Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Poshers....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

I don't think its entirely the poshers or micro-moshers faults. Whenever you go into somewhere like HMV or Virgin, they are only pushing the new stuff, never giving the older CD's or different Genres (Death, Black, Industrial etc.) any kudos. Can't blame the little hoors if they are not being given the big picture. If you really want to help these poor unfortunates,get them to give you some blank tapes or CD's and then copy some music for them. It'll give them a good taster so they can go out and look for better CD's themselves.
    I've nothing against Nu-Metal though, some of uit is kinda good. I'm not easily duped by advertising, but I like Linkin Park, Saliva, Mushroomhead and bands like that. But at the same time, I like Devin Townsend, NIN, Type O Negative and Slayer.
    It has to be said though that Metallers seem to be the most Elitist music fans around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hmmm... both my sisters kids are little nu metal/goff types which suits me cos its better than having them listen to westlife and they might actually grow up to have a good taste in music.

(Altho' i'm a bit concerned that they've started nicking all my old slayer pantera and COF cds, I dunno if some of that stuff is really suitable for their tender little minds...not too mention that cover on vempire..... ) :)

the music industry does seem to be targetting teens/ preteens a lot more than they used to. Its quite weird, almost like the whole goth/dark/satanik thing has become a harmless form of fancy dress for kids who can't wait for halloween. I blame buffy :)

what really makes me laugh is all these old skoolers who act like the first album they bought as a kid was deicides legion or something. g'wan ourra that, ye were no different to these little baggy goth babbies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by substr
    Did the thought never cross your mind that people might listen to music because it makes them feel good? If these ppl want to listen to nu-metal, who the **** are you to say they shouldn't ?

i go with the general jist of this post, without the nastiness!!!

like deco says, it can be training bra music.....these kids will probably either grow into the music, or out of the music. years down the line, they'll either be really trendy and look back on their nu metaller years with embarassment, or else they'll be full blown die hard metal fans, and still look back in embarassment ;)

in all seriousness though, your taste is changing and expanding at that age. i look back on the music i listened to a few years ago, and it does nothing for me, but it was the stepping stone to the stuff i listen to now. there are still bands i listened to when i was a bit younger, and i still love.

I'm not really a huge nu metal fan, although there a couple of bands that i do like, and i dont mind some of the single's, and i hate bands like blink 182and sum 41, and i cant understand why anyone would listen to it, but i wouldn't think badly of someone who does listen to it. also, u ahve ignore their making mistakes with artists, i know i didnt have anything near the amount of musical knowedlge that i ahve now, at that age, and ive still so much to learn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gelmir

Angelwhore why don't you shut the hell up?
    You seem to think that because you don't listen to nu-metal, you are superior to everyone who does? Did the thought never cross your mind that people might listen to music because it makes them feel good? If these ppl want to listen to nu-metal, who the **** are you to say they shouldn't ?

They wear baggy jeans, hoodies, etc? SO? Theyre a damn nice change from the usual nike/adidas/reebok wearing scum around dublin.
    AND THEY SKATEBOARD TOO? OH NO!! CONDEMN THEM FOR IT?!
    Pls start making some sense or stfu.

I must have missed something, where exactly in his post does Angelwhore "Condemn" anything. Dude if you want to post how about you keep it relevent ,cheers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have to say I cant stand this nu-metal stuff myself.Theyre like boy bands in a different guise.And whats with the baggy jeans--on wet days these people are soaked up to their knees from the capillary action of the jeans dragging along the ground:)
    Sooner the better they grow out of this "phase" and start listening to decent metal.
    And as someone else said earlier on they all seem to br pre-pubesant "kids"
    What next a Linkin park/limp bizkit doll collection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gelmir

What next a Linkin park/limp bizkit doll collection.

Christ man don't post **** like that, what if the record companies are watching..........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And honestly Rob, do you think you're the first person to ever make the connection between modern day Goths and the Germanic tribe of the same name?

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

spam! spam! SPAMM00R!!!

*cough*

and
    Did the thought never cross your mind that people might listen to music because it makes them feel good? If these ppl want to listen to nu-metal, who the **** are you to say they shouldn't

yes, the thought crossed my mind.. for maybe 5% of the "baby-goth" population ,the rest of 'em are just followin the trend.. which is what most of the people arguing against them don't like.

also, they are just bloody annoying :)

oh, and HMV can stock some pretty good metal.. saw some RAGE and ICED EARTH in there last time i was down, and Helloween..

never seen any Blind Guardian though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It seems to me that some people have forgotten that this board is here for DISCUSSION. If you want to state your dislike of something, you're all free to do so as long as you're not being an ass about it. Now get some fecking context skills, some of you.

And PLEASE!
    Try to remember this one, people!
    Goth is a genre that was born from the post-punk bands like Joy Division, Siousxie And The Banshees, and from dark rock bands like Bauhaus.

Goth music has exactly 0% relevance to nu-metal.
    And the fact that Goth music isn't metal at all seems to go right over the heads of a lot of you.

Just do me a favour. Listen to the song 'Silent Hedges' by Bauhaus, and tell me if there's any possible link to nu-metal at all. Then we can talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ok... not quite relevant but WHERE HAVE ALL THE STATISTICS COME FROM!? there have been quite too many %'s in the last few threads for my liking.. <sigh> "smoking is a major cause of statistics"

• Advertisement

The statistics have come over from the admin board dimension, simply to get up your nostrils.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ahem, excuse me but does it really matter what kinda music these kids like, because after all, they are just kids. They dont warrant so much effort to slag them off, just because they mixed up Led Zeppelin with Pink Floyd, and what have j00. I will listen to music I like no matter what. Does it really matter how many ickle kids are wearing makeup. I know its funny. It doesn't make me angry enough to complain about it. I just bow my head and sigh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Just thought I should get involved in the discussion again....

I came across the term gothling/baby goths because it described people who where not goths but who liked to think they where...

These are people who give themselves labels that have little to do with the historical context (Bauhas, Joy Division etc) and just subscribe to name because it makes them cool...

And the fact that they come off all smarmy when you talk to them about music...

:mad:

And this skateboarding crap...what utter bollox...

How about they we just ship them off to Califorina instead where they will finally find a home in the culture they're trying to copy...

... deco... that last post was the complete opposite of what angelwhore was on about.

And the term is "baby bats" ;p

The scary thing about modern music is that it's all about how successful you are and not how good. It's so rare to find a band that are happy cause they make good music and not because they're making a big splash in the underground/mainstream scene.

But I guess that's a rant for another day.

"When I heard that the rolling stones got into music to get girls I thought 'What a bunch of ****' - We got into music for the music" <or something to that effect> - Bruce Dickenson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by Mordeth
    hehe, moths :)
    and a baby moth is a myth :)

ok now back on topic.

i suppose we should say "baby-goth/baby bat" thingie have NO relevance to (the classic form of)metal(i should say again,i listen to death,which clouds my opinion of most other metal bands :D)

originally posted byt lemming

Just a thought ......

perhaps trhe entire "nu-metal / baby-goth" phenominon is the fault of the music industry in its current guise.

man you hit it in one :)
    yes this seems to be the main problem affection ALL genres of music now(apart from pop :))and then they have the cheek to blame it on p2p networks and mp3 sharing(but i'm not going to open THAT can of worms)

personally i'd shove nu-metal in with the (well i suppose there is not real term for it so i'm gonna say) "nu-goth".it's all a shove to sell more cd's.like the punk revolution in the 70's.it's not the fault of the bands,it's the fault of the ppl who give them such distribution worldwide :(

all in all i'd say that this will die down in a few years.nothing to worry about(i mean,think of what the world would belike if the chimpmunk invasion stayed around!)
    alrighty that's most of my 2c.

Well they're is always hope Ruaidhri....

Not too sure myself though....

I think we need another musical revolution....

as I said before....

Death To Faux Metal!

:D

Aye... look at hair metal and grunge... When's the last time a big tough metaller was seen in stilletto heels? I mean even Motley Crue have facial hair now! ;p Grunge killed that and then grunge was killed by people dressing in black and trying to impress us with how they are REAL satanists at 13. Next up is either 60's/70's flowerpower stuff <cause people are getting so disheartened with A). all this dark stuff and B). the corporate world in general> or 70's/80's big dumb hard rock.
    Oh yes!

Originally posted by lordsippa
    grunge was killed by people dressing in black and trying to impress us with how they are REAL satanists at 13.

Care to elaborate?

As far as I remember Grunge killed itself.
    Nu-Metal came along then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jilt

And the fact that they come off all smarmy when you talk to them about music...

I would like to agree with that. the little b@$t@rd$ try to show you up with there indepth knowledge like the exact length of a song without actually feelin what the song means. but psychologically, they just aren't developed enough, give 'em 5 years.

I basically meant that grunge was killed off by the change in taste of young uns... but yes. True. Grunge was mostly destroyed by its own self destructive nature... suicide and od's etc... Not that all the bands were gone however.

Anyway, that's enough of me going off topic methinks

• Advertisement

Actualy, while I'm at it, I'm curious... What is everyone's idea of what 'Goth' is exactly?
    Most people here have no clue, tbh.

So, could you just give me a rough idea of what you think goth is?

Bauhaus and the Sisters of Mercy....

The Cure and Joy Division.

Ok, so how the hell does this get confused with little poshers on skateboards?

BTW, bestest goth band = Fields Of The Nephilim

Because most of them tend to call themselves "goths".....

Sad state of affiars when people call themselves goths and have never heard of the Sisters Of Mercy...

That's probably true.
    People are generally closed minded and ignorant enough to think that goth/industrial/metal/rock/punk is all just a variety of names for the same thing.

Look at that reconmendations thread where someone called incubus 'Funk/Industrial'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

My fav is getting called a 'goth' for wearing black clothes
    or see'ing scummers wearing slayer tops and the like and they they try and slag u and call u a 'rocker' lol,

Anyway ppl will always do stupid things for un-known reasons,
    as for goth music, its music goths like init, some of it is electro stuff and some of it is in band form either way it comes its nothing like punk-pop whatever the **** or nu-metal,

As for punk pop i rekon, sadly, its hear to stay as its POPular
    as for nu-metal i think it will be dead as america is dominated by rap/hip-hop/r'n'b and i think everyone says 'pfft' when they hear a band described that way.

But what i'm really trying to get across in this post is that i hate CoF i hate them so very very much, no thats not fair i only hate the singer........... so very very much. Altho i would love one of their 'Dead Girls don't say no' T-Shirts but they were limited edition.

eh i do go on don't i

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think its COF's fault for starting all this "baby bat" stuff. They have been trying to involvethemselves with this nu-metal scene for ages methinks. When you go into a shop like Asha, all you can see is 13 year olds looking at their t-shirts along with Manson, Slipknot, Korn etc. That just tells you where the problem lies.

Asha's has some pretty cool stuff in it...(maely black lipstick:)) however the the amount of posers that doss around in their is depressing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 escapeing death

in my opinion the best goth band are the cure and in my opinion the pureset expression of goth before it got corrupted

Advertisement