Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blow ins

Options
  • 23-08-2002 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

I was born in Dublin. Aged 5 i moved to Meath(not on my own). When i started national school I soon found out it's tough been a dub in Meath. I was always made to feel like an outcast. Was always picked last for a team even though i was a good team player. If i done well in class with results or won a completion i was jeered and made little of. I know that this was years ago and that childern can be cruel, but it had an lasting affect on me. I was always defending myself for been a Dub.

And it still carries on to this day, nearly 18 years later. I seen it more now with other "blow-ins". At parish meetings "blow-ins" opinions mean sweet feck all. I've even heard "what would you know, you're only a blow-in" throwing at someone.

Why is it hard been a Dub in Meath?

And would you call me a Dub or a Meath man?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Jebus if you moved there age 5 you're probably more of a Meath man than I am. I do know to some extent what you mean although my family is all from Meath my mum and dad moved to Africa when I was less than a year old and stayed there til is was 11 or so. It was kinda difficult moving back especially to as close minded a place as Meath/Navan is.

Personally I welcome the "blow-ins", especially to the urban centres Navan, Kells etc. The Navan I grew up and went to school in could definately do with some fresh ideas and people. I don't like to see people moving into the Meath countryside but thats mainly because I think there's enough houses there already.

What I don't like to see is the profusion of enourmous housing estates around Navan they just look like ghettos waiting to happen. To be honest a large proportion of Meath people can be extremely unpleasant especially to "outsiders" you should just do what I do and punch them in the cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

If there is one word to describe the vast majority of meath people, it would have to be Clandestine. If you wanted to take it a step further, you might almost call them Secular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Hobnail monkey are you Mr Dictionary???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah, the joy of being a blow-in. Where my GF is from (country County Cork) they do that to people all the time. Personally I think they're idiots for regarding people in that way. It's one of the reasons I'd be slow to move to a small country area.

Happens everywhere in country areas. Less so in the cities but people are always moving around there (plus, as a general rule, more people move (or at least seem to move) from the country to the city than vice-versa so it doesn't bother peopleso much that you may be a monster from, oh, jebus, some other county or other settlement area)

I've gotten pretty stroppy and sarcastic when people used the term"blow-in" to describe anyone in a less than nice fashion. I usually point that "blow-ins" help stop the possibility of inbreeding and get more caustic from there.

Advertisement