Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC1 subtitles on NTL Dublin

Options
  • 26-08-2002 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anyone noticed that subtitles are not in sync on BBC1 on ntl's analogue service for the last few days. They are about 2 seconds too fast. Maybe they are getting the pictures form satellite because their analogue signal is bad at this time of the year (teletext should be bad as well). I would be surprised if it is a BBC problem unlile RTE (try watching their news)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Definitely a terrestrial signal (for analogue) - on DSat, there is no Ceefax and AFAIK no teletext subtitling - there is merely a page directing you to BBCi Text (and digital subtitles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 broggy

Ok maybe ntl have had so many complaints about the picture and sound quality that they have partially replaced the analogue sourced signal with either DTT or DSAT sourced signals.They can't replace the teletext , people would go mad.

I noticed tonight that the 10:00 BBC 1 News was broadcast in 4:3 not 14:9. I have my suspicions about Channel 4 as well , it sometimes has been broadcasting in anamorphic widescreen in the last few days. Only analogue seems to broadcast in 14:9 with these particular channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Baz999

I know for a fact that NTL are perfectly capable of extracting teletext from any channel and superimposing it on another.
    They did this years ago when BBC2 was on 48MHz and suffering poor text quality. They extracted Ceefax from source and put it on the Childrens Channel, which at that time was on 64MHz.

Originally posted by icdg
    Definitely a terrestrial signal (for analogue) - on DSat, there is no Ceefax and AFAIK no teletext subtitling - there is merely a page directing you to BBCi Text (and digital subtitles).

Analogue ceefax page 888 subtitles are still available on D-sat BBC one.
    It's quite funny actually as if you want to really mess up your screen, you can have the Digibox set to subtitles and select the analog teletext page 888 aswell:D

Perfect for testing expensive glasses designed to correct double vision:D
    mm

Advertisement