Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid UCI!

Options
  • 22-08-2002 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

On tuesday Conor and myself went to see The Sum of All Fears. Not that unusual. Until the very end, when, just after the Russian guy said "I am looking forward to talking you, Mr Ryan." there was a power cut. For all I know there could have been a nuclear explosion that killed them all! So, I would like to know the real end to the film, and I would like everyone to hate the ESB and UCI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Yeah, UCI sucks in general... go to UGC on Parnell Street... or screen one at the Savoy... now thar be good cinema'ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

What you do there is wander to the counter and ask to see the manger, and complain til they give you your money back or they give you free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

They aren't within walking distance of Conor's house. It's conveniance that matters for me.

Here's a better idea... a sixty two inch plasma HDTV, a DVD player, a DVD writer, broadband, lots of food and beverages.

#1. Steal kick ass TV.
    #2. Steal DVD player.
    #3. Hook above two up.
    #4. Get broadband.
    #5. Download DivX rips of the latest and greatest films.
    #6. Burn 'em to DVD.
    #7. Place freshly burned DVD disc in DVD player.
    #8. Press play.
    #9. Get food and beverages.
    #10. Press rewind and start the film again 'cos you missed it whilst getting food and such.

Notes for a more authentic cinema experience:

#1. Insert skangers and their death threats against your granny. Oh, I am so scared. So very scared.
    #2. Insert muppet who voices his opinions on the film for all to hear. No one gives a fsck you tosser.
    #3. Water down the beverages and pay five times what their worth.
    #4. Spit on your food.

Happy?

You forgot the guy smoking a cigar and laughing loudly. Oh wait, that's me.

What about the dirty seats and sticky floor? If I attempt to recreate them I may (will) have my head ripped off by my parents.

Plus, I don't have a dvd burner and a DivX file would take several months to download onto my 5 year old pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Stop moaning Barry. The UCI kicks ass because:

1. It's within walking distance from my house.
    2. It has 10 sreens.
    3. The Savoy is a kip which is usually full of people who smoke a lot and that really bothers me. They should have a rule against it like in the UCI.
    4. They don't have intervals during Lord of the Rings at the UCI (another reference to the Savoy).
    5. The UCI has tiled floors and a lot less of that scummy red cinema carpet that seems to take up all of most cinemas.
    6. The UCI, though with a high skanger count contains less skangers than the Savoy and the Santry Omniplex cinema.
    7. I'm crap at navigating the city. If I tried to go to the UCG then knowing my luck I'd probably end up in Germany.
    8. I've gone to the UCI since it just opened. Even though I lived in Swords for the first 6 years of my life my parents drove me to the UCI to see films so I feel a certain loyalty to it.
    9. Shut up Barry.

1:Shut up Conor
    2:I said AGREE!
    3:Can somebody please tell me the end as I am not going to see the entire thing again just to see the end
    4:Conor is now officially on my "People to kill on the last day of 6th year" list.

Okay... the UCI does rock, I used to know the manager there and seeing films that are 15s when you're 10/11 makes you feel so kick ass! The Savoy isn't that bad though... I've never had any trouble there. The Omniplex just sucks monkeys nuts. Period.

Re: point 9 ('Shut up Barry')
    I heartily endorse this product and / or service. Is there a newsletter I may subscribe to? ;)

My problem was with the way the power cut problem was handled, not with the UCI itself. I like the UCI. Especially the large coke and popcorn combo. Now there's something that I'd eat for lunch every day. If it wasn't for the rip off €6.50 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by OrangeRhino
    Here's a better idea... a sixty two inch plasma HDTV, a DVD player, a DVD writer, broadband, lots of food and beverages.

#1. Steal kick ass TV.
    #2. Steal DVD player.
    #3. Hook above two up.
    #4. Get broadband.
    #5. Download DivX rips of the latest and greatest films.
    #6. Burn 'em to DVD.
    #7. Place freshly burned DVD disc in DVD player.
    #8. Press play.
    #9. Get food and beverages.
    #10. Press rewind and start the film again 'cos you missed it whilst getting food and such.

Notes for a more authentic cinema experience:

#1. Insert skangers and their death threats against your granny. Oh, I am so scared. So very scared.
    #2. Insert muppet who voices his opinions on the film for all to hear. No one gives a fsck you tosser.
    #3. Water down the beverages and pay five times what their worth.
    #4. Spit on your food.

Happy?

He COULD just hook up the pc to the tv, maybe...

just an economically minded whine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

You're all wrong. Best cinema = Ster Century in Liffey Valley Shopping Centre... about 20-30min outside the city which is its only disadvantage. UGC = complete and utter crap in comparison :)

My options:
    A 5 minute walk to the UCI in Coolock.
    A 30 minute drive to Liffey Valley.

I wonder, which should I choose. I know, I'll be sane and go for the convienant, lower quality option.

You should try it at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The UCI here in Blanchardstown is excellent i have to say. Once recently, there was a minor delay in shooting the movie. Didnt bother me that much...

On the way out everyone was given a free pass :)

The price for the food is of course crazy, more for a pop-corn and coke, then for the bloody ticket!

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I like the UCI
    They sell Ben&Jerry's

Originally posted by pretty*monster
    I like the UCI
    They sell Ben&Jerry's

As do Ster Century :rolleyes: :)

Originally posted by Lyconix
    You should try it at least once.

I have, I saw Episode 1 in '99 in Ster Century. I agree that it's amazing. It's just not convienant.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm sorry, I can't say anything bad about the UCI because they sell Ben & Jerrys! Easily bribed, I know... I can't say anything bad about Ster Century either cos I've never been there. Where is it?
    Has anyone ever been to Bray cinema? Its hilarious because they'll let anyone into anything, probably because they can't afford to turn people away. I got into Scary Movie when I was 13 or something. then again, we always have a good laugh at the Barbie ad.
    Did anyone here see Shrek in Santry at session 1 '01? I went to visit session 1 and saw it with a bunch of people, in the middle of one of the trailers the projector went on fire or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

go fire!

Yeah! Fire rocks! Especially in flamethrower form!

• Advertisement

damn right!!
    PYROEROTICA!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

I was there. That fire kicked ass. If I remember correctly it was an ad for "Recess: School's Out". At first I thought it was part of the ad until the film was delayed for about 15 minutes.

That movie never came out. Oh the hilarity

Advertisement