Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

songs for the deaf

Options
  • 23-08-2002 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

i just can't wait, i just can't

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

The live version of the new single 'No one knows' that they are showing on MTV2 rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

i don't have the station but i can imagine
    i wish to jazus they'd plough a furrow over to here
    imagine them in the sfx ala slayer a coupla years ago
    if only

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There was a place in England playing a preview of the album and 37 deaf people turned up thinking it was something for those who were hard of hearing. Poor guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

lol, that's classic.
    The guy at the end of No One Knows freaks me out with his hand thingy and all. Also do you know what festival it's from, the name of the festival is Humo so i am guessing it is German but i'm not certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

One word: Genius

God bless the Queens Of The Stone Age...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ohgratuitous

saw them live recently. brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Yea That album is really cool, btw QOTSA are playin the ambassador 28 quid a ticket:))))) can't wait can't wait

When are they playing.
    The album is sheer genius :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

21st october methinks

i reckon tickets may be sold out already though :(

check www.ticketmaster.ie to see if they are

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Christ that album is excellent.

Proper, old fashioned (yet not sounding dated) rock'n'roll. Really puts the entire metal fraternity to shame.

• Advertisement

Careful there Rob;)

But yes it reeks of brilliance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Robbo reminds me of that kid from Clerks.
    Either that or a bitter old man.

Maybe somewhere in between?

But I haven't heard the new album yet. Never much of a fan of QOTSA tho, songs like Feel Good Hit Of The Summer, and Avon were great to hear in the pub, but I could never bring myself to buy the CD. They always seemed way over-tauted by holier than thou types like Robbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

personally i think if yer gona buy any of them get the new one or
    the self titled one before you get Rated R,

ps AngelWhore which of PZB books are you quoting, tis wreakin me head i cant remember

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Its a fairly good album but not much more, when I first listened to it my reaction was 'this is so dave grohl', second and subsequent listens fleshed it out a bit more but it still strikes me as though QOTSA are not sure what they want to be - a serious heavy band, light rock ala foo fighters or a parody on the whole rock scene. Also I find it is an extremely poorly arranged album, to the point where it makes my head hurt later on into the album.
    All in all I can think of worse ways to spend €23

Originally posted by ThenComesDudley
    ps AngelWhore which of PZB books are you quoting, tis wreakin me head i cant remember

It's from the short story Saved.

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Robbo reminds me of that kid from Clerks.
    Either that or a bitter old man.

Maybe somewhere in between?

I would have gone for an erudite Fat Comic Store Guy...

Lets try and stay on topic, rather than flame Robbo, Mmmkay?

I'll probably try and get a listen to the album, but I wouldn't mind really if it is rather 'Dave Groh' as winning hand puts it. I rather like the foos, but I've a clear idea what the album is going to be like. Again, I can see it being nothing more than a distraction in some alt/rock night club.

Maybe you think I'm being presuptious with my judgements, and maybe I am? But from comments I've heard about it in general, it's basically the same as some mates of mine who hailed one hit wonders The Hives as the best thing to happen to Rock in years. It's just the alt-rock flavour of the month in my opinion, and tiresome comments like Robbo's just proves it in my mind. (Yes I know I said not to flame Robbo, but stay on topic, really.)

I'm sure they'll be as over-played now as when Fell Good Hit Of The Summer came out...
    But a nice distraction maybe?
    Good old fasioned rock?
    Can't be that bad really...

I agree with some of WinningHands comments about the album. It is actually very poorly arranged, in fact it appears not to be arranged at all. Also it does seem to be a bit of a parody of the whole metal scene aswell, to quote from one of those annoying radio pieces after songs, "Radio X, death metal all the time". There are some cracking good songs though, tracks 2-5 inclusive are just perfect listening. At the moment there is no better way to spend 22 yo-yos, well that is legal

Right, well I've had a good few listens to some of the songs.

Now, would someone do me the trouble of telling me something? How exactly is QOTSA able to put anything to shame, when all they're doing is rehashing some stuff Monster Magnet did some 7 or 8 years previously? And band that wasn't even that great to begin with, but at least they had the decency to develop their own sound. You know, the music is actualy worse than I predicted, it would probably irritate the balls off me in the pubs and what-not clubs. No doubt I would have probably loved this 10 years ago, but now it just seems completely redundant. There's simply nothing in the music that strikes me as interesting in any way at all. Where as Feel Good Hit was a great fun, novelty of a song that'd generaly put a smile on my face... The new songs like No One Knows and Hanging Tree are just devoid of all character and originality.

Funny thing is, there's a whole wealth of so called 'Alternative' people I know who are going to go on about how great the album is, and praise it for its originality. Maybe it is interesting if you were completely ignorant to most of what went on in rock music in the mid 90's?

But it strikes me as interesting how single minded people are in that respect. Can't help but think how a friend of mine described The Hives' music as "Inteligent" when all they are doing is just making the most simplistic pop-rock, with lyrics that match perfectly with a Daphne & Celeste song.

I can't get over how accurately the saying of 'Fools seldom differ' aplies to the whole alt-rock scene. It's a kind of ignorance that is only matched by the nu-metal scene. The difference being the obvious age gap, yet the most ironic thing being that bands like QOTSA are regularly plastered all over the cover of Kerrang and Metal Hammer.

Sorry for the rant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Maybe you think I'm being presuptious with my judgements, and maybe I am? But from comments I've heard about it in general, it's basically the same as some mates of mine who hailed one hit wonders The Hives as the best thing to happen to Rock in years. It's just the alt-rock flavour of the month in my opinion, and tiresome comments like Robbo's just proves it in my mind. (Yes I know I said not to flame Robbo, but stay on topic, really.)

Sorry, I've just looked at my tiresome comment and it appears I was rather tired when I wrote it. There's a missing "nu" before the metal part.

And Ken, I thought music was art, a matter of opinion and was neither right nor wrong whatever may come... :)

• Advertisement

You're completely right Robbo.
    That's all it is, is a matter of opinion.
    And even the greatest art has its critics.
    But like I said, I would have probably loved the album 10 years ago.
    And I'm sure there's many people around who'll love it today.
    Maybe I was in too much of a ranting mood?
    But I still say that the new material is devoid of character.

And I still say it's ironic, that the nu-metal scene will be the one to buy into the new album the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

A Song For The Dead is BRILLIANT, probably the best drumming i've heard in years. The rest of the album rocks too, and the live track is class. Dave Grohl = GOD ! QOTSA aren't half bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

ehhhh the nu-metal scene buying into this album the most? there are those among us who have been fans or at least heard the dwarves, kyuss, screaming trees, masters of reality etc. and can contextualise the album in relation to all this and to the debut 'QOTSA' 'Rated R' 'SFTD'. if you mean 'buying into' as indicative of valuing the album then i think you're wrong there.
    is it the hyperbole in reviews around this album and QOTSA being the saviour of rock that is burning you up? well if you read the stuff nick oliveri has been saying re. the title of the album maybe it'd clue you in to ignore the promo blurb? it strikes me that for some reason this thing is putting some of you on the defensive. it boils down to being a matter of taste really. i think it has bollox and is making an effort to strip back rock to its primal core, good tunes, chunndg and attitude, with strong vocal stylings and a hint of noodle. okay there may be more technically profficient bands and better musicicans but QOTSA still rate.

put it this way, given a choice between all that nirvanaesque ripped off hokum coming from the states, QOTSA is a glint of solid gold. its not supposed to contend with or replace vader or whoever. just relax and enjoy the ride, you're in good hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭slash99

It is an absolutely brilliant album!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by the snitch
    there are those among us who have been fans or at least heard the dwarves, kyuss, screaming trees, masters of reality etc. and can contextualise the album in relation to all this and to the

Here, here. Josh Homme is one of the best songwriters in rock-music over the past ten years, and QOTSA are hardly "rehashing some stuff Monster Magnet did some 7 or 8 years previously", as Angelwhore claims. Homme was the major influence on the songwriting in Kyuss, who were making amazing music from 1990, so it could be said that he played an integral part in the formation of the "stoner rock" genre, or whatever you choose to call it.

Of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I'd never criticise anyone for expressing theirs, but I can't help but feel that there is a tendency for anyone who likes a much-hyped band to be accused of following a trend/swallowing the media's next-big-thing blurb. There are genuine fans out there, who like the band for the right reasons, i.e. the music, and not the hype.

Advertisement