Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Slane had its day???

Options
  • 25-08-2002 2:04am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is Slane finished?

My opinion (no wait!! Listen!!) is that it's definitely had its thunder stolen by Witnness,and a good thing too.

The venue itself (or great big slope, if you prefer) is totally ridiculous. It might have washed in the days when you could stroll in with three cases of yellow pack beer, tight jeans and a mullet, but it's definitely not the place for proper crowd control. The poor guys in their flourescent yellow jackets had it tough on Saturday.

There was one set of portaloos. These were the worst I've ever seen, and I have seen a lot of portaloos. They were also feckin' miles away. The prices were all far far worse than Witnness, believe it or not, and there appears to be a new safety conscious thing.......All Drinks Must be Poured. Which means you get your soft drink of choice in a nifty paper cup, so by the time you've fought your way back, you have a third left. And!! it also encourages those delightful young scamps to set fire to em.

And thats another thing. What was with the fires? I counted 12 immediately around me. In a place as packed as Slane, its not much fun to be inhaling burning inflatable chairs. (This depends on your point of view)

And plus, you have to sit through the crap bands, you don't have an option, whereas Witnness gives you a choice.

Or maybe I'm just getting old............

But so is Slane.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

In fairness,it was a dire line up...people were probably bored!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

No, Tom, I have to correct you there.

It was the direst lineup. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

The line up at Witnness this year certainly did make Slane look like a blast gig, but last year you will remember it was the other way around, it was the Stereophonics headlining Witnness and Slane being headlined by U2 with support from the Chili Peppers and other brilliant bands, just because one year is kind of crap doesn't mean that it won't return with a triumph, although the few years before U2 were also crap, we had The Verve also a band with one successful album, they should not be headlining Slane, then it was Robbie Williams, I don't know what they were thinking that year, then Bryan Adams, he played in Marlay Park this year and I went in, cause I got a free ticket, and he had trouble filling Marlay Park never mind Slane.
    But the years before that were excellent, with GNR, REM and Neil young with Pearl Jam backing him up, brilliant.
    I think that next year the ideal candidate would be for Bruce Springsteen to make his second Slane appearance.
    No one else can do it.

Well that is my two cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

I would have to say the biggest let down of this year's event was having the Doves play at 1 in the afternoon. Unfreakingbelievable!!
    A fantasic band who definitely should have been on later.
    And as for Nickelback - I mean who left the door open and let them in???
    The crowd were dead for the Charlatans and only really came alive for the Stereophonics (no doubt as a result of the effect of the copious amounts of watery beer finally kicking in).
    In my opinion, the biggest mistake the organisers of Slane ever made was putting Robbie Williams as a headliner... with only two albums and doing five cover versions in a row from bands that were still around... gimme a break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I've seen better **** flingin contests ....the level of Organisiation was brutal, the security guys were stretched but the ones we did come in contact with were actually all right and fairly polite.

The Loos were a disgrace, I felt sorry for the Ladies in particular who were forced to do the necessary in front of leering pissed feck heads....I was not guilty on this occassion I am pleased to report ;-)

The bar closed at 8 o clock......I had actually paced myself for the whole day binge only for it to be cut short unexpectedly.....grrr no more Heinekins for me....sorry Deco's da it was a shambles closeing the bar at 8!!!

The prices for everything were shameful, I was half glad one of the caterers got ripped off the fecker made €100,000 selling feckin burgers!!!(See tabloid today)

By the way the Charletans were absolute utter B*****x in my opinion , completely dead lifeless sh*ts who looked like they wanted to be in the over crowded over used porta loos rather than playing the gig.

Nickelback made an effort all be it extreme cheese. But stretched a bit with the pyro technics so fair play on that.

Phonics were alright , just enough guts to perform I think....they did their stuff well and I suppose a Stereophonics fan would have been happy enough with them..

Highlight for me was that overall the atmosphere was friendly and plenty of people just enjoying being there despite the line up.

and.....I can't believe Im gonna say this but.....

well done Dublin bus, easy to get there easy to get home....and I was glad to get home at the end of it all.

All the best
    - Trev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

slane hasnt had anough pulling power for me in the last few years, but the same goes for any concert, i didnt go to witnness last year coz there weren't enough bands i wanted to see for that price. witness is usually gonna be an event that provides more for u, but youve to put a lot more into witness too!!! (money, accomadation, sleep, etc). they could get someone top class to headline slane next year, and i'd be there. the concert was crap, for me, this year, but im glad it goes ahead coz there's the possibility of someone good playing in future years. or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

You can never say that Slane has had it's day. OK to be fair the line up this year was piss poor (matter of personal opinion) and this was reflected in ticket sales (20k tickets short of a sell out!!).

It is still one of the best venues in the country. It isn't trying to compete with the likes of Witness. It's a venue that has a large scale gig once a year (or twice if you're organisation has the clout to do it), not a festival.

And to say that Witness is a festival is a joke in itself, but I digress.

No where else in the country can 80,000 people see a live performance. To say that it's had its day is crazy.

I will certainly be at the Stones next summer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

wow was slane on this year? i was too busy at the leeds festival....:D :D:D .......ah guns and roses, twas as if the last 10 years never happened......until andew wk showed up, (aidan walsh on a bigger budget anyone?) mcd should talk to the leeds boys on how to run a concert (apart from the bottle throwing and flaming toilets)

i'll shut up now, cos i've prob made you all jealous (cept kurdt and sandi of course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

U said it dude! Leeds was great! Flaming toilets?! What did I tell u about lighting farts in portaloos?! (joke)
    Slane's getting a right bashing this year. I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. Leeds did have the odd crap band tho...Andrew WK! LOL! Best joke I've heard in a long time. I was soo disappointed in Dillinger Escape Plan too. They stank. As did Amen.
    Oh well people! Looks like us Leeds goers got the better deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

yes u did get the better deal it seems but u can't compare slane and leeds the 2 are completely different.......................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm sorry I opened my mouth........as I usually am.....

Brian D gave out to me....you're all giving out.....sniff.....its all so unfair....sob........

120 Minutes, shutupshutupshutup.......some of us couldn't afford Leeds......sob.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

At the end of the day, Slane is just another venue. The artists aren't going to be the same and Johnnynolegs is right, not all line-ups are going to suit everybody but thousands of people will like it enough to pay to go. But it's like any other venue...if there's a gig on there that u don't like then u don't go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

tom i dont know who you are but i love you

polarbelly i DO know who you are AND i love you...

aaaawwwww

see you guys! see!

why cant we all just get along? eh? eh?

lol u rule polarbelly
    i cant forget what i did to you on thatnight of the pub crawl
    i know u dont think its a big deal but if someone i kind of knew walked up to me pissed drunk and laughed for 5 minutes because they saw me id be really upset...eventhough it was my drunken responding to being happy to see you, or somehitng!

best laugh ive had in ages though

he he

sure that was one of the funniest things i've ever seen

fair play pete!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Had to delete a stack of postings from this thread just now. Just got too personal and stupid. Please do yer best to stick to the topic! Any problems, contact me.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

Originally posted by polarbelly
    tom i dont know who you are but i love you

AAAHHHHH!!
    SOMEONE.CARES!!!

• Advertisement

how wa sthe gig last nite tom any use?

Yeah..was pretty good.ROSCOE were great
    Wasn't that impressed with "Boxes"..I thought Berkley were outstanding,first time seeing them.Future Kings were good also.A bit of Dinosaur Jr. about them methinks,but I had been drinking!!!
    ROSCOE are playing in Eamon Dorans on Saturday 14th, don't know the price yet......
    All in all an excellent night,well worth getting in for free!!!
    The sound and lights in the TBMC are brilliant,a hell of alot better than Eamon Dorans

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Have to agree Tom. Roscoe were really good, if a little Frames-y (probably just the violin for me though).
    Wasn’t impressed with Boxes at all, for a band that were so highly rated. Great musicians. Terrible guitar sound. Atrocious singing. They had some really good songs, but they all sounded samey. They just didn’t have the gear to pull it all off either. Ah well...........
    Berkely were bloody brilliant though. Really really impressed with them. First time seeing them, and I’ll be keeping an ear out for them in future.
    FKOS were great as well. The single sounded deadly, and they all looked sober for once – I like ‘em!

damn shame i missed it now ah well at least a good nite was had

who r they playing with on saturday???????????

I take it your talking about ROSCOE???
    As far as I know they are the headline act.. on the 14th but I think they are still waiting confirmation on this.I think that there's a band called
    Black something or other that are trying to headline,but I'll let you know what the outcome is hopefully be early next week!

Advertisement