Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Shift

• 26-08-2002 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here works nights? I found a good job offer a while back and one part of it was that you had to work nights every 6 weeks. So is it worth it? Any good tips for staying awake! (legal ones please :cool:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I worked nights up from Sept - March continually, and before that from April to Sept on week in four.

Personally I had no problem with them once the body adjusts - in fact I kinda liked sleeping through the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i worked 12 ohur shift work for 4 years. it was all rotaing days/nights, so thats a lot of night shift work.
    there is no way of staying awake, you just get used to it.

however, you lose out on oyur social life becuase oyu are always tired. you are always sick becuase you cant keep doing things like that to your body without being run down.

i will never do night shift again. come to think of it, i will never do shift work again of any type. my social life is too important to me, i am no longer motivated by money.

so i guess its what you want to get out of it. a few extra quid, or the ability to follow eastenders without the use of vcr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    Any good tips for staying awake! (legal ones please :cool:)

The old favorites of caffine and sugar are always good. Walking around is good too. Just don't be like that naked guy from silicon valley. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

just make sure you sleep and eat right.

If its every 6 weeks

And monday night is first night of shift well on the Sunday stay up really late like 4 /5 am
    get up latish next day and go to work that night ,make sure you sleep when you come home form works.

When in work if you have access to a microwave use it and eat you can find yourself not eating cos your body is confused eat well on nightsa and you be ok.

Then on your last night when you go home dont sleep that day and stay up all day then that night when you go to bed you back in day shift mode.

*he types whilst in work on nights ;p

Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

a good routine helps, space out your jobs and read books/newspaper in between.....

...if you are a night-porter in a 200 year old hotel you'd better not be superstitious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Did you Get called for the Gardai Or Something?

Night Shifts are Fine.. Been Doing them for 5 Years Now :( Fecks your body clock up Bigtime.

Advertisement