Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+ improvements

• 23-08-2002 7:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Yup, I realise we don't have the option of getting it here. And the cost is a little steep. Sky have listed improvements they'll be making to the service so for those who are mad to get it (or like me, mad to at least have the bloody option) here are a few more reasons for upping the complaining:

Just ignore the "how could you live without your SKY+" blurb
    Sky unveils major improvements for Sky+ users
    Following on is the full press release from Sky concerning some groovy new features being introduced to its Sky+ boxes...

"Sky+, Sky digital's ground-breaking personal video recorder and digital TV service, is set to deliver even greater levels of convenience and control throughout the coming months. Exciting new features announced today - part of Sky's commitment to on-going enhancements to the Sky+ service - will deliver the ability to record radio (and other manual recording), instantly rewind live TV and record two different channels simultaneously.

For the first time, Sky has revealed the far-reaching impact that Sky+ has had on subscribers in more than 30,000 homes. Research demonstrates that just one year after launch, Sky+ customers are already so loyal that 8 out of 10 subscribers said they would rather do without their turkey or tree than lose Sky+ this Christmas!

New Sky+ features
    The upgrades announced today will be automatically downloaded to all Sky+ subscribers via the satellite enabling them to:
    * Set up radio (and other manual) recordings - for the first time subscribers can create a home media centre which stores both radio and TV programmes. Customers can now record blocks of programming, for example artist interviews on MTV, or a series on Radio Four. Timing: available now

* Extra Time - Sky+ is already the most accurate TV recording device available, being the only system integrated with live, continually updated programme information via the Sky guide. But to compensate for the rare occasions where schedule slips are not accommodated, Sky has added an additional feature that allows customers to set recordings with extra time at the start or end of a programme for added levels of security. Timing: available now

* Instant Rewind - Sky+ will constantly record the channel you are tuned to - so if viewers come in half way through EastEnders, they will be able to rewind and watch it from the start without missing the first bit. What's more, those watching live sport will be able to take over from the broadcaster, selecting their own instant replays of the live action to watch again, such as dubious referee decisions or fantastic goals. Timing: late summer

* Record two programmes simultaneously (while watching another) - taking Sky+ to the next level subscribers will be able to record two programmes simultaneously on different channels, whilst also watching a previously recorded programme - using the existing dual tuners inside every Sky+. For example, it will be possible to record an episode of Six Feet Under on Channel Four and an episode of The X-Files on Sky One at 10pm on a Monday night, while catching up on an earlier evening episode of EastEnders. Timing: early 2003

* On-going updates - Sky is committed to continually improving the service, whether that be adding new features or extending existing ones - all through periodic downloads via satellite. For example, Sky continues to work closely with other broadcasters to enhance the Series Link functionality that allows customers to set a programme to record just once and then automatically record every episode of the series. Series Links are now available on nearly 3,000 programmes on over 60 channels each week - the newest additions being Channel 4 and E4 programmes.

Key Sky+ research findings
    New features and services developed and downloaded to the Sky+ service are based on the results of continual customer feedback. For the first time Sky has revealed research from customers giving a clear picture of the transformation Sky+ has had on their viewing habits.

Key summary of findings:
    People no longer miss out:
    * 9 in 10 say Sky+ means they never miss their favourite programmes with well over 90% of Sky+ subscribers describing it as 'very easy to use'
    * Three quarters (75%) of Sky+ subscribers now actively plan their TV viewing, compared to just half (50%) of Sky digital subscribers
    * 41% plan their viewing a week in advance. Those using the TV guide plan their viewing 4 days in advance on average
    * The most used features are the Sky+ planner, TV guide, pause, rewind/fast-forward and record functions - 95% of subscribers have used them

Viewing interruptions no longer a problem:
    * More than 9 in 10 viewers complained about viewing interruptions (phone and doorbell)
    * However, this no longer bothers Sky+ subscribers, half of whom said they regularly pause live TV and return when they are ready, while two thirds (68%) make a permanent recording of the programme with the touch of a button

Household viewing tensions are reduced:
    * 8 in 10 (81%) people disagree over what to watch on TV, but these tensions are no longer a problem for the 8 in 10 (78%) Sky+ subscribers who said they regularly watch one channel while recording another

Viewing patterns have changed:
    * 51% of Sky+ subscribers now watch a more diverse range of programmes - with movies and documentaries at the top of the list
    * Over 20% of Sky+ subscribers watch more TV as a family
    * Generally at other times of the year over half (56%) of subscribers find they now have more time for other hobbies like going to the gym, surfing the web or calling friends

Sky+ is key at certain times of the year
    * 8 in 10 (78%) Sky+ subscribers said they could not live without their Sky+ this Christmas, significantly more than could not be without either a Christmas tree (55%) or a turkey (45%)."

Posted by John Archer
    To link to this news item, bookmark this address : http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=2170

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As an aside, I'm quite concerned about these people:
    More than 9 in 10 viewers complained about viewing interruptions (phone and doorbell)
    As it happens, Sky were about to do something about it.

But did these weirdos phone Sky to mention that "damn neighbours keep coming around to borrow sugar during Home and Away - can't you do summat about it?"?

I sincerely hope that came up as part of a survey which included "does it bother you when he doorbell rings during Neighbours? Yes, No, or feck off and stop phoning me"

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

was told by sky tech person (take a photo, inform the vatican one with a brain) that people are being trained for sky+ launch in ROI. But he did say everything runs so late that it will be probably next year not q4 of this year as he imagines it was meant to be. he stresses that he hasn't heard anything offical though but he is sure about the training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I have also been told by Sky that it is likely to be next year before we see the Sky+ features available here.

I am very interested to hear what training is required for the introduction of Sky+ here. There will be a list of prices for things such as

The Sky+ sub (£10 in UK)
    The mirror sub (£12)
    Cost of installation (£50???)
    Cost of relocation of original box (£25)

I can't see the installers needing training. Oh look you put this 4 way thingy where we used to put the single thingy. Where do we attach the extra wires?

I was told that the delay was due to a lack of resources at sky. They must be expecting a huge take up of Sky+ over here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

What is this 'mirror sub' you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    What is this 'mirror sub' you speak of?

(lifted from http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/skydigitalfaq/index.html#19a)
    A mirror sub is a second cheaper subscription from Sky. The monthly subscription is £12 for a card that will "mirror" your existing subscription. Sky will also sell you another box for £220 or you can get one elsewhere. You will need to keep both boxes connected to the same phone line in order to have this cheaper second subscription

It's currently not available in Ireland. At the moment the only way to watch two different channels in different rooms in Ireland is to take out a full second subscription at the full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Trade shows are on next week, I'll see if I can get definite info on this subject.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Thanks sceptre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

I wouldnt bother with SKY +, i mean who cares really either way,
    anyone who wants to watch a second tv channel would be happy enough with the mirror sub deal which would be cheaper.

And anyone who is a fan of Television and would want to record stuff for archiving purposes wouldnt be able to use it for that feature at all as the stuff has to be deleted.

I have a simple solution to this problem, Argos Catalogue, DVD Recorder for 899 , you get 4 hours on each disc, i want it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No, Sky+ does have the option where you can download stuff taped to the harddrive onto conventional VHS tape.....

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    No, Sky+ does have the option where you can download stuff taped to the harddrive onto conventional VHS tape.....
    Or if you are having a serious excursion into the realms of fantasy, onto DVDR or whatever thereby retaining your digital quality picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Well maybe im wrong, but from my point of view, doesnt it defeat the purpose if your recording stuff on to Video tape then.
    Id be buying it for the enhanced quality of the picture when recording something it wouldnt suit me to have to delete stuff all the time. Its just another way Sky are using to milk money out of people. Ok you can then record one, view the other, but the simple FTV card and box does the trick for that, or they could just hurry up and offer us the ability to get a mirror sub.

Funny you should meniton DVD R, as i did say earlier its not such a fantasy after all, as in argos for 899 euro you can get a DVD recorder which takes four hours on one disc.
    Thats what i need.

Save your money, or wait they will be cheaper eventually.

Advertisement