Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layne would have been proud

Options
  • 23-08-2002 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Congratulations to the organisers of the Layne Staley tribute gig last night. It was f*ckin brilliant. Great bands doing great covers of the songs. All the acts were amazing but Sundogs blew me away. Neil has the perfect voice to do an AIC song well. I'm hung over to bits but it was worth it. Nice one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

it really means alot to me that you enjoyed yourself :):):)
    u can now put a face to a name. remember the really embarrassed girl who got dragged onstage and froze up and couldn't talk?

...yeah that was me

i'll kill the bastards i swear i will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

yeah i'd like to congratulate all concerned for organising the night so professionally. the bands chosen obviously had a love and respect for the music. they had their work cut out for them and they rose to the challenge admirably. i was very impressed with how tight and practiced they all were. the footage of alice in chains was a welcome touch. i'm going to sound like an old fogey but it was great to hear the songs being played live again and i think it was more fitting than just playing vids or what have you.
    well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Barbara

Hi Seraphina!
    Well done on organising last night's gig.
    You didn't look one bit stupid on stage, if anything you deserved the attention you got for doing such a great job!
    You are obviously a great fan (I saw you singing at the side of the stage and you looked really happy!).
    I hope you were happy overall with the night.

All the bands were great, I particularly enjoyed Sundogs.
    They played all my favourite songs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

Absolutely the Sundogs rocked the place, I never heard of them till last night, they are playing in Eamon Dorans this Sunday and I will be there.
    The last band, didn't start off too good, and I taught we were going to go from the class act of the Sundogs to some **** band, but was proving wrong when they got rid of the acoustics they rocked the place, fair play to them and for a first I was delighted to be proven wrong.

Good night all round.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Little Wing

Acoustic's of the last band I agree but give the guy some credit, He'd just got off a transatlantic flight and got up there man!

And yeah Sundog's were amazing, got the place rockin' as always!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

actually........sundogs were a straight ahead bar rock interpretation of aic which is fair enough and they executed it well but i think thats more the gerry cantrell end of the scale, whereas.....minerva were touching more on the qualities which layne brought to the band. they seemed more capable of emoting and delivering the sinister feel than sundogs pastiche of laynes vocal. i got the feeling that they were more familiar with the sense of the music and lyrics.
    anyways it all served to remind what a talent the man actually was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BEHOLD!

I have to say..The sundogs kicked ass!
    Neil...he looks like a cross between layne and Bono!
    I had fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

Cheers to all for the kind words about us.
    We did the gig because we were fans of the band and love there music. We were fans of a lot of bands from that time and would have wanted to pay tribute to a lot of the bands from that era. It was a great thing to be a part of and we’re really thankful to have done it. Thanks once again to Jean who put in all the hard work and pulled it off, so fair play! We just wanted to get up there and play the songs to the best of our ability. It was a nice atmosphere on the night and between the bands, which was really a pleasant surprise. I got shivers up my spine playing the songs and hearing how much the crowd were getting into it. All the bands played with great spirit and style and really got into to what the whole event was about. My personal favourite thing was when "Myles" played "Seasons" as its one of my favoured acoustic tracks ever + the man can sure sing.
    Thanks for all the nice word's about us, to those who said them. If anyone got flyers from us at the gig then we might see you this Sunday 25th in Dorans.

On a final note:
    Everyone is entitled to there opinion that's what makes the world great. But I just feel that one comment was unfair.
    "Sundogs were a straight ahead bar rock interpretation of aic that's fair enough" personally I don't think that's fair enough. We did if you ask any of the other bands they'll tell ya, probably two of the hardest AIC. songs to do "Sickman" & "Hate to Feel". That comment makes us out to be a cheep AIC rip off covers band, which is totally not the case. We never played an AIC track in our set till that night. We've had 2 top ten tracks of our own on this very fine radio station and they were never even on sale people just rang in and asked for them. It wasn't a competition it was a celebration of a mans life. I was listening to AIC when a lot of people were still in nappies and watching Bosco so I defiantly know what the "sense of the music and lyrics" are about. Although I'm happy with being on Gerry Cantrell end of the scale cause he was at least half if not more than half of the band. Without him there would have been no band + the fact that he used to back up his good friend Layne and sometimes take over on vocals when his drug problems got out of hand. The night was as much for Gerry and the rest of the band as Layne. There’s the ones left behind and I hope they have a great rest of their lives.
    But hey ya gotta laugh ya can't please everyone.
    Cheer's all & hopefully our paths will cross again

Layne RIP. & I hope you’re in a better place. Thanks for the music and a great band

Neil.
    www.sundogsband.com

Originally posted by Neil_B
    I was listening to AIC when a lot of people were still in nappies and watching Bosco

... i hope this isn't with refernce to me, i mean im young.. but im not THAT young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

We had a good time and really enjoyed the other bands.
    Neil...you guys were great..didnt get to talk to you after..but
    I really liked your set...Im just sorry I couldnt watch all of it!

Thanks Jean....I told you not to worry! you did good. :D

It was all for a great singer, let him rest in peace.

thanks.
    Hugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

Seraphina! Certainly not.
    Cheers Hugh as I said above I had a great night and yourselves and all the other bands were great. It will be nice to go and see the bands doing there own gig's etc so everyone keep posting there own gigs. Take care all.

i was at least 7 when facelift came out... well past watching bosco! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irish Man

Hi all,
    I have never really been on this board but one of the guys in the band suggested I make a contribution.
    My name is Alan and I was one of the guitarists in the last band (Breach Pin Halo) who played the 'Layne Staley Tribute' last thursday. The whole thing I thought was very cool, a nice kinda relaxed atmosphere. Each band gave a really great performance and I really do think the man (Layne) would have loved it.
    The guys in the band (which I only joined for the night) and I had a chat and we reckon we might try and do a 2 hour 'Alice in Chains' cover night somewhere like Eamon Doran's some night in the future (when we get a chance to rehearse the songs lol) This will be a serious rocking and sweating evening and no sitting down will be allowed :)

P.S
    I would also like to publicly thank Jean again for having the balls to pull the whole thing off.....you are a star

*waves*

its Jean! :)

yeeeah rockin and sweating i like the sound of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irish Man

Hey Jean,
    You are getting a lot of great feedback, you must be very proud.
    Rocking and Sweating rule!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

really happy to hear it went so well!!

good work seraphina!!!

i'd had this ridiculous grin on my face for 4 days now.... :D:D:D:D

its kinda starting to hurt....

Advertisement