Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lennon quits N.Ireland ? LVF deat threat?

• 23-08-2002 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Northern Ireland put the controversy surrounding Neil Lennon's withdrawal due to a death threat behind them to give a positive first half display against Cyprus tonight. Wigan's Peter Kennedy was drafted into midfield in the absence of Lennon and slotted in alongside Keith Gillespie, Damien Johnson and Kevin Horlock and they gave Northern Ireland the platform to dominate the match.

Neil Lennon has announced his retirement from international football following the paramilitary death threat he received in the lead up to Northern Ireland's friendly international against Cyprus in Windsor Park last night. The threat was received by the BBC yesterday afternoon and relayed to the police and then the Irish coaching staff.

Lennon decided to withdraw from the team and his role as captain after discussions with manager Sammy McIlroy and after discussions with his family decided to bring down the curtain on his international career.

He said, "My parents were pretty distraught really, I've a tiny wee daughter who knows nothing about this at the moment and we want to try and keep her away from it as much as we can. I've thought long and hard about it and I've decided I probably won't be going back to play for Northern Ireland. I've enjoyed my career at international level, but it's time for me to say enough's enough."

Lennon admitted to being disturbed when he was told about the death threat. He said, "The Police told me that there had been a call made to the BBC saying that somebody from the LVF had phoned and there was going an attack on myself. It didn't say when but we presume it was going to be at the game. It was very disturbing at the time."

It was meant to be a high point in his International career after he was jeered by a section of the Northern Ireland supporters a year ago after he joined Celtic. That happened in the match against Norway, although in the following home game with the Czech Republic he was given a warm reception by the majority of the fans.

Lennon said, "After close consultation with the footballing authorities and the police service of Northern Ireland I will not be participating in this evening's international game. I am very disappointed that my desire to play for my country, on my first opportunity to captain my team, has been taken away from me."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Sectarian threats and violence has now come into Soccer. I find it completely pathetic that a talented sportsman cannot represent his own country because he was not born Prodestant or English.

Did anyone see Rangers introduce an orange away strip for this season? It has been the best selling Rangers top so far, to me it's cashing in on sectarianism!

He has now missed the chance to play for his country. In international football, there is no greater honour than this, and it is only offered to the most committed and talented players. I also feel sorry for the people of Northern Ireland who, it would appear, have lost a class international player and an inspirational captain. Maybe Mick can give him a warm Welcome in the Republic?

Advertisement