Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tenebrae: **** it I'm bored waiting for Quake 4...

• 26-08-2002 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

... Lets make it ourselves

Before:
    before2.jpg
    After:
    after2.jpg

In Game:
    quake04.jpg
    quake19.jpg
    quake17.jpg
    quake13.jpg

Tenebrae

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Nice.
    Was playing Quake on the Dream Cast there for a couple of levels.

Pretty damn good.
    Pity it will not be as good as the upcoming Doom 4, yet you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

That looks ****in class
    [EDIT]I thought you had done this yourself rofl[/EDIT]

I assume thats for Q3?

/me downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

WOW the shadows pwn any i've seen b4. Looks like a render more than an in-game screenie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

No its for quake 1 u idiot, didnt u even look at the screenshots?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

For some reason I think he already knew that...

In fact I feel that everyone knows what Quake 1 is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by ThrAx
    No its for quake 1 u idiot, didnt u even look at the screenshots?

To be quite hnest, I thought it was Quake1 being reade on the Quake3 engine. I wasn't aware that such lighting and shadowing was do-able on the Quake1 engine..

Now that i read your comment again, I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or what.. :/

The lighting is nice for a start, and the shadows - Yes - Nice.
    If I was to improve anything else, it'd be the skins on the creatures etc. They still look grainy and annoying, and take a lot out of the overall niceness of the pictures...

It uses the same algorithms as the doom 3 engine. U can't even get graphics like that in quake 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

just gave it a run on

pentium 500
    384 Mb
    GeForce 256 32MB

dont laugh - tis has been my trusty college project doing computer for a couple of years now.

looks like i'll need a new computer for Doom 3 - but this does make quake look cool- look forward to some updates to get it right.

pentium 500
    384 Mb
    GeForce 256 32MB

Don't laugh you say!?

Try trolling through WC and rakes of other Editing Programs with a Packard Bell 600MHZ, 198MB, VooDoo3 2000 PC...

It was very reliable and worked quite well until it was picked up and smashed off the floor seven times infront of me - Alas.

Anyway, back to the topic, I'd like to get my hands on said Quake 1 Revamp to keep me occupied once I get my PC back (If it still works)

• Advertisement

Alas, this engine mod will only run on a GeForce or Radeon system, u'll need at least a GF1 to run it.

And just because you guys posted yeer system specs I'll post mine:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.4 ghz
    256 MB SDRAM
    128 MB DDR GeForce 3 Ti 200 @ 200mhz Graphic Core 450mhz Memory Core
    ECS K7S5A Socket A MoBo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

You think THAT looks good?

Wait until you see it when the project to redo all the textures is complete. Quake's textures are terribly low-res. There's a few projects going ahead to do this already.

Then, the bump maps and gloss maps need to be done. At the moment the engine just thinks a dark point in a texture is low, and a light point is high. This isn't always the case (in fact, it quite often isn't). The gloss maps are also done in a pretty poor way... everything is defined as 50% shiny.

It looks fantastic now, but just wait until the artists get their game on. It's going to be unreal.

Doom 3 looks amazing, yet we can't tell for sure wether the actual game itself is going to be any good... We can just asume. Same applies to this thingy whatsit... You can't make a good game out of looks alone... I know Quake is excellent, yet I could list a lot of improvements that could be made through a little patience and work... Maybe if one of you programmer types could smack the whole game around a bit we'd not only have the fantastic looks but an all out better re-vamp of an already great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'm getting a small team together to break the Tenebrae / Quake engine apart into a more modular form, then work on that. It will of course be open source (don't have a choice there).

However, when it is split apart, I can replace modules with my own. This will mean I don't need to GPL these parts of my program, as they will be seperate, pre-compiled modules loaded into the GPL'd engine.

Well sweet for commercial exploitation :)

I wish you all the best with it, too.
    It's definately something that'd be worth working on..

I, myself, will be sticking to WorldCraft (Me being the boring bloke that I am) :D

Advertisement