Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Pc's

• 23-08-2002 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how many pc’s do most of ye guys own and use regularly, I’ve 2 and am think of buying a 3rd , Main Pc is a Dell spec below I use this as my server as such, I’ve a satellite card setup and am downloading files at between 4-8 mb per sec, this slows up the pc I have another Gateway 2000 P166 networked using a 10/100 hub and run 98se on this I have all the storage on the main pc, I’m think of buying a 3rd pc from Komplett again another Intel P4 1.9 512mb ddr2700 memory. I seem to keep buying and buying computer and always keeping them for some use. Does this happen anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah me i have 3 machines at home and am planing a 4th and i havent the heart to part with any of them even my old over clocked p1 200!

I`ll just network them all.. have my own small home LAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by tech
    I’ve a satellite card setup and am downloading files at between 4-8 mb per sec,

If that's true I'd be very interetsed to hear who your ISP is.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I dont think yo uneed to use an isp when you download with a satelite, you can only download with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    I dont think yo uneed to use an isp when you download with a satelite, you can only download with them!

So that would make them an ISP wouldn't it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Really the only point in buying extra pc's is if someone else in your house is going to use it. What the hell are you personally going to use 2 p4's for? When you upgrade a machine, fair enough, keep the old one. I have 4 machines at home, but 2 of them I paid nothing for, and I use them as unix machines so I can learn more about freebsd and linux, I also have a laptop and desktop. Buying another high spec machines tells me that you have nothing better to spend your money on. Well, think of something else you can buy, like some clothes, or something for your house, or give the money to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

By the way, you should have the p166 setup with the satellite connection, then it won't be slowing down your main pc. ( and yes, a p166 is well able to handle a data transfer of 4 - 8 mb per second ).

Advertisement