Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reign of Fire

• 24-08-2002 2:22pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

By god this is a fun film! I can't remeber the last time I enjoyed a film so much in the cinema.

Set in a post-apocalyptic world where dragons have come back and laid waste to everything they see, it starts off in a castle populated by a rag tag group of survivors. Their little world is rocked when a group of americans arrive, led by a self proclaimed Dragon Slayer.

The special effects are rather good, the only really bad shot being one of a devestated London late in the film. The dragons themselves are far superior to those in the last film with Dragon in the title. They were all dragons should be, agile, fast and breathing lots of flame.

Theset pieces are excellent - I especially like how they saved some one from a dragon early on.

Mattew McWhateverwas rather good as the borderline physcotic dragon slayer and Christian Bale did well as the English leader. Their dialog was witty and didn't seem stilled (a problem most films of this genre suffer from).

There were one or two bits that were over sentimental, but they are forgivable.

Highlights of the film for me was the Star Wars tale and the big surprise the Americans bring with them.

Not a film I think everyone will enjoy, but feck it, I'll be getting it on DVD as soon as it comes out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

i agree,
    its a really fun film.
    dragons look great.
    Bale is a legend.
    plot was solid.
    not too hollywoodish.

worth seeing.

way better than MIIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I thought it was a great film. Had some good ideas. The dragons were thought out brilliantly. I would of liked to see more plot resolve at the end. But I would recommend it to anyone. The fight was great, especially because some of the key punches. and the headbutt were real! I read it in an interview somewhere that they decided to smack each other up a bit for the sake of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

star wars bit was good, reminded me of that bit in return of the jedi with c3po and the ewaks. Good film best film of the summer so far , thoght i still hav'nt seen sum of all fears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I also agree with the above comments..
    A better action film than most ... bit of everthing in it to please everyone bar the non love scenes etc.
    But a bit of chemistry between bale and the misterious pilot at the end got me thinking... procreation.. he he
    Brilliant film all round. Full marks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Didn't like it at all. They could have done /so/ much more.

And for a film about killing dragons, there wasn't an awful lot of dragon killing being done, was there?

Oh, and the special effects were teh lose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

well, surely they kept the amount of dragons down too add to theyre mystery.

i agree, seeing the ad makes you think theres gonna be loads, ok, theres not, but when they are on, theyre brilliantly animated.

you didnt see many "aliens" in alien/aliens. ok not a great comparison, but i found the amount of dragons on screen justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Avervge movie but enjoyable.
    I thought the dragons looked good when seen flying around the sky or on their own but any scene with a person and a dragon at once looked a bit cack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Didn't like it at all. They could have done /so/ much more.

And for a film about killing dragons, there wasn't an awful lot of dragon killing being done, was there?

My thoughts exactly. I thought the ending was a little bit silly due to the fact that
    ok so they killed the male but what about the other few hundred dragons that had flown away. Do they just disappear or something?

Could have been worse I suppose, it was better than Monsters Ball anyway.
    I thought the dragons looked excellant though.

Would I reccomend it? In short no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

entertaining movie,
    no brains but enough balls to keep the girlfriends away.

(heli jumping was kinda cool)

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Makaveli
    ok so they killed the male but what about the other few hundred dragons that had flown away. Do they just disappear or something?
    I think the started eating each other - the male was already doing this as there was practically nothing left for them to eat. I would guess a few of them started hibernating as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Laughed my ass off at it, not because its a good film, no its a very poor film, dragons look class but it would appear that most of the budget was spent on funky looking dragons and not that much on class actors, would have been a very good film if the actors could act. Its also got all those moments of supreme of cringe like when your man jumps off the building matrix style, nearly slide of my seat with laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The thing about this film is, it's rated 12s, and it's really a film for kids. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend you don't.

And why the hell was Matthew McGonnewhatever wheezing and groaning the entire film? The short answer is he was trying to sould older but it was so annoying. It sounded he had a constant frog is his throat. Cough it up ffs! We'll wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just saw it, and really liked it. A 15s rating and some shock gore would have made it a bit better, but it was very enjoyable none the less....

What I'd like to know is why it allegedly cost 100m to make? Were the crew using eircom ADSL to check their emails? :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Saw this last night and I was very disappointed with it. It promised so much but just didn't deliver. Its not that its a bad film but its definately not a good film either I left the cinema with a cold empty feeling, I wasn't entertained by it. Christian Bale was very good but Matthew McC was totally mis-cast.

I feel they either ran out of money or they cut the film to recieve a 12's rating. I agree more gore and violence would have made this more enjoyable & believeable (yes I know dragons believeable!). It will be interesting to see when the DVD comes out how much was actually cut from the film.

If you haven't seen it save your money and rent it out on Video or DVD in a few months.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

I liked it, even wrote a review of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

where did they get the tank. i bet they didnt lend it of the irish army, it looked like a m60 or similar. now theres a reason for the army to get some decent armour so filmakers can use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i have to go and see it now!

i like the look of it already and it was made in ireland!

Advertisement