Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade question

• 24-08-2002 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Uhmm i aint too much in detail on roms and emulators so i got this eeny weeny question

How do u find which emulator u need for certain arcade boards. Cause I really really am a Sonic nut and in 1993 they released a sonic arcade game (u might remember the top down speed frenzy) so i'm up for a bit of digging to find the emu and rom that can run it. And this is my 4th stop on this search.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

well, if you dont know what system an arcade game came out on your best bet is www.system16.com . it covers almost all early, mid and late 90's arcade systems (anything before that is in mame anyway.) if you find what your looking for there or if not try a "emu"lation website from "china" from there you will find anything you need. but as far as i know there ware only 2 sonic arcade games, one on the system 32 hardware and one on the model 2 hardware. for a model 32 emulator go here http://www.emuhype.com/index.phtml?s=modeler&ss=index . there is also a thread on model 2 emlaultion on the board at the moment so check there for info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Most of the sonic games actually made it to arcade in japan at least. Basically the megadrive with custom chips in an arcade cabinet.
    System16.com is handy enough but it's far from comprehensive. They double list some games and quite a few are listed for the wrong board.

http://www.klov.com

This will almost definetly have some form of information for whatever game you're looking for. I have a vague memory of sonic top down games but i'm buggered if i'm gonna go looking thru that list again, cos it takes forever, but it should give you some info.
    Also i think the game you're looking for can be bought, i saw sonic 3D and sonic arcade (both top downs) for sale for about 8 euro's in HMV on henry street.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Sonic-Arcade is available to play through Modeler and uses System32 hardware. It's top down view and used a roller ball in the original cabinet
    sonicarcade.jpg

The second Sonic game Sonic Fighter is based on Model 2 hardware. Screenshots have been released of this game on an unknown emulator (As reported by bugs in another thread) so you might be able to get hold of it soon.
    As has been pointed out most other sonic games released in the arcades are basically megedrive versions and you can use Gens or whatever to emulate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sonic arcade is one of the games that they aren't able to emulate in mame yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Originally posted by Blisterman

Probably cos the CPU required to run it thru mame doesn't exist yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by Blisterman
    Err....Yes Modeler handles the sega 32 and model1 emulation. Apparently the developers plan to realease the info to the MAME team once emulation is complete. As it is modeler runs sonic arcade at full speed with sound on my P3-500 with mame expect to double it;)

Advertisement