Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This will seem a bit stoopid...

Options
  • 22-08-2002 6:50am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

I have a feeling this is a VERY simple question, but humour me plz.

I just bought 2 LinkSys Network cards and a length of Cat-5 cable.

In the shop there were other cables labelled "crossover cable", i knew that was what i was looking for, but not seeing any difference I bought the cheaper cable.

Will this work for my 2 pc network?

Thnx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If the cable you have isn't crossover then it will not work. You would need another straight through cable and a hub or switch for what you have to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you could chop one of the rj45's off the end of your cable and wire it up as a crossover... that is if you can get your hands on a crimper.

If you look up crossover cable on google youre bound to get a wiring diagram..

Annnnnd there ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Unless you've got a crimper for RJ45 plugs (they're pretty expensive, and unless you use them often enough to warrant paying for them...) would it not be easier to rewire it somewhere other than at the ends?

Gadget

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Thnx lads, but i may just buy a crossovwer cable if it aint too expensive back in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Then connect the Green/green white to the Orange/Orange white and then it will work. I had to do this a few years ago when I was stuck for a cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Crossover cable is pritty cheap. I got 5meters of cable for only about €4 or so in ItDirect

Advertisement