Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADD COMMUNITY - Gay / Lesbian / Bi-Sexual

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I belive that the people who post in the Pro Wrestling forum should mod the gay/lesbian forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I agree with what Swiss said.

Make it public, no anonymous posts (like PI). If a user wants to make an anon post prehaps some system where the post is vetted before appearing. This stops fly by night flamers (no pun intended :))

Go straight for three mods. Taking one from each aspect of the board (Gay/Lesbian/Bi). Just suggesting those as they would have a better chance of spotting a wind-up on the subject.

Just my .2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

I thinkit's a good idea...
    If soeone is really concerned about posting directly, perhaps they could pm the mod, who could post it prefixed by [ANON] or similar in the subject...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Perhaps give it a more subtle name... Orientation Issues... Gender Preferences... The Closet...
    How about "The Manhole"

By the way, remind me not to post when zonked out of it on no sleep.

A Community board would be a good idea. A regular board makes no sense. If people want to organise under that banner, fair enough... it allows people to join a community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Make it public, no anonymous posts (like PI). If a user wants to make an anon post prehaps some system where the post is vetted before appearing. This stops fly by night flamers (no pun intended :))
    vBulletin supports such a feature, but I don't think it's a great idea.
    Originally posted by Hobbes
    Go straight for three mods. Taking one from each aspect of the board (Gay/Lesbian/Bi). Just suggesting those as they would have a better chance of spotting a wind-up on the subject.
    Good luck finding a lesbian on boards.ie ... it's hard enough finding a woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Great charter swiss.

Good luck finding a lesbian on boards.ie ... it's hard enough finding a woman.

LOL

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I'd say get existing mods to do it cause they'll know what to look out for before approving any muppets in. I'd put my name forward if it wasn't for that point <still, I'll put it forward if that point isn't an issue>.

And to answer Keeks, a good few people might feel kinda... odd... discussing their issues on PI. It's no difference really but having a specific gbl board makes it so much easier in some ways to discuss those issues. Also it makes it SOOO much easier for homophobes to avoid things that they don't want to hear <and let's face it, nobody has the right to force them to read some things>.

Nobody's suggesting segregation, but there is the fact that certain people just don't like homosexuality and hence they won't go to that board. Just as some gay people won't feel they need to parade it on that board.

The split here is kinda like making a separate rock/metal forum from music. Give the board a test run. If it hasn't generated decent post count then axe it <or if it's been overrun by muppets axe it>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

pah....nah..never take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by SheroN:

pah....nah..never take off.
    Maybe you're right. However, quite a few boards out there are, well, defunct. Despite this, quite a few new boards have been set up recently (including the big boarder board - with a *ahem* limited membership). This leads me to believe that it is not a fear that the board will never be used that stops it from being set up.

It has the potential to turn into a trollfest, or to dwindle into obscurity. For a community board, 2 mods are usually enough. For a private board with less than 10 members, one is sufficient. However we could employ extra help for this board if required. As shown in this thread, we are not short of people who would like an extra star next to their name :). That should cut out the muppetry, á la CS. (albeit some very heavy modding techniques is used there). As for underusage, well theres only one way to find out, isn't there :).

I don't know whether this is going to be the end of the matter and the status quo will me maintained until another newbie brings up the topic and spark off another 3 page debate (no offence jimcmgee) or whether it will actually go ahead.

My stance is to let it go ahead, setup a few mods and see what happens. I'd be happy to help with modding, if required. I guess now we'll have to wait for the admins to give us an answer :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Is there any way to make it show up in everyones Private boards section but you have to apply for membership? cus if its private normally new users would not have any idea of its existence, and therefore will have no idea about how to gain access if they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

btw im jimcmgee i wasnt sure how something like this would be dealt with but ive gotten over that and am now confident in speaking about these issues because the affect me personally and potentially hundreds of boards members

excuse the change in nick btw, i did myself and allot of people an injustice

Once again, what swiss said. FFR, I'd be happy to mod the board as an outsider (of sorts), if it becomes necessary.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

DeV help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i know i've argued about this before, and couldn't see the point of a separate board, but sure create a private one, and let folk request access to it. me is interested to see what will be discussed that can't be discussed elsewhere, and would like access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Cloud
    DeV help!

ROFL

...anyway...

Don't know why people are so dead set against it.

If you don't like it don't go there

If it doesn't work just axe the bloody thing.

Nothing ever lost by trying ;)

• Advertisement

Right to help the admins make their mind up im doing a summary of all the points for and against the board, you can make your minds up after that but tbh if your not gay and dont 'understand' the need for a GLB board then go be gay for a few weeks and it may open your eyes to potentially how different a lifestyle it is.

And about it discriminating against hetrosexuals, nobody's stopping you asking for a hetro board, but tbh Gays, Lesbiens & Bi-Sexuals are a minority and ALLOT of people don't know a single thing about what it means to be gay and whats important to such a person.

So here at the positive sinippets:

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    i know i've argued about this before, and couldn't see the point of a separate board, but sure create a private one, and let folk request access to it. me is interested to see what will be discussed that can't be discussed elsewhere, and would like access.
    Tbh this doesnt make much sence. The idea is for an open board that anybody can read, post in and feel confident in asking questions without the risk of flames.

---

If the board was private:

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

Good Idea.

You could call it "The Closet"

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Makes no odds if its private or not as I will be requesting access anyway. Just dont see the biggie in hiding it. Its not like you have to ask for a gay lifestyle mag from "behind" the counter etc. And if its private like all the others....which we dont know exist....pray tell how the community will grow?

Originally posted by Shinji
    having people they can talk to openly is ALWAYS a good thing.
    JustHalf, Dustaz et al :-

Is there a reason that the creation of this board is greeted with a chorus of "Why?", while almost everything else gets a response of "Why Not?"...?

JustHalf, Dustaz et al :-

Is there a reason that the creation of this board is greeted with a chorus of "Why?", while almost everything else gets a response of "Why Not?"...?

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'd normally agree with Dustaz on this, matter of fact I've been a proponent of letting demand drive growth before. I think this is different though, I don't think it's the same as, for example, setting up a soccer board out of sports; or Windows out of Tech. Gay/Les/Bi is a personal issue[1], and some people might be embarassed to come forward and ask for a board. Whereas if the board is there, and a few people are posting on it, others might feel a bit more encouraged to pop their head up and say hello. More importantly though, the user requested a /community/ board, and it's been said here many times that /anyone/ is welcome to request a community board, and unless the topic for dicussion is particularly dodgy, it'll be set up. G/L/B isn't dodgy, it's a fact of life[2]. Set it up, let it run for a few weeks, see what happens. If it doesn't get the traffic, or it turns into a flamefest, shut it down again.

Your pretty screwed from the out set tbh.

Phhoooooaaaarrr!!

adam

[1] Haha, very funny.
    [2] Haha again.

Originally posted by Dave|STaN
    I think some1 who is infact gay/bi should mod the board. I think 2 mods would be enough to ensure no flames or inappropriate behaviour. And sure if its not popular im sure a few 'stickies' where people who may be a bit curious can read up on gay related topics etc.

In allot of the colleges around the country there are GLB societies and this board could also server as a meeting point for those aswell and increase board traffic as a result.

Originally posted by Dave|STaN
    And even if its not regularly used people can read the stickies (which would give people advise on certain aspects of gay life. The thing many people dont understand is that there is a whole other gay culture out there, bars, events, shows, as well as coming out issues, people who are suicidal because they dont know what to think, people who need advice on how to get introduced (not date) other gay people or a place where they can discuss just general topics (like the best pubs, bullying, clubbing, drugs - not which to take but to prevention by education etc, insecurities, ideas etc etc the list goes on tbh and i cant really cover what would be discussed in there.)

And to answer Keeks, a good few people might feel kinda... odd... discussing their issues on PI. It's no difference really but having a specific gbl board makes it so much easier in some ways to discuss those issues. Also it makes it SOOO much easier for homophobes to avoid things that they don't want to hear <and let's face it, nobody has the right to force them to read some things>.

Nobody's suggesting segregation, but there is the fact that certain people just don't like homosexuality and hence they won't go to that board. Just as some gay people won't feel they need to parade it on that board.

The split here is kinda like making a separate rock/metal forum from music. Give the board a test run. If it hasn't generated decent post count then axe it <or if it's been overrun by muppets axe it>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Against the board:
    Originally posted by Keeks
    I think its got more to do with the amount of actual muppetry it will attract than the actual content of the board is the problem when this question keeps popping up.

As correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dev complaining recently about the amount of existing mupptry that is already here. There was even some strange/radical/stupid ideas thrown about on how to combat it.

But wasn't the PI board setup the last time this question arose?

don't take this the wrong way, but isn't that what the PI (Personal Issues) board is for?

Is the PI board being overrun with gay/lesbian posts that it needs a board of its own. And quite frankly in my opinion I think think a board of its own will only lead to a sh*tload of gay bashing posts. Well then again, it sis just mu opinion

The question should be if there was a GLB board and you merged PI & GLB at a later stage would you be happy with the content. The reality is the GLB would have a number of stickies for people to come in and read about gay related topics (if u want me to give u examples ill be happy to draw them up). So tbh PI would then be a gay board and people might not want to talk about PI's beside GI's (gay issues).
    Originally posted by swiss
    can imagine a few peeps sending carefully worded PM's with "look I'm not gay but..." :D. I personally won't be out to vet anyone, and I'm sure no-one else who threw their name forward (or indeed the admins) would either. Being gay/bi would NOT be a requirement as far as I am concerned, a bit like the fact that you don't have to be straight to read After Hours (but it helps :D).

I dunno who would be most suited to mod tbh. Quite a few people have mentioned their name, and it's up to DeV/other admins to determine suitablity depending I suppose on experience and other factors. That is, of course, if the idea is approved in the first place.
    All people would be free to post on the boards and they dont have to be directly gay related, people may just wanna have a general chat to their peers. And if the board does become a focus point for allot of the GLB soc's this is what is bound to happen, although this doesnt mean it will take away from other boards such as afterhours etc etc.
    Originally posted by swiss

Maybe you're right. However, quite a few boards out there are, well, defunct. Despite this, quite a few new boards have been set up recently (including the big boarder board - with a *ahem* limited membership). This leads me to believe that it is not a fear that the board will never be used that stops it from being set up.

It has the potential to turn into a trollfest, or to dwindle into obscurity. For a community board, 2 mods are usually enough. For a private board with less than 10 members, one is sufficient. However we could employ extra help for this board if required. As shown in this thread, we are not short of people who would like an extra star next to their name :). That should cut out the muppetry, á la CS. (albeit some very heavy modding techniques is used there). As for underusage, well theres only one way to find out, isn't there :).

I don't know whether this is going to be the end of the matter and the status quo will me maintained until another newbie brings up the topic and spark off another 3 page debate (no offence jimcmgee) or whether it will actually go ahead.

My stance is to let it go ahead, setup a few mods and see what happens. I'd be happy to help with modding, if required. I guess now we'll have to wait for the admins to give us an answer :).
    Heavy modding would sort a number of the above points....
    Originally posted by Boston
    Won’t this forum just lead to more segregation and division, more of a “I don’t mind gays once I can pretend they don’t exist and im never confronted by their issues” mentality then anything. its ok to be gay, but only on the gay forum, on the other forums you have to pretend you like the rest of us. Do we really really want to build these walls around ourselves? I personally think apart from making us seem more open it would actually exposed the blatant homophobic nature of the board’s users in such away as to leave a very sour taste in all our mouths. I say no to building a box, I say no to building a peace line and I say no to a partite.Gaysd have to right to post want ever they want where ever they want on boards, and the day we actually need aboard for them is a sad day for boards.ie.
    Your obviously not gay. Its not a line of segrigation. If your gay your not going to ONLY post on the GLB board, u may keep an eye on it and see whats going on etc. I used to be totaly confined and im now a member of 5 or 6 boards. Its no difference in creating a PHP board segregated from the Programing board and fearing that nobody will post in the programing board. There is no wall as there is no wall around the mac board for PC users.
    Originally posted by Boston
    I'm a realist and that the way it will work, you creating a user specific board, the first kind to my knowledge ever on boards, if you not gay don't bother, if you do then you must be gay. The either that this wont create a "Them & Us" attitude and mentality is wrong. You only have to look as far as your job to see it, smokers and non smokers lunch rooms, ect. The minute you start X behavior is meant to go here, then soon it becomes X behavior can only go there. Your basically creating a board for a sensitive issue, and that not the way to go. This if you build it they will come notion doesn't work either, since the laws of averages says that there's already a fair few of them here, at least in the hundreds. Yet I don't see them in this thread, hell we don't even know if the original poster is gay, we just presume.

Are the requirements for a board that it has 4 supporting members? Well there about 8 people who think its a good idea since the start of the thread and then the rest is replies to comments made. And of course the thread has attracted sceptics which are always welcome because they challenge us to explaing fully and make sure every misconception is dealt with and every concern addressed.
    RE: dahamsta's comment in the above post
    Originally posted by Blade
    I think that one of the problems with this idea is the worry that such a board will turn out to be a gay adult meeting ground when we won't even have adult personals for straight people. Far as I know this whole adult personals thing is something they've wanted to keep off the boards and they therefor suggested that gay issues are like any other personal issues and therefor should be posted to the PI board.

My personal opinion however is that I would like to see in the future an area on the boards for dating (all preferences) and also one for reunions for old school friends etc. It's my feeling that the chances are theres quite a few people on the boards that your likely to know but you don't know who they are by their boards names. I also think these 2 ideas will move the boards towards being the no.1 bookmark in Ireland. I'm not sure they want it to become too big because of the traffic but theres other Irish personals sites out there making money from subs, perhaps we could do the same. It could just be a small sub.

Modding and swiss's or and adapted version on swiss's charter would make sure that all the boards contents are humane, suitable for all ages and does not turn into a personals board.
    The one problem (BIG problem) I can see about this one is that people will recognise you as a poster there. And then trolls will catch you elsewhere or some people might treat you differently. Kinda like Boston's point... but there should be a way of overcoming that.

So to sum it all up...

The END to my SPAMMING ;)
    Also, some people would feel more secure talking about, for example, coming out on a board where their posts won't be seen by people who may judge them badly, or where old friends might suddenly get a large surprise.

So my suggestion is that people just post there with their usernames blocked. Also would require the PM to mods to post though, cause unregistered would let in all the trolls. <i mean, what's more likely to drag in trolls PI or G/B/L?>

Still, I personally think it's great. I know there are a lot of people who are having a really hard time coming to grips with being gay and it would be quite handy for some people who just don't know what they are.

nn all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Surely the number of requests there have been over the years should show that a G/L/B board is warranted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This Gay/Les?bi issue always seems to pop up from time to time.

Maybe as a Community Forum it mightn't be a bad idea.

As mentioned above it will probably get one unmerciful trolling/spamming (perhaps from a lot of "newly registered" a/c's).

I wouldn't reccoment allowing unregistered posters, not unless you have a mod in mind who is a 24 hour boards robot.

As for Private Y/N, it doesn't matter to me because I won't exactly be a regular poster there but whats the point of hiding yourselves away ;)

Dave|STaN you hurt my head. G'way :p

Okay, here's my stance on some of the issues

1) How does one post/join?

Access is given to people who request access. Established posters can get access immediately, but newly formed accounts must hang on for a week or so to gain access. This will stop some random punter from changing their nick, requesting access and trolling it to the ground. If someone is serious then they won't mind waiting a little.

Unregistered posting is dodgy. I don't know if this is an option, but one *possible* way around this may be a special guest account especially set up for GLB, which one may request access to in order to post via a PM to a mod. That way, a person can retain his/her anonymity - and yet a mod would still know who that person is and take action against the poster if necessary.

2) If it is private, how does the community grow?

This is a tricky one. We can't assume that most boards posters are aware of this thread. Admin is a relatively popular board, but it is not that popular. This board would also not be noteworthy enough for an announcement. One idea would be to let it be viewable in the DHTML, but not allow people view/post in the board. The alternative would be by word of mouth.

3) What if it turns into a trollfest?

Subject to the answer to the first question, anyone who bothers to PM for access and/or who waits to post, who then post tripe have problems worse than homophobia. Heavy modding, and a liberal sprinking of bans will sort out this problem.

4) Won't it segragate boards?

You obviously haven't been reading this thread. Look back over it. Now.

Btw ill reply to these with how i see them also

1) How does one post/join?

I dont see why this board needs special treatment tbh, if the mods are active and unreg's have to go through a mod then that eliminates all that. The idea of the board is a public forum and information center for the gay community and those inquisitive about it. So the public would need to have access and to browse it freely. It should be placed in Community > Public > GLB ... OR Society > GLB ... because tbh it is an established part of the society in which we live and will continue to be until the world comes to an end.
    Its not in the lime light but its accessible if people want to. Also theres no suggestion that muppets will know what GLB stands for in the first place and just pass by the board like so many of us do.

2) If it is private, how does the community grow?

Em PI isnt word of mouth, ive staid away from all private forums cause ive no idea whats in them and ive no idea how to access them. That to me is Joe Soaps' attitude and will mean segregation of the board and the point of this is useless.

3) What if it turns into a trollfest?

Heavy modding, and a liberal sprinking of bans will sort out this problem. Or a pre post system would work. Im online for 3-4hours daily so daily backlog would be cleared every night.

4) Won't it segragate boards?

If its a passworded, private or pm only board then the answer is yes. This is a society board, and the fact that people are not gay and do not understand what it means to be gay or the thought that they might be gay. People have problems with the PI board and its most likely that people will have prolems with this board. But thats no reason to stop the board, because of homophobes etc. Your stoping something because of fear of muppets, muppets can be dealth with easily. Segregation or anything other than a GLB board (even a community board, like that the hell is that ? ) is turning a blind eye to a large proportion of the community which isnt fair tbh

Sheesh... what is everyone living in the dark ages here?

Just make the dam thing Public, if it gets trolls ban them.

Like how trolling are you expecting? The anti-gay league invasion or something?

If someone is seriously upset that they can't post from inside the closet they can just create a second account and use that. It's not like Cloud or Devore are going to cross reference IP's and hunt you down (unless your a muppet troller).

Also, last time I checked posting to a webboard doesn't make you gay.

... this thread is gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Right, seems to me the request came in for a Community Board.

There is a demand for it. People have said they want it and I think the numbers requesting it have reached the quota ?

The only issue is private or non-private

I think the spamming and trolling will actually be less with a private board since the trolls want as big an audience as possible.

There have been numerous people volunteering to be mods too and those volunteering seem of high calibre.

Last thing about this is that since as many people have said, this request comes up every now and then and generates a lot of yays and nays, setting one up will end this for good.

agreed its a request for a community/society board but i dont think it should be called 'community' :confused:

Oh come on! In san francisco they even call themselves the "gay community". But yeah... gotta say, just make it public. Go Hobbes for being the one to just go out and plain speak sense! Make a new name if you wanna keep it hush hush. If trolling does become an issue THEN measures can be put in place. Ah... most people are pretty tolerant these days, even if it is in a "you over there, me over here" way.

And I somehow doubt it'll split the boards. Unless you intend making a gay/bi/lesbian version of every other forum.

Just make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i dont think its suitable for boards.ie or for the age group that uses Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Quite simple really, - Community forum-
    and if it gets busy look into Unregistered posting (mwahahaa ;))
    Good Mods are needed - at least 2

Seems a big demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

If it is a public Gay/Lesbian/b-sexual (Goth ;)) community

I suggest that a *special* option in user cp to ignore all threads/posts that are ever posted in it.... :o

Surely the number of requests there have been over the years should show that a G/L/B board is warranted?
    Same could be said about a GAA board...but its not going to happen.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    i dont think its suitable for boards.ie or for the age group that uses Boards.ie.

And personal Issues board is? :)

Any age group? If they are under a certain age they are supposed to get parents permission anyway.

It's not like it's some top secret taboo subject that should never be discussed?

I'm not gay/bi/lesbian but I can easily list off a few. Some are even good friends, doesn't mean they have some disease or social stigma we shouldn't discuss.

If they want a board give it to them, it will quit them whining in this board. :)
    Same could be said about a GAA board...but its not going to happen.

Different reasons for not having a GAA board (even if it may appear in the future). If you like they can make G/B/L/GAA board?

I would say if you don't get the board just discuss it in After Hours board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Quick post.

I'm in favour of the setting up of the board (not that any more support is really needed on that score)

I think it's worth a try. If, as some people are saying, it doesn't get the traffic, well then, think about killing it. If people hate the idea, just stay away from there - then it's not going to affect your sensibilities too much (or at all). It's something that almost certainyl start slowly - so a reasonable amount of time to trial it (certainly over a month) would be required.

Charter is excellent btw swiss.

Don't quite know about the public v private /anonymity v lack of same problem. Any thoughts will be posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post above all makes sense to me! It's exactly what I've been saying :D (mostly lol)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bing! DeVore has completed his thinking task; Conclusion: Inconclusive.
    Recommended action: Wait for VB3 and reassess.

Thank you for using DeVore Incorporated. Be happy. Consume.

ok, this one is a toughie. its not the Gay/Les thing at all. Its the "innappropriate material" thing. Not that I expect pictures of manlove or anything just that say we create an area for G/L/B issues, and a forum for cannabis debate and a forum for Leather Fetish community etc... I'm just thinking about how we handle/manage these sensitive topics/forums.

Right now we dont have a good setup for that and VB3 seems to address a lot of issues around that kinda of thing.
    Personally I have no trouble with supporting ANY community regardless of its diversity so long as it is legal but due care and consideration needs to be taken about sensitive topics.

PI works but only just and only because it has excellent mods. I'm loath to take another step in that direction without the proper tools to do the job right.

This is my view, I'm not going to drop the hammer on this topic so to speak but I'll talk to Cloud about it and we'll see how we are going to handle ALL manner of mature communities (if at all).

DeVore.

Bing! DeVore has completed his thinking task; Conclusion: Inconclusive.
    Critical Oxymoron Alert!

A DeVore Brainfart Has Occurred. Please Restart Your World.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

And with a few seconds of thought from the Alcohol fueled supercomputer that makes boards decisions this debate is once again posponed!

Doesn't matter to me anyway.

And tbql, it saves the Admin team a lot of work with all the problems that would probably ensue with a Gay board.

(What would be funny is if it were a private forum, you could watch all the posters names appear on the boards homepage. And the carnage that would ensue.)

Well if the boards cant handel it, the boards cant handel it.
    Bring on vb 3 :)

/me in the meantime puts together sticky material, maybe the cs board can put them up :cool: j/k

Yeah, Ok.

To be fair, this is a sensitive topic insofar as it is a mature topic, and as such sets a precedent for all kinds of mature topics. The leather fetish thing was a troll (I notice it's been pulled - no offence to whoever posted it) with a point. GLB doesn't just refer to sexuality, it refers to a lifestyle and IMHO a lot of people don't get that. Otherwise it just becomes another one of those flash-in-the-pan boards that people will get kicks out of just because it's dodgy.

I don't agree with the concept of a cannabis board, for the same reasons why people (outwardly) don't agree with the concept of a GLB board, namely that it won't attract the traffic, it is already covered under the mantle of Humanities and it will attract trollers. The reason why I think an exception can be made for GLB is because of the points already raised in this thread.

A precedent already exists on boards for mature content. Specifically this relates to the Personal Issues (and to a far lesser extent) the After Hours board. Although the moderators do a great job on PI sometimes I wonder what a parent would think if his/her kid read the board and saw some posts about sexual problems/performance. So in a sense, I'm a little bit confused as to what kind of 'inappropriate material' DeV is talking about.

I do realise it is unfair to dump a mess into the laps of the admins and expect them to sort it out. God (DeV :) ) knows that this topic has been brought up here several times before (this is the 3rd time according to my feeble recollection since I've joined the board). It will come up again (that's not a threat btw, it's just how I see it :p ) so eventually there has to be a firm answer, one way or the other.

As for VB3, I honestly don't know what tools are there that would help in this situation. Powerful adminning tools are great, but as a compliment to moderation, not a replacement.
    Originally posted by Dave|STaN:

Well if the boards cant handel it, the boards cant handel it.
    I don't believe that the issue is the board itself anymore. I think it is more along the lines of the precedent it creates, and what it could introduce to boards in its wake. This is a trickier issue to gauge, if only because it is dangerously etheral :).

I'll have to think on this a little furthur.

• Advertisement

Yeah.. the appropriate thing is an issue, cause no matter what people want to think there is a certain amount of taboo around the whole homo issue. I mean, many people were polling for a private board cause they were uneasy publically discussing it...

I dunno though. Certainly the censor should get rid of anything overly bad and anything that slips through that can be modded out quick enough. And, as culchie_boy bitched about, there is a certain amount of ... unsuitable themes discussed here.

But yeah... whatever DeV thinks is probably best. Roll on vb3 so!

There is a big taboo about an issue like this so it seems, ive even seen the discussion for a GLB board been reffered to on other posts with regards to spam-beasts and trolls joining the board. Muppetry can ruin the reputation of any board on boards.ie as a whole and fear of muppetry lets them have their way tbh.

With regards to how i see the board running:
    1. Impose Swiss' Charter
    2. Allow unregged posting through mod's. Otherwise don't allow it.
    3. Have a mod(s) who are very active and can tell whats relevant to the board and what isnt. This means then that the admins dont have to be worried about what goes on, allowing them more pub time and/or doing whatever it is they do :D
    4. Have a number of stickies that would answer FAQ's or link to sites where people can read about gay related topics (events, info, nothing with adult content etc)
    5. Possibly Have a screening system for new topics/posts, ive seen it done on ikonboard based boards that I've admin'd before, im sure vB has a similar system (or will have with v3 - maybe what devore was reffering too). Although im not sure that this is necessary because the same can easily be said about the PI board. And if the board does at all get really popular with 'proper' members im sure such a system would get overloaded.

Thats about it really, i cant see it turning into an adult personals forum or a graphic sex related forum. There are other irish boards out there for that but i do think that every1 should have a place on boards.ie where they can discuss whats important to them as a person. Boards.ie, now ye're talking.

Advertisement