Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music suggestions

Options
  • 22-08-2002 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

So i'm looking for suggestions for music in the triphop/acoustic/ambient/chillout kind of thing. I bought the new Nightmares on Wax album and I am hooked so your suggestions please.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Try some electro.

Recently I've got Miss Kittin & The Hackers "First Album", Fischerspooners "#1" and Felix da Housecats "Thee Glitz". All quality examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

morcheeba's new one is pretty good chillout music, i got given a limited edition 2 cd copy:D. the second cd is an instrumental version of the first disc, gud sh|t!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59771&highlight=chill

Fairly recent (couple of weeks ago) post on this topic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20695&perpage=20&highlight=chill&pagenumber=2

Much older thread (over a year ago). If you work through and listen to all the music in those two threads you will be well and truely chilled... and you might have passed away through numbness and innability to move.

Really quickly try:
    Air, Avalanches, Blue States, Fila Brazillia, Groove Armada, Kinobe, St Germain & Zero 7.

Trip hop, downbeat, whatever you'd call it, is filled with plenty of one hit wonders; ie come out with an unbelievably cool song only to have all their other music be unspectacular. So you have plenty of illusive songs, that you've heard 3 or 4 years ago, but can't remember who did it, nor can anyone else. "Deadbeats - Funky for you" is one such example. Saying that the Artists mentioned above deliever consistently, thats probably why they are more famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by Greenbean
    Fila Brazillia

Are you getting paid for everytime you mention these guys? ;)

Yea, those threads have a juicey amount of chilled-out/trip-hop tunes. Can't forget Massive Attack, Snooze deserve a mention (check out "Malandro" by them, great track), their album, goingmobile, is also very good. Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works is worth a listen, Autechre, Amon Tobin - Slowly, Finley Quaye - Even After All, Herbaliser - Mr. Holmes, Yesterdays New Quintet - Uno Esta. There are some gems, you just gotta find 'em :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

"music in the triphop/acoustic/ambient/chillout kind of thing"

ahhhhh. that narrows it down :)
    either way go straight out and purchase the rather wonderful album by múm - finally we are no-one.. you won't be disappointed.

[edit]

Oh and get some Lamb. no more needs to be said on the subject.

[/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Boards Of Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Originally posted by Kali
    "music in the triphop/acoustic/ambient/chillout kind of thing"

ahhhhh. that narrows it down :)
    either way go straight out and purchase the rather wonderful album by múm - finally we are no-one.. you won't be disappointed.

[edit]

Oh and get some Lamb. no more needs to be said on the subject.

[/edit]

Cheers Kali I have the Lamb albums and I seen them at V last weekend (i wasn't impressed by their live offerings)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

chillout, i would suggest Air, and if u went to see them in the olympia, and liked their support act, Sebastian Tellier, i would advise getting his album l'incroayble verite, i got it in comet, its hard to get hold of though, try road.

also Low are excellently chillout, once u get into them u will never appreciate fast music again ;) and may i suggest the album things we lost in the fire. the Cocteau Twins, (victorialand if u want to be really chilled out, although i woudlnt recommend it as a good album to start listening to by them) in paricular their album garlands is very dark, a little electronic, but still chillout. This Mortal Coil are quite nice, very orchestral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I don't think I'd refer to Low as chillout.. lo-fi more like.. and strictly for personal listening.. great album either way, Lazer Beam, Dinosaur Act and In Metal being my favourite tracks.

for something more instrumental not as downbeat (read: nowhere near as depressing) try Bethany Curve or even Mogwai or Sparklehorse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Low's new album is fairly laid back from what i've heard of it, it's also very very very good.
    check out blue states' "nothing changes under the sun", the múm album is great, the new last post album is quite laid back although not really trip hop/electronic, but it's fantastic.

• Advertisement

*meh* i dont know what music falls into what category really so i dont know the difference between chillout and downbeat, :)i just know low's what i put on when i wanna wind down. or go to sleep. secret name is a good album by them too, but thing's we lost in the fire's very easy to get into.

the sparklehorse one's a good suggestion too 'its a wonderful life's' a great album, but i found it took a few listens to to sink in. bjork has some nice stuff to chillout to, as do turn but their album's/ep's arent consistantly slow.

oh, the kings of convenience are lovely and accoustic, and very harmonious(!) too, cant remember the name of their album that i ahve but i'll check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Some nice picks there, Drowner!
    Cocteau Twins and Mortal Coil are fantastic.

I don't think I have to tell anyone to get some Dead Can Dance, now do it? But also try some Mesh, they're extremely good. Apoptygma Berzerk also.

angelwhore, i have knock knock by dead can dance but i didnt really *love*it, which came as a surprise to me coz i know a lot of people who like the cocteau twins and this mortal coil are into them.

maybe i have dead can dance by knock knock ;) i dont know,i won it off phantom fm, he he.

have u heard of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I haven't, tbh.

Get 'In The Realm Of A Dying Sun'

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

"
    Originally posted by GreenFilaBrazilliabean
    Fila Brazillia

Are you getting paid for everytime you mention these (Fila Brazillia) guys?"

If F that i were l the a case I B would r litter a all z my i posts l with l mention i of a "Fila Brazillia". Getting paidf just toi mention Filal Brazillia woulda be pretty darn coolb though. You'rer probably justa noticing themz because theyi don't standl out asl popular asi the resta.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Give Pete Yorn "Musicforthemorningafter" a whirl, its kinda like david gray/ animals pink floyd/ acoustic bits of binaural.
    Try tenacious D for also, good for a while but gets pretty boring after a few listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

múm - finally we are no-one.

I second that and buy the Beta Band - The Three Eps while you are at it and some Sigur Ros

Advertisement