Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband... What is available to me?

Options
  • 26-08-2002 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I live in Goatstown, Dublin 14 and will be starting my 1st year of Comp Sci in Trinity in a month or so. I know that maybe soon there MIGHT be ADSL etc etc... I'm not interested in empty promises.

What options are there available to me right now or atleast before I start college? I don't want flat-rate 56k or ISDN. Something better. Satellite/Wireless or even Cable and ADSL....

Any hellp would be great...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

You could save yourself a load of cash by investing in a zipdrive and some zipdisks. Your college bandwidth will be far superior to anything you can get at home:)
    It might also be easyier to convince your folks to shell out on the above gear rather then paying for Satellite/Wireless or ADSL (Assuming your not a mature student having moved away from your folks) Just an idea;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

www.leap.ie

thats it afaik unless you go to eircon

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

http://www.europeonline.com/

I'm currently subscribed to EOL on a trial basis till the end of October. Cost me €59 euro for the pci card and subscription from them till end of october, plus an old 80cm dish with a universal LNB...subs after this is €9.99/month and 0.039c / minute.. no cap

Only problem is that you have to dial-up the internet to browse (i have got speeds over 500k/sec), or get EOL to send you the files offline, saves lots of money and you dont have to be connected for the files to be downloaded.

I know there is two way satellite available with always on connection, but dont know how reliable they are...and they cost alot more than this...

Hope this might help....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Watch out with europeonline though , having trouble trying to cancel with them , they owe me money of which I've had mails we will refund you and still nothing.

A good alternative , a bit slower, but with no limit would be www.netsystem.com (or netsystems).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dconn

dont know what your budget is but have a look at www.orbitlink.ie
    for 2way sat connection that does work and is available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Am I reading these satellite internet isp sites right?
    I buys the gear (or rents), I pays the installation fee, I pays the subscription fee, I sticks a satellite dish on the side of my house.....
    AND I STILL HAVE TO USE DIAL UP TO ACCESS THE INTERNET!!!???

Somebody please tell me I've missed something here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

www.aramiska.com is another 2way satellite company. I've been using it for almost 2 weeks with no problems. Unlike Orbit, there is no download limits on the 1MBit+ packages.

milltown, for isps like netsystem, yes, you do still need to dial up, but for aramiska/orbit, you can bin the modem. ;)

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bkehoe
    www.aramiska.com is another 2way satellite company. I've been using it for almost 2 weeks with no problems. Unlike Orbit, there is no download limits on the 1MBit+ packages.
    According to their website, the that 1Mbit service is EUR 599 per month for Ireland. If correct, this would seem a little out of reach of a student. This is according to their pricing details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

slightly off topic, but if you want to see why there's no real broadband solution for you in Ireland have a look at this website: http://www.eircomtribunal.com

Good read.

(from original thread in IrelandOffline forum : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62887)

Advertisement