Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Connell St

• 24-08-2002 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

As uve seen it has already begun. The O connell st "regeneration" project is underway. With them eventually makin the entire st pedestrian wit no cars, the giant "spire". Yes, something that symbolises ireland in the 21st century, a giant needle:rolleyes: :p . And the bizarre square trees they have in the artist impression. Is the person in charge a total ****in troll? well no shes not, but the corpo certainly is, pack of ignorent ****es:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't know why everyone is so dead set against the spike. Personally I think it's kinda funky and a bit modern - just what the street needs a centrepiece in it's redevelopment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Qualm

i'm with BuffBot, it shall be an interesting centre piece type thing for the city.

Plus, its going ahead and no amount of complaining or whining is gona stop thme, so i say lets hush!

I'm for the pedestrianising of o'connell st, *if* the dub. corpo can somehow improve public transport and encourage ppl to use it, cos then *hopefully* the whole place will become less crowded and rediculously traffic jammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i think the spike is a horrible thing. its really dumb, not even artistic. i hear there is gonna be carvings on it up the first few metres which might look nice, but knowing dublin it'll get coverered in dumb scummer graffiti such as...

Jacintah -L- Deco and/or

[insert scummer name x7]
    Mates '02

etc.

from the pictures that they have around o'connell st. it looks like it'll be 20 times taller than the gpo, anyone exactly how high its meant to be?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

eyesore is the word I would use to describe the spike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have the workers in the factory making it finally come off their strike then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

from the pictures that they have around o'connell st. it looks like it'll be 20 times taller than the gpo, anyone exactly how high its meant to be?

Twice the height of Liberty Hall or so i heard. I'm not exactly for the "Spire in the Mire" but I'd say we'll get used to it. Wasn't this thing suposed to be finished for the millenium? Typical Irish orginisation. Did you know that 25 years ago there was a proposal to make some kind of rail/light- rail network in Dublin? Good luck to anyone who ever plans to ride the metro in their lifetime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I think its kinda stupid, it is probably going to be the easiest terrorist target ever, and heaven help anyone there when a 200 metre spike of solid steel is falling over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by SOL
    it is probably going to be the easiest terrorist target ever, and heaven help anyone there when a 200 metre spike of solid steel is falling over

1) Ireland isn't exactly the focus of any terrorist attacks now is it? And even if it was there'd be plenty of better targets.

2) It's not solid steel.

3) It's not going to fall over unless you have one big f-off bomb. The foundations are really deep.

- Kevin

p.s. Everyone hated the Eiffel tower when it was built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You cant go up the spire though can you?
    That would be kind of cool, stick a lift in the middle and put like windows in it.
    I think I should go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by nesthead
    i think the spike is a horrible thing. its really dumb, not even artistic. i hear there is gonna be carvings on it up the first few metres which might look nice, but knowing dublin it'll get coverered in dumb scummer graffiti such as...
    I agree with this and it's not exactly gonna be a famous landmark like the eiffel tower. Why exactly is it being built again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Repli
    Why exactly is it being built again?

It's a "Millennium" project. After the debacle over the Millennium river clock, the Corpo decided they'd better be sure and have some project done for the Millennium that the whole country could be proud of instead of those useless things going on down the country that aren't even going to be finished for the celebrations*.

They also needed a proper replacement for Nelson's Pillar to act as a focal point for the street (the hoore be the sewer just doesn't cut it, I suppose)

Anyway, we're pleased to say that the spike will in fact be finished on time for one or other of the Millennium celebrations, even if we have to have one every year until that prick is stuck into the centre of Dublin.

*like Cork with its new sewerage system. Paid for in part with government Millennium money and no-one can't say it isn't a step forward. Also not finished, mind you, though they';re getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont really like the Millennium Mickey. Its a bit boring. Unless it was loike the worlds biggest spike then it might be good. You think they might have come up with a good idea. I could make a better one.... a giant server. Think of that. The worlds biggest server on O'Connell Street. That would be great. Would provide heat for homless and most of Dublin City too....Dublin city center would have its own climate..... :D

/me copyrights the idea before its stolen ...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

The centre of Dublin needs a focal point a replacement for nelsons column which was robbed from us. The corporation had a competion, people where able to vote for their favorite design, Dubliners as usual stuck there head in the sand.

I voted for the design I liked, it won, grand, I am happy democracy wins again over apathy. Providing food and heat for the homeless is a worthy cause, and perhaps the money would be better spent on it, however the majority of Irish Tax Revenue is earned in Dublin. Dubliners deserve an inner city they can be proud of, the monument in international terms is not that dear, wieghing in at 13 million. This is what the public asked for by democratic means, if you didn't vote, nuts to you, I look forward to the day I can walk down O'Connell street in piece, free from traffic and admire the architectural masterpiece that will be the 'Monument of Light'.

This is a symbol of the change in Dublin, similar to the glass pyrimad at the louvre in Paris (link) , a marring of the old and new. Dubliners or the Irish in general are a self depreciating bunch and will always exaggerate the negative in anything they do as a nation (save maybe in sport). I remember when the M50 bridge was being built about 10 years ago, Dubliners scoffing at the waste of money and that it will never be used, they said something similar about Anna Life, and then shed a tear when she was forced to move, they moaned endlessily when Grafton Street was pedestrianised. Now I hear similar things about the spire and the port tunnel, and I don't argue that their hasn't failures such as the Time in the Slime etc. But God loves a trier and I will be f**ked if I begrudge the Spire because it is something different.

I am sure 100 years ago Dubliner reviled Nelsons Column, and now its absence has left a gapping hole in our city. Funny how things change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

good post MDR

valid points and could not agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Well said, I agree with ya also MDR.
    And could the rest of ye shut the fúck up moaning like abunch of bitches? Jesus!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I think the spike is phallic.

/me thinks some corpo eurocrat somewhere wants to kill his father and marry his mother.

I think the spike is phallic.

:D

The 'Monument of light' design was submitted by a london based design company ... eh so, it might well be inspired by someones phallically obessed subconsious but it would be either that of the london based designer or the dublin citizens that voted for it, any phallically obessed civil servants didn't get a look in ... poor them ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Its a bit like the Eifle Tower (if thats how u spell it) no one liked it when it first went up - now its always associated with Paris.

Still I'm sure someone will give us a laugh later by trying to climb it or somthing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'm not thrilled with what it will look like but what really disgusts me is the € 4 million being spent on it when there are so many homeless in the city and there is only 1 hostel for kids ( under 18's) in the city with far too few beds.

How many of the new flats int he dock lands could have been bought with that money and then turned into shelter accomidation ?

• Advertisement

How many of the new flats int he dock lands could have been bought with that money and then turned into shelter accomidation ?

I'm not being funny, as I have already said the money may have been better spent, however €4 million will buy you around around 16 X 1 bedroom flats or 12 X 2 bedroom, so thats around 24 beds in the docklands, leaving no money to employ peeps to look after the kids, which incidentily is quiet expensive too.

The building of the Spire is nothing to do with social services, people only begin to talk in terms of how the money could have been better spent, when they don't value what is currentily spent on. The spire doesn't enjoy many supporters, but ask yourself this, it is costing around €13 million including the regeneration of O'Connell st, which most will agree is badily needed, especially when you consider the tourism industry and quality of life issues.

However when compared to the national stadium project, which still enjoys around 70% popularity, and is likely to cost €600 million or the the regeneration of Croke park at €45 million or how about ramps in my neighbourhood at €18,000, are these really essential things, however they all continue to be relatively popular. I rarely hear, 'nuts to football lets give the kids somewhere warm to sleep'.

Looking after are children and our vunerable citizens is important, more important than anything else, more important than a stadium, more important than ramps, more important than a spire. However if you want to cull money and plough it back into social services or any other worthy cause. There are plenty of places to start before the spire. I don't consider it to be a waste of money, I value it, I think its important, more important than ramps and more important than a stadium.

Therefore when I think of terms of things I can sacfrice I look elsewhere first, thats just me, I have different values after all €600 million would only buy you a few more beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by Thaed

And just on the moaning issue, can you imagine the moans from the residents of the apartment blocks if they learnt a homeless shelter was to be in or near there buildings?

The whole 'not in my backyard' pathetic attitude, where they will say ... whaaa the property prices will be affected' etc etc ... all the same tired excuses we hear each time a traveller site is proposed etc.

Hehe might be worth doing just to piss em off!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well I would say nuts to football :)
    but apparently there is now no state funding it is going to be comercially built. As for regenerating the city centre it is not something I am worried about. Personally the city centre is not somewhere I go even once a mnth.

And when i say home less I do not mean the the ideal that springs to mind of the drunk/druggie in the door way but there are a hell of a lot more people then that with out a safe clean non hazzards place to call home in this city.

A lot of these are families with small kids that are trying to live out of B&Bs cos there is now where currently they can afford to live, or worse crashing in hostels . Yes i know ideally you shoudl not have kids until you are set up for it.

But th elikes of the spire and all teh other frivolties the government ok in the face of this and other matters makes my blood boil.

Now if only i couldt somehow seize control of the country just long enough to change how the money is spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Xterminator

And just on the moaning issue, can you imagine the moans from the residents of the apartment blocks if they learnt a homeless shelter was to be in or near there buildings?

The whole 'not in my backyard' pathetic attitude, where they will say ... whaaa the property prices will be affected' etc etc ... all the same tired excuses we hear each time a traveller site is proposed etc.

Hehe might be worth doing just to piss em off!

X

I don't know, a lot easier to sell your place with a homeless hostel around the corner than whith a homeless person across the doorstep. (a freinds apartment block reqularly has someone homeless sleeping in the lobby)

But this is rapidly turning into a humanities thread.

I am glad to see the regeneration of O'Connell St, but that Spire is a little boring for my taste, it could have been something a lot more creative. Nevertheless we're stuck with it know.

But th elikes of the spire and all teh other frivolties the government ok in the face of this and other matters makes my blood boil.

I don't agree entirely, just because you don't pass down O'Connell street regularily you feel the money wasted. How many Dubliners (who pay tax) walk down it daily.

I often get a similar argument from friends from the country, because the money isn't being spent on their local priorities, it is being wasted (why waste money building something in Dublin ?).

Don't get me wrong you have a valid point, social justice is important, the government by cancelling the stadium spending I hope is also demonstrating this priority.

The only point I wish to reiterate is, 'the regeneration of O'Connell street IS also important'. It has been 10 years in the planning, and its not something Dubliners should be robbed of at this late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Personally I don't see the point in sticking a 100ft dildo in the middle of O'Connell street, I reckon we should have a 300ft bronze statue of DeVore. Far more intersting imo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

We could use the spike for sticking the heads of corrupt politicians on, just like in the olden days. That would be far more effective than any tribunal.

Thats about the only purpose it would serve.

I'd like half an hour alone with it and a hacksaw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

As part of the regeneration project I think they should get rid of all the dark/badly maintained shops/amusement arcades/ chippers /pharmacies.
    Make O Connell st more like grafton street. Places like Dr Quirkeys and that other hellhole darky kellys or whatever its called should be given the boot. They attract the wrong type of people into town to basically hang about and look dirty.

On grafton street every shop has a nice shopfront, there are no arcades and generally no scangers hanging around doin fuk all. Im not saying that i shop on grafton street but it is nice to walk down a well maintained street. Generally the standard of shops on the street will reflect the standard of people walking down that street.

As part of the regeneration project I think they should get rid of all the dark/badly maintained shops/amusement arcades/ chippers /pharmacies.

a percentage of the money will go towards grants to shopkeeper to improve their shop frontage ...

• Advertisement

well its finally going up ...

Advertisement