Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What band got you started into Heavy Metal?

Options
  • 27-08-2002 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

For me it was NIN. Seen their 'Head like a Hole' video on Beavis and Butthead and was hooked instantly. Spent the next 4 months after that looking for their CDs because I only caught the name of the song, not the group. When I found them, I was soooooo chuffed.
    Kinda funny considering I used to listen to Atlantic 252 before

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Machine Head and their album "The Burning Red" - quality.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Starting to feel old here-Iron maiden started the whole metal thing for me way back in 1986.Think it was the Powerslave album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

AC/DC. I had a Let there be Rock patch on my denim jacket when i was like 9 or summat. thats 19 years ago. Still listen to ac/dc, still listen to heavy metal in pretty much all its forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Iron Maiden too. around 1985 or so.

Dont listen to much metal now apart from some of the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Metallica and Iron Maiden for me....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

hehe i was thrown in at the deep end..it all began with sepultura's Roots....and it went down hill from there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

Roots, nice one to start with. Its always good if you start with a cracking album. I can still remember being over in a friends house and he played me Ratamahatta - I was hooked instantly. Max Cavelera is a fcuking king. So whats yer fav. Seps Riff or solo then???? I love the solo near the end of Territory from Chaos AD, the one with the widdly little fratwank bit at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My brother's Iron Maiden Albums, c. 1989. Then I went a bit mad for a few years, liking scooter etc, before taking up the guitar rekindled my spirit for all things unholy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

does faith no more count? i didnt really like metal, (im still not a particular fan) but faith no more were one of the few bands i could stomach at first on ray mcgowan's metal show on phantom fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

Affirmative on FNM, great band. Would have loved to have seen 'em live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well, definately the first one that comes to mind was Pantera when they released Cowboys From Hell. Then there was Metallica, Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss video got me into them), Guns 'n' Roses, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Faith No More and of course Pearl Jam. When I saw Morbid Angel on Beavis and Butthead in '95 I started getting into the really heavy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

grew up listening to sabbath, went pop during the mid 80's (shame!), then twas the summer of ''87/'88, oh what fun it was to hear maiden/metallica and sabbath again. and i wonder why i never really liked pop music at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jilt

my brother used to beat metallica, iron maidan and metallica into me and personally i can think of worse ways to spend childhood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I started ob In Flames, then went from their to the old stuff like metallica, iron maiden etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

AC/DC - Back In Black, that album is a BEAST !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

hmmm, my dad had me listening to queen and the dire dtraights from an ealry age, then my brother got me into guns n roses when i was about 7 im 13 now, and then i doscovered iron maiden and metallica etc myself.

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE

keep on rockin in the free world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Steve M

I was filled with curiosity by Marilyn Manson's image and when friends told me he actually really good I had to try his music for myself. I bought Antichrist Superstar and I've never looked back since...until people start threads forcing me to look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

First band I really got into was Korn, Life is Peachy (Yes call me n00b i'm only 17) but I had been listening to black sabbath and deep purple since I was a baby as my mother is really into them.

Now I really like Black Sabbath which some ppl find strange for a person of my age, especially since I also like new metal such as Korn and System of a Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

When i was about five i got a walkman for christmas...
    So i asked my Gran to get me a tape for it. She went into the music store and asked "what would my grandson be likely to listen to?". Store guy hands her Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying. Not what I'd expected to be listening to over the festive season(or at the age of 5!), good stuff though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Probably <gulp> Metallica. My cousins and sister were really into them when i was just a pup and then Until It Sleeps came out. That video and Therapy?'s Diane were the two things that stayed in my mind till I made the full leap into metal and out of soft rock like U2 and Queen a good few years back. The fact that I'm no longer really a metaller <still love metal but my tastes are too diverse to class me as one> doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

yeah, metallica too- i nicked my brother's iron maiden and metallica tapes when i was about 12, listened to them for about a week, then found them again a couple of years later, during the angry "my parents dont understand me" phase, and it really, like, spoke to me, man!!! that, and it rocks like a bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

me brudder n sister used to have pantera/metallica/slayer etc blaring and i used to complain all the time but they obviously made an impression because after eventually getting big into music i'd be listening to this stuff for the first time and be thinking 'hey i know this'...thanx to me big bruv and sistaaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭/|/)etal)-|ead

lol I used to listen to really **** techno/pop stuff that i thought was cool ( i blame peer pressure ;)), but then at around age 12, i got into the whole "life sucks" thing, so I also got into NIN and Marilyn Manson (before antichrist superstar came out :) and Smashing Pumpkins and Tool and stuff. Beavis and Butthead also got me into GWAR!!! lol they seem to have boosted the popularity of many bands... Now i'm obsessed with 80s metallica ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'm ashamed to say it but..............Kerrang. I start watching it and heard slipknot (wait & bleed, spit out) and liked their stuff, then started listening to manson, korn, pantera, nin, slayer, metallica, iron maiden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Repli
    I'm ashamed to say it but..............Kerrang. I start watching it and heard slipknot (wait & bleed, spit out) and liked their stuff, then started listening to manson, korn, pantera, nin, slayer, metallica, iron maiden

Tis a shame, when I think about what you used to like.
    A little tear begins to trickle down my cheek. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Genesis

My brother's metallica,iron madien album's got me into it,but now i listen koRn and slipknot a bit of change for the new centuary:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Rage against the machine and System of a down (the first album).

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

a guy i knew in school gave a lend of korns first album on tape, and he showed me slipknots video, just when they were starting up and they werent really that famous.

then i saw the matrix and loved the music from it,i bought the soundtrack and it opened me up to Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Rammstien, the Deftones and most importantly my fave band RATM :D

from there i just started listenin to albums in the shops and buyin them if i liked em, and i still do :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

For me it was Queen and Guns N' Roses.

I was 6 when I first heard Boh Rap and I found it hilarious. Then after a while it grew on me, By the next month I knew all the words to every Queen song. :)

The same thing happened again when I first heard Welcome To The Jungle. I found it humourous. This was when I started getting into the more heavy stuff. After GNR I went back to things like Led Zep, Hendrix and Pink Floyd. Then Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, AC/DC and Metallica. It went on and on!

Advertisement