Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spear Fishing/Free Diving in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 David Murray

Fitzy_1982 wrote: »
    Hi Rory/ Dave

I done my advanced course with Ocean divers last summer. I go out around Dublin Bay whenever I can during the summer months. I'm hoping to get out for my 1st dive of the season next saturday afternoon on the boat.

I started diving in 07 however I snorkelled for years before that with a club in Naas. I would love to get into freedving.

Dave I think I met you last summer on a boat dive out to Dalkey island, if memory serves me right you were on your own with your camera in hand.

Rory do you actually train at free diving in the NAC. If any of you ever want to hook up and go for a snorkel give me a shout.

Regards

Alan

Hey Alan,

Good afternoon, how you. Great to hear your getting back in the water. Yes you got it right that was me with the camera on the boat. I do remember meeting an Alan but cant put a face to the name, did you have a girlfriend overseas in Scandanavia..................

Love to hook up for a snorkel, been out the last 4 weekends, cold water vis not so good but love it, great fun. Havent taken the camera in Irish waters this year. Off to Red Sea in 3 weeks. Looking forward to hearing.
    Take it easy.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fitzy_1982

Hi Dave.

No my wife is from Blanchardstown but I can see how you might get it mixed up:confused:.

We'll have to arrange a snorkel so, I'm going to be doing exams in collage until the end of May but after that i would be interested in meeting up. I was hoping to start getting a few mid week snorkels in the eveingings after work when i have a bit of time. I just can't resist taking a break from the studying this weekend and getting into the water for a dive.

I havn't been to the red sea but i heard its amazing. I know there is a group on there way back from the red sea now from Oceandivers. The furthest i might get away this year will be a weekend in kilary if I'm lucky.

Alan

Hey Alan,

Sorry for the mix up man. Best of luck in your exams, might see you on the boat at the weekend going to suss out the vis tomorrow for snorkeling. Id say there having a fantastic time over on the liveaboard. Hey Kilary is a great spot love going down there.

Evening snorkeling sounds bloody fantastic, due to my work ill only realy know a day or two in advance if ill be free, if that makes sense. Have a spare digi camera that your more than welcome to shoot with, but no strobe.

Anyway mail or Face book me drdavidjmurray@hotmail.com

Take it easy man

Dave.

Alan[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Hi david on my way to the red sea at the moment so I will fill in on my return just made the flight this morning to gatwick dublin opened at 4am and i got a flight at 8am. will be in sharm tonight all going well.
    What part are you heading for?

Hey Man,

So glad you got a flight out of Dublin, its still touch and go. Im also off to Sharm. Was lucky enough to get there last Jan, Oct, April. Not sure if you have been before or if your diving or snorkeling/free diving. One of my favourite spots is Sharks Bay Beach. Go to Sunshine Divers and tell them i sent you, ask for Klaus, Maire or Islam and theyll sort you out.

Also make sure you check out Pacha on Friday evening/Saturday morning, Fantastic. El Fanar Beach is also a great spot down from the light house.
    Anyway youll have a great laugh, take a huddy and socks on the boat for the trip back to shore. Look after yourself.

Take care,

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Hi guys, I kitesurf and got a sit on top kayak last year for the no wind days, have only been out around Dublin Bay and once to Ireland's eye. Use to do a lot of snorkelling in Oz and tried spear fishing without much luck. Anyway, I love anything to do with the water and I know this is heading more into a free diving post but some said they did a lot of snorkelling too. I was wondering where do you go close to Dublin to snorkel. Will be bringing the goggles out on the kayak next time out to Ireland's Eye or Dalkey island anyway.

Agree that Killory is a beautiful place, did our Padi course dive up there a few years ago and it was great.

G

Just back from a cracking week More info later and hoping to get a site set up and courses started next month. I am the first Apnea Academy instructor in Ireland. A quick vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwfOFnUqIho Highlights were swimming with an oceanic white tip shark and trianing with Umberto low points were missing a whale shark twice.

Just back from a cracking week More info later and hoping to get a site set up and courses started next month. I am the first Apnea Academy instructor in Ireland. A quick vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwfOFnUqIho Highlights were swimming with an oceanic white tip shark and trianing with Umberto low points were missing a whale shark twice.

Hey Man,

Well ****in done a huge congrats you should be very proud.
    Keep me informed when your starting something and count me in.
    I dindnt realise you were going over to the Master, definitely wouldnt have reccomended going to Pacha on Friday...............haha.

Near which reef/area did you see the oceanics, Im flying tomorrow cant wait love to photograph one. Well i say that from the comfort of my kitchen, i know id ****e myself in the open water...........
    There not shy at all.

Pitty about the Whale Shark, ah well another reason to go back next year.
    Love the vid thanks for sharing ill post a link to my photos on my return.
    Take it easy.

Dave.

Hi Dave we were based at Tower bay a little bit outside sharm there are two or three really big phone mast there. the hotels have private acces there but I am sure you would find a way down anl look for the apnea one centre there at edne village club reef. say you are diving with marco or paolo and they should let you in. then just walk down to the reef. The whale shark was there twice and was there before as well so seems pretty regular.
    Heres a link of a video of the white tip that andrea took. If you look under his name you will see the whale shark as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/aritub08#p/a/u/1/QgFmqNy2Ajw

Hi Dave we were based at Tower bay a little bit outside sharm there are two or three really big phone mast there. the hotels have private acces there but I am sure you would find a way down anl look for the apnea one centre there at edne village club reef. say you are diving with marco or paolo and they should let you in. then just walk down to the reef. The whale shark was there twice and was there before as well so seems pretty regular.
    Heres a link of a video of the white tip that andrea took. If you look under his name you will see the whale shark as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/aritub08#p/a/u/1/QgFmqNy2Ajw

Fantastic video, there prity cheeky sharks..........
    I know where the phone mast are, the boat usually stops off there after some trips. Ah the excitement Wo Hooooooooo. Just checked my camera bag for about the 50th time.

Thanks for the reply and sharing your vid, love it.

Take it easy,

Dave.

• Advertisement

have a great time there dave and give us a report when you get back also chsck us out here www.freediveireland.com
    I'll hit you up on facebook too if thats ok.

have a great time there dave and give us a report when you get back also chsck us out here www.freediveireland.com
    I'll hit you up on facebook too if thats ok.

Hey Man,

Holy ****, whale shark this morning, enough said.
    No bother with facebook give me shout. Thanks for the link. Take it easy.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fitzy_1982

Lads

Your making me jelous . Keep the pictures and vids coming, they are excellant.

Ted, Stick me down for the free diving course when you start them. Its about time someone started up something like that in Ireland.:D

Cheers

Alan

Dave well done whaleshark you lucky bastd. enjoy the rest of the week.

class video here if you have not seen it yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQITWbAaDx0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

nice video.. I wonder if he took a gulp of air from the cameraman at the bottom, he would be burning oxygen climbing back up without an airbag to lift him.

recedite it was his wife/girlfriend doing the filming and she was also freediving so no air was had but obviously there must have been loads of takes to get all those angles.

class video here if you have not seen it yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQITWbAaDx0

Classic vid........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 branwenn

HI
    I have ny gear here, so let's go spear fishing.
    I am interested.
    please mail me at branwenn@hotmail.com
    TacT wrote: »
    I'm looking for a dive buddy who may be interested in snorkelling/freediving and spear fishing (the last being my big interest)

I've tried various clubs etc but this very surprisingly is not practised here by anyone (or I just haven't found them yet).

I have no trouble in finding a dive buddy for snorkelling/scuba but what I am after is someone who has an interest in a) Spear fishing b) eating the days catch, c) travelling to and from sites, and finally d) learning how to spear fish.

I've been putting some serious thought into getting a spear fishing club going for a month of the summer or over the weekends. The waters here are extremely rich and fruitful and I'm positive some great days out can be had but unfortunately I do not know the waters here well enough and am very skeptical about going out there on my own.
    Although I do it all the time in France (alone) I know how strong currents are in relation to the tides etc. and have been practising on the same sites and various others for nearly 10yrs now. I know where fish are when and why but I haven't got a bulls notion about things here.
    Well I have a small idea about Hook Head in Wexford and I'm mildly familar with the waters around dalkey island.

I live in Dublin but am always willing to travel.

If anyone goes out shark fishing or anything wonderful like that to sites such as the sherkin islands off cork where huge pollack etc can be taken then I would love to get on, get dropped off while you are off fishing and get picked up whenever your finished Or alternatively let you give me a chance to take a couple of test dives around a few area's to suss it out myself I will greatly repay you with whatever you require for your troubles.

Thanks for listening.

branwenn wrote: »
    HI
    I have ny gear here, so let's go spear fishing.
    I am interested.
    please mail me at branwenn@hotmail.com

How ya lads,

Been out of action after my Red Sea trip, back injury. Anyway now its sorted and am dying to get back into Irish waters. Can only do Dublin for the next few weeks which might not be ideal.

Have been down in Bullock Harbour a few evenings recently and theres a few seals very close to the outer wall. They have no problem following small craft in and out of the harbour entrance so I am guessing they are not shy at all. Which might turn out to be a bit of a hand full, but never the less this would present fantastic photo oppertunity.

To be honest I had planned to get in with them today alone, but cold feet and stayed dry with my son, there agility in the water puts the willies in me.....haha.

Again im not looking to break any apnea records, just enjoy snorkeling and photographing what I see. Reply, mail or Facebook me drdavidjmurray@hotmail.com if anyone is about next weekend in the Dublin area.

Take it easy boys.

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

That sounds great, I will try to tag along. No camera, no wetsuit, but I want to get down!

Heres a quick vid of the pool session lads I should have the sea session finished in a day or two and should have more dates set up by the end of the week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yngOx4wHeEo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Was up in Carringmines TK max has a few bodyglove 5mm dive suits xs, s, m and L no XL looked good glued and blind stitched with a loading pad on the chest, for 120.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SpearFizz

We are running the 2nd A.I.D.A Certified Freediving Course in Portroe Quarry on the August Bank Holiday Weekend. There is one place left if anyone is interested. Contact me via Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1076604617

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Can i sell my spear gun privately in Ireland or what is the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cloda

i guess toe into water so!!

Skipz if its a banded rubber gun no issues if its a pneumatic speargun then it should have a license and would need to be sold through a dealer afaik.

Yeah i heard that info alright, just wasnt to sure. Is there anywhere on the net that i could sell my speargun (rubber band) that you might know? I have a omer-sub excaliber 2000 thats 75cm in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimmyparke

how much you selling it for? How old is it?

• Advertisement

Its about a year old. Id say 50euro.

Advertisement