Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car failed the NCT...

Options
  • 24-08-2002 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

My car failed the NCT today. The reason was the the reflectors were red and not amber! The second time it goes for the NCT they fail it for having "differant" coloured reflector lighs. I wonder why they didnt fail me the first time for having red reflector lights...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

reflectors, that a strange one, indicator lights gotta be amber tho. tis illegal for them to be any other colour. Don't think those headlights with a blue/green in them are legal either but ya see loads.

besides seems like an easy enough thing to change conciderin other stuff that could of been fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Gideon
    indicator lights gotta be amber tho. tis illegal for them to be any other colour.

jeez, didnt know that.. I've seen plently of cars around with red indicator's .. like american style... usually on boy racers cars

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

what to do is cover the reflectors up with some black tape or something. Then they dont care. Did that and it passed. :confused:

The car is a jap import so thats why it had all the reflectors along the side. Was never told anything about them on its first NCT.... why do they bring it up now.. :confused:

Passed it though :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Let me tell you somthing that will prove the boys at the NCT centres have a sense of humour after all.....

I bought a '91 Renault 19 for 600 quid. It had issues from the minute I got it, overheating, head gaskets, fan motor, the lot.

Eventually, the day came for its NCT. The car had been out of work for two months prior to this for threatening to blow up every time you started the engine. It was also going through batteries like Luke Skywalker on Christmas morning.
    It was towed to the NCT centre.

And passed.

I just had to change my brakelights, which were the same shade of yellow as my indicators. Bit of red paint on the inside, problem solved.

And for some reason, they never batted an eyelid at my green/blue reverse lights.

I think it all depends on whether its coming up to lunchtime, whether he has a hangover or not, whether its a rainy Tuesday on the third hour of the fifth day.....I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That would explain why on my travals I still see the odd car with panels held to the boxframe with rust and packing tape!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

And they needn't even bother with the test that shakes the sh1t out of the wheels, all they have to do is take it for a spin on ANY of the roads in Ireland (even "motorways" and bypasses cannot escape the cowboy workmanship). Incidently the road to the test centre here in Dundalk is laughable, even a lunar rover would have trouble navigating its way through.

PS as an aside, when I was in for my NCT a brake line exploded when they were doing that test where they put the wheels on rollers and then stand on the brakes, fluid everywhere !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D

I bet that went down well with the test crew...!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

Hey winter I sorry to hear about your car but heres my story. My car went to do the NCT. I past it but the dip**** tester decided to tell me that my car had a slight bit or rear end damage to it.I turned to him and said "Thats by no means slight its ****ing 600 euros damage"I grabbed the cert and ran.It had been caused two months before the test.The night before the test my mechanic lined up my lights but told me they would say that they were out of line.They did that exactly.My side repeaters are black and my whole rear light cluster is sprayed jet black and you can hardly see them.And guess what they paased me!!!!The teater started playing with the airhornI had fitted to my car for my sisters wedding.This all took place in Kells Co.Meath.It just shows the difference between centres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Hey Bo, no fair , your attached pic is only showing the roof of a car !!!! Looks suspiciously like a scooby though, a WRX perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

Sorry about that Dr. Heres`s one that shows the whole car.If this one doesn`t work its a 2001 honda prelude.2.2 Vtec fully loaded with full leather interior.Its my brother in law`s in America.He`s only 19.Sickner or what

• Advertisement
Advertisement