

maybe this will force rte to get the finger out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eamon Gavin

Believe it when you see it. This month's Sky mag told us that RTE transmissions of GAA games would start from 11the August. This obviously a gaa problem. Their disregard for "the great Irish diaspora" is just so hypocritical. Their heads are so big it's difficult to understand how they got the up their backsides in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

*whispers*
    Maybe since this is the first time the BBC have broadcast live GAA on digital, the fact that UK viewers can view other regions BBC2's will be overlooked. Especially if no-one points it out to them!

Setanta won't stand for this for long (look how quick they acted with RTE - and I would predict that BBC1 NI will carry future games - that of course is exclusive to NI, or perhaps live GAA will only be on BBC2 NI analogue.

In relation to highlights, I don't think the GAA are bothered - Isn't the Sunday Game on Network 2 broadcast on digital already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Wasn't the GAA on BBC2 digital last year as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

BBC NI showed it's championship games on Sky Digital last year on BBC2 NI but these were blocked out to viewers in GB. Apparently Setanta threw a strop at the thought that Irish pubs in London and the like getting their hands on FTV NI cards and bypassing Setanta, which is why it was taken off the air initally - last week's Sligo v Armagh game wasn't on Sky Digital, I think it was athletics instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This was as a result of the change from BBC Choice NI to BBC 2 NI. All GAA matches were shown on BBC 2 NI, which was never shown outside of NI. But when the Choice regions expired, they let the national BBC 2 variants available (Wales and NI programming of course sometimes differs) BBC 2 NI available nationally on EPG 960.

Setanta not like, got it barred. Last summer on BBC 2 NI on Sky, "this programme is not available" was radiated in all its glory, but so far this summer, BBC 2 NI on Sky has stuck with the network, while analogue goes with the GAA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Remember also that BBC TWO NI now comes in two variants - analogue (BBC TWO Northern Ireland, now branded onscreen as just BBC TWO), and digital (BBC TWO NI - Digital Cable, and DTT also get this as well as SkyDigital).

On Sunday, The Championship was on analogue BBC TWO Northern Ireland, but BBC TWO NI showed Sunday Grandstand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I notice the game is listed on BBC 2NI on my ROI sub on 215 for Sunday. N2 has the usual No Listings Available...

I still imagine though that when the time comes, the game will be blocked in ROI and rest of UK. Hope not though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by irishbyte
    I notice the game is listed on BBC 2NI on my ROI sub on 215 for Sunday. N2 has the usual No Listings Available...

I still imagine though that when the time comes, the game will be blocked in ROI and rest of UK. Hope not though!
    Have any BBC programmes on BBC ONE & TWO NI been blocked out in ROI on Sky since the channels launched? Not as far as I know. I imagine that if it is on BBC TWO NI Digital it will be on ROI cards. But I doubt it will be on GB cards. I'm sure it will be blocked out form them.

If it is on BBC Ni then surely it will be on Network 2<they are maybe a bit slow with updating the EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if BBC2 NI has it on this Sunday then Network 2 have no excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I thought this may be to do with the fact we've reached the all-irl semis (time for big-time promotion of the game ;-) )....I was away for the hurling semis, but since nobody said THEY were on, then maybe i'm wrong.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The sunday game live is in the EPG on Network 2 whether it will be removed when sunday comes is another story

byte

Originally posted by irishgeo
    The sunday game live is in the EPG on Network 2 whether it will be removed when sunday comes is another story

God! It wasn't on the EPG at 2.20 this morning when I posted. It was just the familiar No Listings crap. Maybe it will be on so! :cool:

byte

Just to update, GAA is now live and clear on Net 2 on Sky! Excellent. Coverage on BBC2 NI don't start til 15.15 so won't know til then but I am optimistic that maybe it will be available in ROI too. The arrival of GAA probably explains why RTE1 and N2 cannot be received if ya put your card in another box though it used to (mentioned in another thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rAzOz1303

I think I speak for everyone on this group

Up yours SETANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For long enough we have being subject to an agreement that is in my mind "CONTRARY TO EU LAW"

About time this is not the case if only temporary.

Not that I am a major fan of GAA (well since sligo went out to a bent decision) but the sheer fact that I am being deprived a portion of the service that I am paying for drives me crazy!!!!!!

Remember......live the signature beloy

E4:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Element 4

test please ignore

E4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

'Programme not available' message on BBC2 NI FTA cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

What is the main region on your FTV card?
    I get "not available" on my England card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

The semi final was on network 2 digital today .
    It was also on BBC1 NI Digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by carrolls
    It was also on BBC1 NI Digital.

That's strange. I thought it was supposed to be on BBC2.

It was on BBC2 NI and next Sunday as well
    SAYIRELAND //are you sure your card is from NI.

One interesting fact about the BBC TWO NI coverage,

The match was in 16:9 (not just the studio links, but the whole gig.)

I don't think it was necessary to have Colin Corkery in widescreen but there ye go! :D

match coverage was a 4:3 picture cropped to fit a 16:9 frame. the BBC are famous for it. it looks terrible

I didn't think it was cropped. I was looking between the two pics, and I was sure I could see more on the BBC screen than what was shown on 4:3 Network 2. It looked more 15:9 than anything else.

it looked cropped on my television. it was exactly as how they show some of their programmes when CBBC is on in the afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Expressed myself badly back there. The transmission was switched off my English FTA card just before they went over to Croker.

Quote"it looked chopped,16/9 etc,
    What I saw today was the first ALL IRELAND game in years and by God I enjoyed it,it would not of mattered to me if it was in Black and white.My neighbours even found it fasinating,especially the bonas boxing match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Element 4

Well Seano,

Afterall this is the top level of the of the game afterall

E4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

BBC2 must have got a 4x3 feed from RTE which they streched a bit to almost fill a 16x9 screen.

If you switch letter box mode off on your digibox, it will look like it's slightly zoomed in on the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by jdempsey
    BBC2 must have got a 4x3 feed from RTE which they streched a bit to almost fill a 16x9 screen.

If you switch letter box mode off on your digibox, it will look like it's slightly zoomed in on the action.

They must have ARC'd it like they do with 4:3 news footage. This is generally not done for sport, however. It is usually shown 4:3 pillarbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

Hi,
    Just a few questions to clear thigs up for me, I was in Croker yesterday and thus did not know what was happening with the coverage. First was the Cork V Kerry match shown on BBC 2 NI ? was it only shown on BBC Ftv Cards ? Was it shown on BBC 2 NI on Sky Digital R.O.I ? Was the Minor Match shown ? did Net 2 broadcast the match on Sky ? Was the match shown to Ftv Card Users. And last but not least will Kerry win sam this year ? i think so !

Regards Culchie Boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The match was shown on BBC2 NI and on Network 2 - and both were availble to view on an Irish-sub Sky Card.

The minor match was not on BBC2 NI - they had some other sports event on at that time.

I believe that BBC2 NI was blocked out for viewers outside NI - but I never tried this with my FTV card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

As I understand it the game was available to the following...

*Irish Sky Subscribers who have BBC2 as part of their package.

*Northern Irish Sky Subscribers

*Those with UK FTV cards which are set for a Northern Ireland (BT) postcode

Sky subscribers in GB and FTV cards registered for Sctoland, England and Wales got the dreaded "08" message - I am very sure on Setanta's insistence.

I didn't see any of the match yesterday though as I was a witness to the Tyrone Junior Football Championship final!:D

As to the query on widescreen, as I understand it for games outside Ulster the BBC usually take the RTE feed which is mostly 4:3 and overlay their own graphics. When BBC Choice was regionalised every Monday night "Championship Choice" was on which showed a replay of the full game in 16:9. Now that they are allowed to broadcast these games again on Digital TV they may wheel these cameras out again next year.

For GAA OBs the BBC are usually based in either Casement Park in Belfast or in Clones. In Belfast they usually link back to the studio with a microwave link to Divis. In Clones they usually park the OB truck in a reserved car parking area behind the Pat McGrane & Hill stands. The feed is sent to a mast just back over the border in South Fermanagh which can be seen from the Hill on a clear day, which is then passed on towards Belfast.

I'm not sure what they used from Croke Park or last week from Navan - possibly the Eurovision Microwave link?

Originally posted by Northern Correspondent
    I'm not sure what they used from Croke Park or last week from Navan - possibly the Eurovision Microwave link?

It would be good to make some use of it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

After being very dissapointed last week, I was very happy to see the Minor & Senior semi-finals on Digital on Sunday! How come the games were shown on Sunday? Will they be a permanent fixture or could they be turned off without notice?

mfield

byte

I would doubt if they'd block the rest of the games. Now if only the 4 irish channels could come to terms with anamorphic widescreen transmissions on Dsat!:(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Now if only the 4 irish channels could come to terms with anamorphic widescreen transmissions on Dsat!:(

Not only DSat. They should offer anamorphic widescreen through NTL and Chorus too. One of the BCI conditions is that the satellite service must not differ from other platforms. Small minded people may say that widescreen on satellite only would be breaking that condition (although I believe that the BCI meant that programming should not be different). Anyway by having widescreen available to all platforms everyone will be happy.

On a similar point, I have to laugh at the people who give out about widescreen on digital TV. Do they realise that it can be turned off if you don't have a widescreen set?

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Small minded people may say that widescreen on satellite only would be breaking that condition (although I believe that the BCI meant that programming should not be different). Anyway by having widescreen available to all platforms everyone will be happy.

:confused: Its down to how you interpret the regulations. I hope you are not referring to me as being small minded!

I'll give you Nicky Campbell if you are!

Originally posted by DamoDMC

I hope you are not referring to me as being small minded!

As if I'd be so naughty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by DamoDMC

:confused: Its down to how you interpret the regulations. I hope you are not referring to me as being small minded!

Forgive my ignorance, whats a Nicky Campbell?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Tony
    Forgive my ignorance, whats a Nicky Campbell?

I haven't a clue either. It sounds scarey though :D

Was Nicky Campbell not anne robinsons replacement on BBC'c watchdog??
    Equally as nasty...Bark, Bark:eek: :p :eek:
    mm

Anyone who knows about Mark & Lard may have an understanding of what I'm on about.
    'Tis cryptic, but lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Lads.

I see that the familiar "No listings available" is showing on Network Two on Sunday for the Dublin game. However,it is shown on the BBC2NI (215) as scheduled to be shown.

Whats going on???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by madman
    Was Nicky Campbell not anne robinsons replacement on BBC'c watchdog??
    Equally as nasty...Bark, Bark:eek: :p :eek:
    mm

Alistair McGowan does a mean Nicky Campbell take-off. No show at the moment but it's bound to be back at some stage (prob in the usual slot on beeb-one, Fri after Aystenders)

Originally posted by jez
    Lads.

I see that the familiar "No listings available" is showing on Network Two on Sunday for the Dublin game. However,it is shown on the BBC2NI (215) as scheduled to be shown.

Whats going on???

that is surely a mistake

• Advertisement
Advertisement