Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegetarian restaurants

• 27-08-2002 9:38am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok lads an' lassies, some assistance required please, today we have a friend coming to Dublin from Froggieland for the first time and he's a vegetarian, me being a full blown carnivore I have no clue whatsoever what restaurant (in Dublin city centre) I can bring him to for a gourmet vegetarian meal!

any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Cornocopia (sp?) on Wicklow street is nice, one of my favourites is Govinda's on Georges st, its a Hari Krisna(sp?) restaurant. food is fantastic quite cheap too.
    Cornocopia is just past Tower Records and Govindas is past The capital Bar beside the martial arts shop.
    :)

I think juice on Georges St is Veggie too but i think its more of a cafe than anyting else.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Certainly not gourmet food, but there is a vegetarian and vegan only restaurant/cafe on Wicklow Street, which might be worth a visit for a lunch-time bowl of soup.
    Whilst I normally shudder when someone mentions vegetarian food, I do enjoy their soups.

Can't remember the name of it I'm afraid (I will post it up if I do remember), but it will be easy enough to find, just look for the place attracting the pale/crusty/hippy/emaciated types on the same side of the street as Louis Copeland.

As far as gourmet grub goes, I would be inclined to just pick a good restaurant as they all do something vegetarian now.
    Ask them when booking your table.

Fado (beside Mansion House) is nice, as is The Tea Room (Clarence Hotel). If you want to give your guest a taste of home take him/her to Les Freres Jacque on Dame Street (few doors up from The Olympia) or Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud (beside the The Merrion Hotel).

Warning: you will need to be rich to eat in Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thanks lads, I will try one of these.
    samson - I've been to both the Fado and Frere Jacques, very posh and requires me to do a bank robbery before I can pay! perhaps I will make him pay as I am being so nice an' all showing him around Dublin! :D
    thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you like Chinese Ber, go to Pings (beside where Blakes used to be, across the road from Stillorgam s/c), they do a lot of veggie stuff for a chinese. They even do vegetarian Yuk Sung, which is one of the big ones I had missed since turning... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I know it's abit of an old thread but can anyone reccomemnd a vegetarian restaurant for me? any new ones opened in the last few years or are the ones already mentioned above the best....? :D

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:
    I know it's abit of an old thread but can anyone reccomemnd a vegetarian restaurant for me? any new ones opened in the last few years or are the ones already mentioned above the best....? :D
    Anything you're looking for in particular? Like where, what type of food, etc

seamus wrote:
    Anything you're looking for in particular? Like where, what type of food, etc

Well, i'm looking for a decent standard restaurant (not hippy'ish :)) in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Wagamama by Stephen's Green do some really nice Veggie dishes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jaipur - dame street. Really nice, not too pricey.

Cork_girl wrote:
    Wagamama by Stephen's Green do some really nice Veggie dishes ;)

Cheers. I'll try that. :D

tusky wrote:
    Jaipur - dame street. Really nice, not too pricey.

Thanks for the suggestion...Is that an indian?

It's actually my girlfriend who is a veggie (I'm a pure carnivore) and we tend to eat in Indian's quite alot as they tend to have a good veggie selection but it gets a bit stale after a while.

Just beginning to realise how difficult it is to find new and unusual vegetarian meals in Dublin.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cornicopia is truely the way forward. Not a vegetarian myself but I love the place.
    But its more a cafe than a resturant. Their soup is something to behold.

You're so thoughtful!!! Hope u enjoy it :)

Cork_girl wrote:
    You're so thoughtful!!! Hope u enjoy it :)

LOL....i wish!!! :D

Cornicopia is truely the way forward. Not a vegetarian myself but I love the place.
    Went and had a look at the menu today with the girlie and she wasn't really that impressed. Strangely enough, I thought it was great...lots of things that appealed to me!. Seemed a bit hippyish...don't want to sound like a snob :D but surely it's possible to get a decent veggie meal without adopting an "alternative lifestyle"!!! :D

there's Oscar Taylor's too.. in the Island View Hotel.. haven't eaten there but they do veggie dishes and might be bit more suitable for a "gourmet" meal.. but prob need own transport its on Coast Road, Malahide...

Govinda's on George's St is great, some gorgeous food, but it's really more a lunch place.

There's also Juice lower down on George's St (close enough to the George). Gone there a couple of times with herself. Great veggie stuff.

Cork_girl wrote:
    there's Oscar Taylor's too.. in the Island View Hotel.. haven't eaten there but they do veggie dishes and might be bit more suitable for a "gourmet" meal.. but prob need own transport its on Coast Road, Malahide...

Thanks again....might be a bit difficult getting there but i'll keep it in mind!

seamus wrote:
    Govinda's on George's St is great, some gorgeous food, but it's really more a lunch place.

There's also Juice lower down on George's St (close enough to the George). Gone there a couple of times with herself. Great veggie stuff.

yeah have heard good things about these too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

yummy, there is a govindas opening up in middle abbey street...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Not a Dublin restaurant but Cafe Paradiso in Cork is fantastic. The head chef is a genius and the menu is great. All organic stuff too. Some gourmet friends say it is the best restaurant (inc the non veggie ones) in Cork and I have heard various people class it as the best veggie restaurant in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

go to any indian restaurent
    they serve veggee as more then 50& of indian are veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Also Cafe Fresh, top floor Powerscourt centre is a nice veggie place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 justmayank

I have not visited this place as I have still not reached Dublin and would reach in the next few days. I did some research on restaurents that can help you :) . This one seems to be an interesting one. Jaipur Restaurent, 41, South Great George's Street, Dublin - 2. Tel: +353 1 6770999. Let me know, if you require more information. - Enjoy Mayank :cool:

PS: I am looking for an accommodation :confused: for the next 6 months in Dublin. open to live as a paying guest or share a room / apartment. Help required !! I speak English. My email: justmayank@yahoo.co.uk
    Beruthiel wrote:
    ok lads an' lassies, some assistance required please, today we have a friend coming to Dublin from Froggieland for the first time and he's a vegetarian, me being a full blown carnivore I have no clue whatsoever what restaurant (in Dublin city centre) I can bring him to for a gourmet vegetarian meal!

any help would be much appreciated!

Advertisement