Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Nolimits Connection problems

Options
  • 26-08-2002 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I was one of the few that complained to Nolimits and didn't get cut off in the Esat/Iol Nolimits witch-trials. Any how I used to play alot of games and download many MP3s before the mass witch hunt.... Since then instead of improve my connection has actually seriously deteriorated....

The Probelm:

I still connect first time at 45.666 kps or 49.666 kps. Usually the 45.333. Anyway, every 10 minutes or so my connection stops DEAD(stays connected however) and just freezes(sort of like packet loss but for 90 seconds approx). This makes playing games and downloading ANYTHING virtually impossible.

Anyway I want ot solve this problem as I am starting Comp Sci in TCD in October and want a half usable connection....
    I am very suspicous that Esat have for sort of Capping or port blocking system causing this problem as I am aware a certain phone system provider that has many large business customers practices a similar tactic to get its customers to pay up so they can get it repaired....

If anyone can help or the problem is my end then I won't seem like such a fool when I ring up Esat and accuse them of port blocking or similar...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If they were blocking certain ports, it wouldn't work at all.
    Does the connection start working again after the 90 seconds or does it just die out totally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i have the same problem on nolimits it doesnt work for about the first 2 minutes after dialing up then it works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont have any problems like that.... just that i only connect at 40kb/s ... at best. But that us cos of the telephone lines :rolleyes:

It might be something to do with the local exchange and not IOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I have this too, no incoming traffic for between 30-60 seconds on connect. I've tried pinging something as it connects, and I get errors until it connects, then nothing for 30-60 seconds, then I get a rush of responses for the last 30-60 seconds, and then it's normal.

I used to have the connection freezing problem, but that went away...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Im getting the same thing, but on ntl's weekend package. On connection, It claims im connected but goes at about 0.01kp/s, and stays that way until i r/c... sometimes requires me to r/c more then once..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    If they were blocking certain ports, it wouldn't work at all.
    Does the connection start working again after the 90 seconds or does it just die out totally?

yes it returns but it happens frequently and makes even surfing quite painful. I sometimes abandon posts it is so frustrating....
    ANy one got an idea?
    If it happens to more then a few ppl it is obviously at the server end and not just the exchanges. Perhaps we could make a case to the ODTR or the office of consumer affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah it happens to me sometimes too and it also only connects me at like 31.2kps. Some times i get 46.6 and the other day i got 49kps. Whats the craic there like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

I have been having the same problem since the weekend with no limits, this just happend from nowhere, i have tried other connections with the same modem and its still the same disconnection every couple of minutes, meaning its either a line or modem problem, I have swapped the modem and everything seems ok but my USb modem is span new and just all of a sudden started disconnection . WEIRD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

No. It isn't the speed or that it disconnects. It has been happening since the Nolimits Witch-Trials(9 months ago)...

The packets just stop recieving and senting..... It litterly freezes for 90 seconds then starts were it left off(note: don'st disconn)...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yeah i have the same problem. Its really annyoing. Its sits there for ages and then it sunnendly starts again. I try to get it to start by starting OE thats usually gets it going. it find it gets worse for me the higher the speed i connect at.

I find sometimes times it doesnt start sending again and i have disconnect and reconnect to get it going again.

Any word on the new packages that were supposed to be announced by esat.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Any word on the new packages that were supposed to be announced by esat.

Thankfully, I haven't heard a word more about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Is it important to use the dialer that IOL gives you, to take advantage of the nolimits? Or can you just make a new connection that phones the same number?
    The dialer program thing got deleted from my PC, so I was wondering if it mattered...

Feck no, I use FreeBSD's ppp and it's fine, all you need is the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

ESAT seem to have three very different IP ranges behind the No Limits dialup (only one of which has ever had reverse DNS configured for it I'll note :-(). Presumable the three subnets are handled by three different sets of equipment. I've occasionally experienced this outage-on-connect problem too, but only when assigned one of their 194.145.x.x addresses. Hasn't happened with the other two so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I get this a fair bit too although I blamed it on my 50 foot phone cable that snakes downstairs and spends some of its life in a snake like coil.

I usually keep a dos session open and keep pinging if it ever happens when Im browsing. Pain in the ass when Im playing games though.

One thing I noticed is that the connection is fantastic otherwise. I was getting constant 80-90ms pings to www.iol.ie from it last night, I even managed a semi-playable* online game of battlefield1942 ;)

(* semi playable = when 5 players or less on the server - otherwise - yoiks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Snaga
    I get this a fair bit too although I blamed it on my 50 foot phone cable that snakes downstairs and spends some of its life in a snake like coil.
    I'm thinking your 50 foot snake is better quality than the 5000 foot Eircom wire between you and the exchange ;-)

When it happens to me, I can still ping the POP - the immediate far end of the link - but no further than that. So it's not a modem issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by longword
    I'm thinking your 50 foot snake is better quality than the 5000 foot Eircom wire between you and the exchange ;-)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Sometimes, after about 10 mins, the dl rate reaches <1kB/sec. Sometimes doing a ping to www.iol.ie pops the rate back to 5kB/sec.

What's the best address to ping?
    proxy.iolfree.ie?
    www.iol.ie?
    dns server?
    something else?

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's no best address to ping. It's just a coincidence that the download speed goes back to normal.

Advertisement