Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not sure if this the right place but...

Options
  • 22-08-2002 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

just been wondering.. cause im in a liabrary and i cant d/l...
    im just too lazy to pay to use the net i a cafe that charges 2.50 for 15 mins,

is there any way to d/l in to your e-mail
    e.g. cant d/l to the computer so ill send it to my inbox and i can run/open it from there..

any suggestions would be helpful bla bla bla
    thanks
    Peace
    Kas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, I'm just a tad confused........and not sure what you want to do......

What I gather is that you wanna access your email from that library computer, email that you get in college or something.

The best thing to do is telnet in (if the library hasn't a firewall or sumfink up).

So, if your POP3 server is mail.student.ucd.ie (mine) then the DOS command is
    telnet mail.student.ucd.ie 110

The commands are then <variable items in these brackets>:

USER <username> - log in with username
    PASS <password> - duh
    LIST - list the contents of your 'inbox', numbered with their size, in octets beside each one.
    RETR <i> - Display message number <i>
    DELE <i> - Delete message number <i>

Of course, if you want to do this on a regular basis, some web-based mail places will take your mail from the POP3 server for you, so you get all your mail in the one place.

If this isn't what you're looking for, I've just wasted a big post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

no seamus.. im sorry i didnt explain properly what i wanted to do..

a friend of mine has a site..
    and on this site he has links to d/l pics of us..
    but the pc here in the liabrary has web marshal installed.. it wont let me d/l, view links, or open pages that have certain words on it like "f uck" "sh1t" etc.

i just wondered was there some sort of address code i could type in to the url slot and it would send them to my inbox.. e.g.
    http://www.site.com/page/link to the pic.jpg MAILTO addy@something.com.

or is it even possable..?
    i know its a bit far fetched..
    thanks
    Kas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It [wa|i]s possible to browse the web by email[1], I did it back in 1996 once when I was messing round with D'Intarweb for the 1st time. I don't know if the services are still running, do a google for them.

Al.

1. I *think* they had the service available for people who had no browser s/w available on their site back in the old days (94 and before).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

IOL used to have a service where you could send a link somewhere and it would download a large file to your email. You still had to download the file but because it was in the IOL server you were getting the fastest speed possible.

It's been so long I can't remember what the process is (if IOL did it, or there is an external option and how).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Do everything with email - http://www.expita.com/

Dizz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Anyone know how good Java Sites for learning java the quick and easy way?

Oh yeah and how difficult is it to programme with oracle databases?

FINALLY!!!!
    anyone want my CV??? :(

im desperately looking for Software Dev work, 2 yrs exp VB C++ and java and a degree, if ur company or one u know is recruiting in the Leinster area, please let me know??? Id post this under classifieds, but not many prog peeps check that one. Im finished in this place tomorrow its going down like the titanic, not even redundo money for the staf. Ive tried all the jobsite, they are crapolla.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Morphéus
    java.sun.com/books/tutorial (that's the best location for beginners, that demand free learning).
    Oh yeah and how difficult is it to programme with oracle databases?
    Not difficult at all. When you are doing DB work with Java it doesn't matter what DB implementation you use. You will be using JDBC which can connect your Java app to an Oracle DB (for example), and away you go. You will just employ a JDBC driver for your oracle DB, and after that your code is completely abstract to the DB implementation you are using.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.fas-netcollege.com/ (or .ie I forget).

The courses are free under certain conditions but you have to pay for any exam you plan to take. I know at least one person who said the course was OK. He got his J2 certification from it.

Advertisement