Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM question

Options
  • 23-08-2002 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Ok, simple question really.
    I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with 256Mb RAM.
    The system has two Dimm's and the documentation says that the system limit is 512Mb.
    So basically i want to know if i can put in more than 512Mb?
    I'm running XP pro, so that won't be a problem.
    I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's successfully done this.

Cheers,

Killian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

You may well b able to put in 2 512 meg ram sticks. What the system is saying is that each slot can only hold 1 X 256meg stick of ram but it is possiable that it will hold more. You can get a program called sisoft SANDRA, it does a lot of stuff but it will also let you know the maximum anount of ram you can have in youre system.

I do not have a dell system do i can verify if youre system will take more than the spec says.I have a gateway system and it says in the manual the most i can put in is 768 in the 3 slots that system has, but I have been told by an ex Gateway tech that it can go up to 1.5 gig. I dont think gateway sold 512 meg sticks of ram at the time and so they dident want people looking for them so they said the system limit was 256meg per slot, but in fact it could take more! So perhaps youre dell is similar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Cheers!

I was thinking something similar, that the reason they had 512Mb limits was because the systems, at the time, were only being sold with win98 which doesn't utilise more than 512Mb.

Again, if anyone can verify using more than 512Mb that'd be great.

Cheers,

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah sounds just like Dell/Gateway paint them all with the same brush i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

You are stuck at 512mb. Your machine has the intel i815 chipset. This chipset has a maximum memory capacity of 512mb. You can't change this, it is a deliberate hardware design choice.

Ok, thanks fellas.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah thats a pity, blame Intel so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

yeah, they did it to encourage people to move to the p4 platform instead. Bit of a cruel business decision...

I've been doing some reading and it seems that intel purposely crippled the i815 chipset so that people would think that their RDRAM based chipsets were better. Oh well. 512Mb will have to do.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

you might not care. But it could void your warrenty if you do. Maybe?

Advertisement