Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do i need to run PHP?

Options
  • 26-08-2002 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

what exactly do you need to use php i presume you need software of some kind? or can you do it by hand? sorry if question is out of place to lazy creat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

heh.

You need a compatible web server and the php software.

Servers u can use (off the top of my head) apache (unix+win32), iis 4 + 5 and personal webserver. There are more im sure. its not hard to get working. id recommend apache for win32 for a windows platform, means less patching and the like.

HTH,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

PHPTriad is a great all in one installer for PHP and Apache and mySQL for the Win32 platform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

// n00b extraordinaire incoming //

I've downloaded the PHP manual etc. and started to tinker with some code.

What exactly to I have to install locally on my machine so that I can run PHP webpages and test them etc. I've kinda figured out how to do it on the remote webserver but am unsure as how to do it on my machine.

BTW, Dreamweaver MX seems to prompt me for the local database so if anyone can explain it in relation to usind DWMX that would be helpful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

You need:
    1. A Webserver (Apache/IIS)
    2. The PHP Installer
    3. MySQL or your favourite database for doing anything useful

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

Thanks, This helps me.
    one more thing, what do you need to learn to connect to the database? Like in asp you need to know ado.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

If you're doing a php project usually you will have a simple config.php to connect to your MySQL.

it will have variables for the db name, the user and the password. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Go to zorka.com its a brilliant PHP site, for newbies

Advertisement