Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need maps for practice

• 22-08-2002 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

here i am still getting to grips with mapping not doing to bad at still getting a few errors so i think it might be best if i try to edit some maps out there already. How would i go about doing that?
    i can do all the basic stuff and i do mean basic just learning as i go along but whould like to see what it takes to make a good map and sizes used etc so if anyone has a few even half finished maps i wouldnt mind having a go at them probably wouldnt look very good but hey its worth a try.

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I don't have a map to give you, yet if I did I wouldn't give it to you either.

Editing someone elses map will not help you learn AT ALL!
    It simply gives off the illusion that, if you finish the map the way you want it and compile it, you will be well able to map from scratch the next time.

If you want to become anything remotely good at mapping, you must come to grips with stamping out errors, methods of mapping that will help avoid those errors, and knowing what is wrong (Specifically) when you do get one.

Prefabs and ready made object to be put in maps are fine, but I myself wouldn't touch a started map.

If you really REALLY want to get started maps, DrAkE will have plenty for you - But I strongly advise against this course of learning.

Why don't you list some of the errors and we'll help you squash them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=60708

its been there a while no replys yet. thought if i got started map i could see things that might help me learn finishing it would be secondary tbh

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I do sincerely hope you're not using WC to compile maps...
    I use TBBC Tools to compile them.
    If there is a problem they'll say so in the logs and I can always stamp them out.

Do you get a log file after your compile!?
    It'll generally give you the co-ordinates or entity/face numbers of the object needed to be edited if it's a texture problem.
    If you have no lights, the map wont compile but that isn't the issue in your problem. In fact it's not saying anything at all that will help.

I had a similar looking (But strange) problem that looks like yours.
    Notice the "Can't open p2.o thingy - I had a situation where (With logs enabled) it wouldn't compile at all. This is sometimes because I kept deleting specific files in the compiled maps folders that were not needed to run the map. Eventually I turned logging OFF and it compiled perfectly fine. A bit stupid but true. Anyhow check out the map log and give me the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    I do sincerely hope you're not using WC to compile maps...
    I use TBBC Tools to compile them.
    If there is a problem they'll say so in the logs and I can always stamp them out.

Im still using Hammer to compile my maps .. am i bad? :(:D

Are the TBBC that good? Whats the link for the site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

www.gracelessland.com

Download TBCC today! :D

• Advertisement

Hammer is, by far, the worst method of map compilation.
    You would do well to use anything but hammer, even if it's a tin can with a stick of spaghetti inside it.

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    You would do well to use anything but hammer, even if it's a tin can with a stick of spaghetti inside it.

Humm... your point is understood.

Tool Box Navigator 1.2 (5.65Mb)
    Game Content Development IDE for Quake1/2/3 and Half-Life Engine games. Includes integrated versions of Compilation Controller and Map Text Editor, plus a Version Control System

Stand-Alone Tool Box Compilation Controller 0.1b (2.45Mb)
    Powerful, advanced map compilation controller for all Quake and Half-Life Engine games. Includes a configuration editor that allows you to edit available commands as map compiling tools change. Compile multiple maps in one run. TBCC will shut-down during compile and restart afterwards, using literally NO system resources during map compilation!

There are the info needed.
    Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

these are pretty groovy tools, you could sell this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Imo the best compiler is HLCC. Its old and a predecessor of TBCC but it shows the numbers of what its compilling e.g 100/434 so you know when it will be done. You might have a hard time finding it but if anyone wants it i'll upload it. Its not very user friendly though but if you enter the commands in the .bat you'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

yeah, please do.
    /me in dnc anxiosly awaiting people i know

• Advertisement

/me is now in dNC

I tried to compile using that TBBC yolk .... but couldnt. didnt have a clue how to use it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Tbcc takes a bit of time to setup.. IT's kinda not that user friendly...but it's way way way better than hammer.

Quality sig Raven btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thanks drake :D

Uploaded it just now
    HLCC

The HLCC looks pritty good..... Its a lot easier then the Tool Box Navigator piece of poo...

It also allows you to inclue your wads in the bsp file.... finally :)

Though if you care to explain how to use these programs i would find it a great help.

TBCC is good for me, albeit a little slow.

Advertisement