Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spear Fishing/Free Diving in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

yeah but thats on o2 stlldamm hard though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That's a bit of a con, allowing them to breathe pure oxygen first. It makes the feat a bit irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The more I read this thread the more I would like to give some snorkeling a go...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 gubasas

Hi all
    I think a club would be a good idea I am based in west cork. I will gear up for the summer and definitely will be spear fishing in the summer and I also smoke the fish that I normally catch plus I know lots of good remote places around the west cork and beara so let me know how things are going and hopefully will meet up in the summer
    email me : gubassas@yahoo.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Saw these on gumtree
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/63/54659363.html

Some body here might be interested but I reckon you need to know what you are doing before you buy something like them

• Advertisement

Pretty good value in fairness and you could proabably haggle a bit. I have a similar mono but never use it other than in the pool. It was the first I ordered and didn't know much about them. While the footpockets/straps need to be tight on mine they are excruciating and I can only wear it for 15-20 mins max but I would have gottena bigger blade if I was re ordering again. If the foot is too loose you lose a lot of power in the transfer from your body to the fin.I decided to wait and go to a few comps and meets etc and try on a few other types to have a better idea when ordering.

Also a mono is crap for spearing or recreational freediving. Its excellant for pool of freeding for depth only like when attached to a line. The traditional long bi- fins are excellant and give you the most mobility in the water imho.

Hi guys I am thinking to go for some snorkeling this weekend anyone been diving lately is there any fish around at this time or is it all gone dipper? I was also thinking to go spearfishing.

Hi Gubasas, was out last sunday in mullaghmore, sligo as there was no surf. the vis was excellent but its too early for catchable fish. You could get scallops etc if you know where to find them.Wrote about it here. Fking cold though.

http://irelandsocean.blogspot.com/

Theres some videos etc at the top and a few pictures of previous dives.

thankx tedshredsonfire
    I am lookingforward to this I had my first dive on 30th of january this year got lots of scallops but was freezing as I still dont have my proper gear ready for the season so I used only 3mm suit with some close undernith but it was really good I enjoyed it a lot. This week end I will try area in west cork around Baltimore hope the vis would be good woold like to see some fish though couse I also like to do some rock fishing
    I will let you guys know how it went

Well guys, Today seams like a good day to get my but in to the water. I also bought a lobster pot yesterday will try to set it up near the shore by the rocks I never tried it before but you never know ;). Does any one has any tips on wats the best place to set up the lobster trap?

• Advertisement

Well guys I've been there done that vis was sh** but I got a lobster pot set up so will go today after work to check it out and hope it will be better today but the good news is that the water wasnt that bad exept hand were absolutelly frozen but after a while you just dont feel them any more :P so I am delighted looking forward to a good weekend

Well how was everybodys weekend? I done lots of diving, snorkeling etc. Visability was at its best on Sunday the place was very nice but I havent seen a one bloody fish where are they all gone? I guess I will have to wait till summer to do some spearfishing. Didnt get any lobster in my pot maybe the place is wrong for that or it isnt deep enought but any way it was worth the cold.:)

Good man rocky kelpy bootom is best for lobster but I think you need a permit to have a pot but could be wrong. There was also a law about returing females and notching them with a v but think this may now be defunct but not 100% sure. If its only one pot its hard to see how you would have any hassle. What have you used for bait inside?
    The fish wont really return for another month or six weeks so just keepo up the practice but try and make sure you have someone with you who knows how to help if you have an accident.

Thanx man. I researched the laws in regards of lobster size females and so on. so I am in clear with that but then again in Ireland for any law there is one that contredicts it ;). As for the bait I used herring and mackrel the depth about 5-6 m. on the low tide and rocky bottom. I will be pereodicaly going in and checking if the fish is back also wil set up my smoker to have it ready for the time when fish arrives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Molpe

Hi everyone!
    I've been living in Galway for the last two years and I've done some spearfishing there. The west of Ireland is amazing!!
    Now I have just moved to Dublin and I'm looking forward to going diving here, but I don't know the good areas, accesses, etc.
    I'm also looking for people to go together.
    Can someone help me?
    Will someone be interested on going together with me?
    Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FreediverK

Hi Guys,

I'm an AIDA** qualified freediver and I do some pool training in the NAC (National Aquatic Centre) in Blanchardstown on Tuesday nights between 9pm - 10pm. I train with the Ocean divers scuba club there, safety divers are there to. If there are any equally qualified AIDA **, *** or **** freedivers out there who would like to join me get in touch.
    I havent ventured out into the sea yet as I'm sceptable about the safety issues but am certainly up for travelling to do some diving around Ireland.
    I have never speared before but would love to give that ago to.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MARKDENISSEN

Hi. I'm going diving on the west coast this weekend at spots that i know well. There are fish but i wont be spearing. Just need that diving feeling. There are spots that are safe even if the sea is a bit rough. Anyone that wants to come with can meet up in Clifden.
    denissen.mark@gmail.com
    Cheers

Hi Mark will be out this weekend but in sligo. Bothair bui is a spot I had a nice dive in a few years back at carraroe theres a fair current runs at the tides if i remember correctly but the vis was good. there was meant to be a trawler sunk there too but couldn't find it the day i was there.

Of the people reading on here how many would be on for a course and would you liek it to be more focused of pure freediving or spearfishing. assuming i qualify i will probably hold either one or two course over the summer more if theres a demand for it but would hope to limit each course to a max of 6 person but ideally 4 any ideas or suggestions?

Hi Tedshredsonfire. How deep is that trawler do you think. About the course, what would you learn. Do you deal with shallow water blackout.

Hi mark if memory serves me certainly less than 10m I think. there was meant to be bouy on it but that was a few years ago. Ask around the locality and they may be able to help you more on it.
    On the course it will be an Apnea Academy course http://www.apnea-academy.com as long as I pass all my tests next month. So yeah SWB will be covered along with correct breathing, equipment, technique, diet, training, yoga/stretching and safety at sea. The idea of any of these courses is to improve aquacity and make diving deepr or for longer a lot safer. But for spearfishing this is not always whats required depends on what your after.I am unsure where to pitch it as either pure freediving or try to blend in some spearfishing in to it as well. I have speared before and hunt fish with the camera but would not be an expert spearo by any stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Molpe

Hi Tedshredsonfire, I would also be interested on the apnea course. I mainly do spearfishing but I understand apnea as basic to practise this sport.
    Please keep in touch after your course. This is my email address just in case (jperibanez@m50concession.com). Regards.

Why have all you dudes got hearts in your columns

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Riskee

Hey guys just joined boards and it's great to see there is a freediving/speerfishing scene in Ireland . I have been at it a few years now .Last summer I was in the water 5 days a week off west cork . My Averages were a depth of 15-20 meters with approx 50 seconds bottom time scouting fish . living in Dublin at the moment and would'nt mind getting the gear back out if anyone else is around , Have to start training to get back up to my summer standard.

enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Riskee wrote: »
    15-20 meters with approx 50 seconds bottom time scouting fish enjoy
    sounds a bit riskee alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 williamw

hi lads
    i have been spearfishing a few years now mostly around dublin wicklow and wexford.
    if any of you guys want to get involved check out deeper blue forums.
    http://forums.deeperblue.com/
    they have a britain and ireland section and a dedicated irish section in that. its the best place to learn everything you need to know and to meet others wherever you live in the country.
    the scene is made up of probably 40% irish and the rest non irish, lots of europeans, i have been fishing with irish, greek, french, american and spanish. they are all very helpful and friendly and happy to give advice.
    the site also has a shop who deliver whatever you need to ireland in usually less than a week.
    PS rubber powered guns are legal as far as i can tell (but still an offensive weapon if not handled discretely) but compressed air guns are treated as a firearm.
    PS
    please no one should try this alone, not without some idea of risks and safety proceducres and how to look after your buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8 williamw

look forward to seeing some of you guys on beeperblue soon.
    http://forums.deeperblue.com/uk-ireland/85259-ireland-spearing-2010-a-13.html

hi william who are you on db. i'm fcallagy.

+1 on not diving alone lads especially at 15-20m depth and a buddy is someone that watches all the time and knows what to do if the **** hits the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 David Murray

FreediverK wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm an AIDA** qualified freediver and I do some pool training in the NAC (National Aquatic Centre) in Blanchardstown on Tuesday nights between 9pm - 10pm. I train with the Ocean divers scuba club there, safety divers are there to. If there are any equally qualified AIDA **, *** or **** freedivers out there who would like to join me get in touch.
    I havent ventured out into the sea yet as I'm sceptable about the safety issues but am certainly up for travelling to do some diving around Ireland.
    I have never speared before but would love to give that ago to.

Cheers
    Rory
    Hey Rory,

I used to dive with Willie but had to stop. Im not qualified in anyway to be a free diver. However i regulary go out alone with my camera in the Sandycove area. I have no intrest in breaking any Apnea world records just enjoying being in the Ocean photographing. As for spearing fish i got a gun a few years ago in Spain. When it came to the crunch i preferred shooting with my camera.

Drop me a mail if your going out. Saftey in numbers.........man.
    Take it easy.

Regards,

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Two Stroke Mick

Hi all first posting

I live in Castlebar. I do some freediving max depth 12-13 m (I usually dive on a wreak to the east of inish gort lighthouse (clewbay). I am interested in learning how to do this right. The wreak is just in my reach on a low tide (neap) I was thinking of going to GB later in the summer to do a course. There dose not seem to be may interested in this sport there is a bigger following fro scuba (which I also do)

Regards

TSM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fitzy_1982

Hey Rory,

I used to dive with Willie but had to stop. Im not qualified in anyway to be a free diver. However i regulary go out alone with my camera in the Sandycove area. I have no intrest in breaking any Apnea world records just enjoying being in the Ocean photographing. As for spearing fish i got a gun a few years ago in Spain. When it came to the crunch i preferred shooting with my camera.

Drop me a mail if your going out. Saftey in numbers.........man.
    Take it easy.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi Rory/ Dave

I done my advanced course with Ocean divers last summer. I go out around Dublin Bay whenever I can during the summer months. I'm hoping to get out for my 1st dive of the season next saturday afternoon on the boat.

I started diving in 07 however I snorkelled for years before that with a club in Naas. I would love to get into freedving.

Dave I think I met you last summer on a boat dive out to Dalkey island, if memory serves me right you were on your own with your camera in hand.

Rory do you actually train at free diving in the NAC. If any of you ever want to hook up and go for a snorkel give me a shout.

Regards

Alan

Advertisement