Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL

Options
  • 22-08-2002 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey folks,

I've just got an ADSL line from Eircom but I am having problems getting connected with my router. I'm using an MRi ADSL modem+router ( I didn't want to pay the crazy price of €900 for eircoms router ). Since its not eircoms router they wont give me much help. I've rang MRi but they're a brittish company and their suppot isn't familiar with eircom's settings.

Every time I run the diagnostic on the router it fails when it gets to PPPoE connection. Has anyone ever come across this before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

if you did a search befor posting you would have found all the info you needed, i have posted it a few times.
    still happy to help eircom are gits

you need a dsl modem that has
    PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE, RFC 2516)
    G.dmt (ITU G.992.1)
    NAT might be usefull if you have a network

The info you will need from eircom.net is
    VPI (Virtual Path Identifier) 8
    VCI (Virtual Channel Identifier) 35
    Login Name ******
    Password *******
    Type of Multiplexing LLC
    Type of Encapsulation PPPoE
    It’s auto DNS/DHCP for your IP
    some of your setting might be diff so you
    You can check the info by ringing the tech ling at
    1800 460 260
    you need to have adsl installed when ringing them.

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by RichieA
    Every time I run the diagnostic on the router it fails when it gets to PPPoE connection. Has anyone ever come across this before.

Does it give any specific errors, or just does it just say failed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RichieA

Thanks for the setting cyote. I already had most of them but it was usefull for the confirmation.

Yup Frank, all the diagnostic said was 'fail'. Its not very informative but whats new.

Anyway, I finally got it online. I had to get a firmware upgrade from the tech support guys. Once I re-entered the settings it worked a treat. Surfing at 1Mb.

So for anyone out there who gets an MRi router, firmware release 5 won't get you on with eircom, you'll need release 9.

Advertisement