Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lord Of The Rings?? Aragorn's surname????

• 24-08-2002 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what Aragorn's surname is? And i already know about the heir to Islidor, and Son of Arathorn, BUT WHAT WAS HIS SURNAME?? Not his birthright or whatever. Pleez help cuz this is driving me nuts!!!! ive watched the film bout 5 times and can't hear any mention of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

erm, sorry but I have to laugh.

Do you know what surnames are? They usually indicate who you are descended from. i.e. what your family name is, what line you come from, etc. Hence the irish "Macwhoever" meaning "Son of whoever".

At least twice in the film, it is mentioned that aragorns full name is aragorn, son of arathorn. So I suppose his second name is arathorn, if you want to think of it like that. On a related note, ever notice that you don't hear much about the surnames of say, the kings of england?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

er........well.......er........erhmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Haha, shot down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

yea laff it up man but ur time will come!!!! when u er...when u ......want help and wont realise wot ure sayin!!! plus i'll just say i was drunk when i posted it so there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Aragon McDonald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

Aragorn, son of Arathorn, also known as Elessar and later crowned Elessar Tencontar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Aragron McArathorn an t-ainm atá air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Little known fact, his last name was Banville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Aragorn Minogue is his original name, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Gerry wrote: »
    erm, sorry but I have to laugh.

Do you know what surnames are? They usually indicate who you are descended from. i.e. what your family name is, what line you come from, etc. Hence the irish "Macwhoever" meaning "Son of whoever".

At least twice in the film, it is mentioned that aragorns full name is aragorn, son of arathorn. So I suppose his second name is arathorn, if you want to think of it like that. On a related note, ever notice that you don't hear much about the surnames of say, the kings of england?

Well, the Queen's maiden name should have been Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg-Gotha iirc but her grandfather changed the family name to Windsor during world war 1 because of anti-German sentiment at the time. All future Kings and Queens of England are known by the surname Windsor by act of parliament.

The Queen's married name should actually be Elizabeth Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg except Phil the (mostly German) Greek changed his name to Mountbatten when he went to britain.

As you've said, they didn't go in for surnames in the Lord of the Rings but Aragorn is from the House of Elendil who came from the Lords of Anduinie so I guess he could have used either of those as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Fluffy Stuff Buffer

Aragorn O'Reilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

one does not simply give aragorn a surname:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Aragorn Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is it just the hobbits that have definite surnames so( Baggins, Took, Underhill,Gamgee ) think some of the men in bree had surnames too...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement