Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What satellites are out of reach in Ireland?

• 25-08-2002 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Ok, dream scenario, you have a massive dish, whatever size is the biggest for a home user(not sure), so big it needs to be mounted on a platform in your back garden and its fully motorised.

You have tons of digital recivers set up for all the different types of signals you can receive, what i want to know is :
    What satellites are just too far away to recieve?, and have any of you got any information on whats been the furthest away satellite thats been received in this country?, broad questions but it would be interesting.

Id love to hear more from the lurkers that are on here with motorised dishes as i dont hear it discussed much and im sure there are a few.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by TVDX
    Ok, dream scenario, you have a massive dish, whatever size is the biggest for a home user(not sure), so big it needs to be mounted on a platform in your back garden and its fully motorised.

You have tons of digital recivers set up for all the different types of signals you can receive, what i want to know is :
    What satellites are just too far away to recieve?, and have any of you got any information on whats been the furthest away satellite thats been received in this country?, broad questions but it would be interesting.

Id love to hear more from the lurkers that are on here with motorised dishes as i dont hear it discussed much and im sure there are a few.

It is not a question of distance but rather what satellites are visible above the horizon at your particlar location. Most decent sites would be able to access between 50 degrees east and 50 west of south

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Tony
    Most decent sites would be able to access between 50 degrees east and 50 west of south

And Lyngsat http://www.lyngsat.com/ will show you what is shown all points betweeen.

Just a quicky for the motor club, what is the furthest people have seen? I know the Atlantic sats would have TV and news feeds to and from the US, but what can you get over on the other side of the horizon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I watched the CART live this evening on 43W (i could have watched on Moteurs on 19.2 but my french is poor) and 45E is good for news feeds except many are now in the MPEG 4:2:2 format and although those recievers have dropped drastically in price they are still in the several "K" region.

Suprisingly you dont really need a big dish to see these satellites even though they are very low on the horizon.

I can get either extremes on a 1.2M (Triax) dish and i am sure it is even possible with a 1M dish.
    Their footprints are obviously aiming right at us which is very much the key to easy reception and this is evident when you consider that to recieve all the D2MAC channels on 1W you would need a 3.5M dish.(those days are over).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Thanks for the replies lads,
    ever since i was young i would read the Transponder/Channel lists of different satellites in What Satellite Tv and just salivate at the prospect of having a fully motorised dish.

I think in a few years time when i have my own space for it, i will defintely investigate the possibility of getting my own one.
    The idea of having full access to tons of signals is just mind blowing.

As damo put it, i too have a couple of questions for the Motors Club,
    1) As you scan the world do you find alot of free to view channels?
    2) Do those news feeds used by channels like Sky News, CNN etc with reporters on site actually start going out way before the channel shows them, as in do you see presenters standing there and talking to their camera men and other oddities like that?
    3) Are you able to pick up first run shows like Friends, West Wing(or whatever) and get them months before they come out on some random carriers used for the US?.
    sorry there is one more 4) Can you preprogram the dish motor to move to the different co-ordinates?.

I really have to get a set up!!!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

Q 1
    yes

Q2
    yes

Q3
    yes/no Sometimes 21west is used to feed movies to europe

Q4
    yes

Ps You will spend more time looking for channels then actually looking.
    You will also get great pleasure looking at something for free when the neighbour has paid for it<bit that is a whole different story>

• Advertisement
Advertisement