Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Add new community: PHP

• 22-08-2002 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Board Name: PHP

Description: To discuss all aspects of PHP programming with a view to starting an Irish PHP Programming users group.

Private Y/N: N

.logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

interested

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

That would be useful, but would it not already come under programming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I fully endorse this product and/or service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I would love to see a PHP board,

IT's such a fun language, and it can do so much (web related stuff),

When u say "Irish PHP Programming users group", do u mean as in yet another piss-up group, or a website/chat room, or a group that meets in the "real world" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Slydice

When u say "Irish PHP Programming users group", do u mean as in yet another piss-up group, or a website/chat room, or a group that meets in the "real world" ?

As with any UG they usually do a combination of the above :)

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I would be interested, how about it would be a sub group of the programming board in the technology section?

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by flamegrill
    I would be interested, how about it would be a sub group of the programming board in the technology section?

Regards,

Paul

Sounds like the best option....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Most Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

id be interested in that tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think thats a great idea Flamey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Good idea logic, but tho -

add community .asp
    add community .vbs
    add community .pas

see where this is going ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

This was born out of the suggestion to set up an Irish PHP Users Group. As such it's more a community board than a subset of programming/technology.

If ppl prefer I can set up an email list off one of my domains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Fair point Corinthian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I suggested a web development board t'other day and that was promptly shot down. Anyway, a PHP board would be cool but... I dunno, what happens ASP? JSP? Cold Fusion? [insert server side language here]?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There is a lot of us out there who regularly use PHP.

I'm just wondering if there would be sufficient posts to require a board seperate to Programming and Webmaster for PHP. (Especially when the online manual is pretty good anyway.)

Maybe a Web Scripting board to cover PHP, ASP and other scripting languages and also areas like SQL.

On a more light heearthed note:

I recently saw a friends INET+ course book (he's lecturing it) and it described PHP as "Personal Home-Page". ;)

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    I recently saw a friends INET+ course book (he's lecturing it) and it described PHP as "Personal Home-Page". ;)

Depending on the age of the book, that may or may not be funny. PHP was originally known as Personal Home Page Tools way back in early '95, it was when Rasmus Lerdorf was still the sole developer of the language. He started it in autumn 1994 and then made Personal Home Page Tools available in 1995... so check the print date of that book before ye laugh at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Fair point in having it as a community i suppose. From that we can establish the PUG or IPUG ? make it more local with the I :))

A mailist and a domain isn't a bad idea at all. But first a board where we can discuss it? set it up? Reg a domain as Adam allready suggested. a .org would be perfect (Not a .ie no way) :)

Paul

p.s i just posted on programming, but readin the last few posts has changed my mind and swayed me toward a community board.

Right lads, if someone can register the domain I can host it (with PHP on the server of course ;) )... PM me for nameservers and such if anyone does decided to run with this. Although discussing things like the website could be better done on the PHP board (if we get one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by OrangeRhino
    I suggested a web development board t'other day and that was promptly shot down. Anyway, a PHP board would be cool but... I dunno, what happens ASP? JSP? Cold Fusion? [insert server side language here]?

I don't see any reason they can't get their own community boards if they request them. If every county in Ireland can have one I'm sure a few languages can too ;)

.logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A community board is fine, as long as there's a sticky about it in Programming. This is just a testbed really, to see how many people we can get interested. If it takes off, we can talk about domain names, websites and mailing lists later. (I know a lot of people prefer mailing lists, but remember where we are.) From experience, I find that groups like this are notorious with their websites anyway, so it's not important.

One step at a time, sweet jesus." Everybody!

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by dahamsta
    One step at a time, sweet jesus."

<bill hicks> "one stroke at a time, sweet jesus"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Board created. We can always remerge it with Prog if unused anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement