Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Model 2 emulation

• 22-08-2002 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Words been going around that someone has an emu running wire-frame sonic:the fighters.
    Theres a sorta half-assed model 2 emulator that exists called virtua but the guy never really updated it much and gave most of the notes over to the mame dev team, the games it covered were mostly the lower end spec of the model 2 systems (theres 3-4 different hardware setups)

Could be interesting to see what happens, some good games there, should definetly outshine system 22 for l33t warez kiddies begging for roms etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hmm..Model 2? I've not heard that rumour myself. Any links to articles etc? It would seem odd that they'd be able to emulate model 2 when there is still little understanding of how model 1 operates(3Dwise) I think it will be a while yet before we see model 2 properly emulated but it's good to hear that someones made a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Errrrr.... there already is working emulation of model 2, Virtua (name of the emu) runs virtua fighter, dead or alive etc., i've only tried VF and it seemed ok. But the author stopped work on it sometime back. Its surprising alright that it wasn't made a little bit more public, but then again its probably for the best, as you have less a$sholes looking for roms.

Its also come out now as not a rumour, some ppl are working on it, you can find screens of it on http://www.emulatronia.com/
    Just scroll down for the new link.

The hardware is actually less advanced than namco system 22 and alot more is known about it as well. From what i gather from speaking to some of the guys on #retrogamers, its just never really been looked at before. Its not hard to emulate but no one bar the virtua emulator has really bothered to attempt it.

I'll be taking a look at this so;) Virtua Striker use the same model 2 system as sonic fighter so would be nice to see that emulated.
    You got a link for that Virtua Emu? As for rom beggers Hmm... I find most roms i'm looking for very easily and don't see why others can't do the same. The mods will be deleting posts with rom requests anyway

I'm speaking more in general terms, kiddies begging for roms on the larger emu forums like retrogames and mailing and annoying the authors is usually what kills emulators.

Just look for virtua in google, cos i dont have a direct link, and am too lazy to look :)

The Guru has posted some screens on his site of games he recently dumped running on the yet to be named model 2 emulator. He dumped house of the dead and behind enemy lines. Both screens are just mainly of title screens or in game without anything but 2D support.
    Seemingly the team are looking for information on a specific custom chip on the model 2C boards, probably the reason why all these shots that have been floating about have been quite sketchy.

• Advertisement

Screenshots of an emulated Virtua Striker at http://www.emulatronia.com/
    It's still missing most of the 3d stuff but it looks to be coming along nicely:D

The Guru has put up a page listing all the dumped model 2 games. Has loads of pictures of the as yet unamed model 2 emulator....find it here http://unemulated.emuunlim.com/m2status/index.html

Finally the author reveals himself! Its none other then rcp the creator of the killer instinct 1/2 emulator. This is lookin good...very good:) Go Here
    He also updated u64emu so it runs both KI1/2 and made it open source

Advertisement