Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally got 1mb uncapped ADSL! WOOHOO!!

Options
  • 22-08-2002 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just wanted to express my delight by saying that despite the cost, we now have Eircom's "enhanced" ADSL package.

We're using the Zyxel Prestige 643 router and I must say that it works damm well. Its been up for over a week now and has had no problems!

By the way...I'm saying the router itself is great, not the actual service. Eircom fannyed around with me for about 3 months before even agreeing to come out and install it, but now that its in, I'm happy.

Just thought I'd share the news!
    Cheers,

- WiG -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 pika

Do you work for Eircom ? I am surprised that they came out to you that quick that must be a staff incentive.

I didnt think they called out on days ending with y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Finally got 1mb uncapped ADSL! WOOHOO!!

I was on the ADSL trial, but could not take up the service because was criminally expensive.

wig, wait till you get your bill, I hope you enjoy a good buggering because that is what ERRORCON are going to do to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

I signed up myself early this week. No fannying around. Very smooth phone call. Gave me a username, password, and an install date just two weeks away. Of course there's a big difference between getting an install date and getting it installed, but so far it looks good.

I'm going to try a PCI ADSL modem - the Conexant based model available from dabs.co.uk. I'll be driving it from Linux. Should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wig

Heh...no I dont work for Eircom.

The great thing is that its not me who's paying the bill, its the owner of the company so I dont care, I just look after the IT part of it :-D YAY!

broooooooooooom....hmmm...

hope it goes well for you longword, once on it, you'll never go back to dialup again! :-)

Cheers,

- WiG -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

well i got a lower ping than you so :p (isdn)

just out of curiosty wig, try pinging www.eircom.net for me....

see what ping you get, i'm wondering if adsl pings can be effected by the quality of the router or hardware...

EG, I get 20 pings to eircomNet with isdn and Asus TA, but with an external Ta, I get 50 or above ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by wig

We're using the Zyxel Prestige 643 router and I must say that it works damm well. Its been up for over a week now and has had no problems!
    - WiG -
    Have to agree with you M8 Im using the same router on the Multi package and its a good piece of kit it just works without any probs and very configurable in console mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by ando
    well i got a lower ping than you so :p (isdn)

just out of curiosty wig, try pinging www.eircom.net for me....

see what ping you get, i'm wondering if adsl pings can be effected by the quality of the router or hardware...

EG, I get 20 pings to eircomNet with isdn and Asus TA, but with an external Ta, I get 50 or above ...

Sure
    and with a ta going through a serial port you get an extra synch/asynch conversion...
    Eircomnet use Interleaving on Adsl which affects the latency..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Eircomnet use Interleaving on Adsl

why are they using interleaving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

pushes the distance out further i think ? ( a guess )

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by ando
    why are they using interleaving ?
    It increases the immunity to line noise using many of the same tricks that audio CDs use to read through finger prints.

This indirectly leads to in increase in range for the service because the further you are from the exchange the more likely to suffer from noise. And whilst the pings are higher, you're less likely to lose a packet outright. Personally, in a game, I find it easier to deal with a higher but reliable ping versus dropped packets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

In other words; the only way they could get adsl to work on their ancient phone lines? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

what that costing you?

Advertisement