Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow burners........

Options
  • 23-08-2002 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

having had Asleep at the back by elbow for a long while and only realising its true greatness recently I was wondering if anyone else out there has albums that took them a fair while to get into or albums they slated but grew on them in time?

my other two that spring to mind are berlin by lou reed and {a lot of my mates are the same on this one} Loveless by my bloody valentine.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Mundy - 24 Star Hotel
    Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows
    Incubus - Morning View
    The Frames - Fitzcarraldo

All took a while to grow on me, but now they're frickin' great:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

yeah the exact same thing happened to me with asleep at the back...i bought it in the Virgin closing down sale...and i bought so many others that it didnt really get a proper listen...but when it did i couldnt turn it off...its a really good 'start to finish' album....

another one is faith no more's king for a day fool for a lifetime...i bought it and only listened to the first 3 tracks for a good while...and then about 2 years after i bought it, i listened to the whole thing and i was just blown away...the last track is amazing and the title track as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

sketches by jeff buckley is deffo one for me
    everything else i pretty much liked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

doves- last broadcast

took me a while to get into it

probs cos i kept repeating pounding... what a class tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

The Frames - Fitzcarraldo
    Longpigs - the sun is often out
    Weezer - Pinkerton
    The Crocketts - We may be skinny and wirey

oh and CD2 of Melon collie and the Infinite Sadness

ill post some more when i think of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

oh yeah...cd 2 on mellon collie....didnt listen to that for ages after buying it...maybe coz cd 1 was so good...but as soon as i listened right thru, i had to do it again and again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

mmmmmmm Star by Belly,everyone else I know that has this has said the same thing,but an absolute gem when you do get into it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Recently it was probably Druqks by Aphex Twin.......was fairly dissapointed when I first heard it, too much hectic programming and not enough melody, but lately I have grown to appreciate the sharp contrast of the mellow child like innocence of some tracks and relentless violence of the others

other slow burners that I can think of over the years .............Bossanova by The Pixies..... my least favourite record of theirs.......but still plenty of great stuff on there.....beats the **** out of most of today's rock bands....

Sign O' the times By Prince would be another

anyone heard Captain Beefheart's Trout mask replica....that's one that's burning right now........very slowly.... made as **** but great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I agree with most some of the one's mentioned already but I also didnt like rockin the suburbs by ben folds when I first heard it but It realy grew on me and whipping boy is another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Kurdt
    oh yeah...cd 2 on mellon collie....didnt listen to that for ages after buying it...maybe coz cd 1 was so good...but as soon as i listened right thru, i had to do it again and again...

i must say that i regarded 1979 as one to skip when listening to CD2 than a couple of months after the album's release, i saw the brilliant video and then suddenly the song was fantastic ....and still is

i hated massive attacks "unfinished sympathy" in its year(91?/92?) but a few years later it was class.

and the most extreme change of heart was finding a song by
    my bloody valentine called sometimes at the end of a tape i used to record a dave fanning show one night about 5 years back. i thought the song was awful, eventually the tape was recorded over by songs i liked but the closing minute of
    the song remained at the end of the tape and every time i heard
    it i just got drugged more and more and its now one of
    the most amazing songs i've ever heard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement