Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of old PC equipment

• 26-08-2002 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can dispose of old PC's and monitors?

I have a few (maybe 10 in parts) lying around that are old/dead and a couple of monitors that are capoot.

Are there any companies out there that can take these off you and maybe recylce them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

there are companies in the uk such as environ (www.environ.org.uk)
    but i don't know of any such schemes in the republic there are companies such as http://www.electronic-recycling.ie who may take it off you or more likely charge you for taking it away.
    there are charities in the uk that recycle pc's for shipping to africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Try the buy and sell

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I had the same problem awhile back, trying to get rid a few dumb terminals and tired monitors...

A friend recommended this company in dublin ..

http://www.purple-ireland.com/Recycle.html

Also Compaq do the same...

http://www.compaq.ie/global.....recovery/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah and i think there is some law in or comming in that old PC stuff has to be recycled.

Can anyone confiem or deny this.
    Perhaps i just dreamed it all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

15 euro per unit is the best price you will get...basically it's by weight, but if it's 10 old pc's with monitor they will charge you 15 for each monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

ya spooky donkey, looks like the eu has a proposal that by 2006, we will have to recycle between 60-80% electrical appliances.. and looks like the producer will have to do the recycling free of charge .... this covers everything from fridges to monitors...

Commission tackles growing problem of electrical and electronic waste

I can all this stuff getting more expensive for us if the manufacturer has to do the recycling...

At the moment our glasss bottles are collected but not processed?? i think this situation hasn't changed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

why do they charge to recycle a pc/monitor if they are in working order and are maybe a few years old and still have some worth ?

Surely the recycling company would make money from recycled parts(computer parts are not exactly the same as a bin bag !) hence no need to charge 15 E for them to take in a monitor for example.
    It is not exactly encourage people to recycle !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by gurramok
    why do they charge to recycle a pc/monitor if they are in working order and are maybe a few years old and still have some worth ?

I would assume it's because those who recycle pcs are usually charities, and they distribute the pcs throughout Africa, and sometimes disadvantaged schools in the UK. And they have to cover the transportation costs, and presumably maintenence as there's no warranty on the pcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Some dont, some sell the recycled parts for a profit.
    For Ex: on the web site of electronic-recycling.ie, they are re-selling some of the computer parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by gurramok
    Some dont, some sell the recycled parts for a profit.
    For Ex: on the web site of electronic-recycling.ie, they are re-selling some of the computer parts

Well in that case, they're just greedy bastards :)
    I wonder how much the corpo charge for disposing of a monitor and a tower?

• Advertisement
Advertisement