Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today with Philip Bouchier Hayes on Radio 1 getting interested

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I didn't hear the dicussion at all. :(

Does anyone want to give a quick overview of the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I didn't get to hear it either, sadly :/
    Is it going to be posted up on the website does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Just follow this link http://www.radio1.ie/morning/patkenny/
    and click on the head phones beside thursday.
    RTE deserve complements for archiving this stuff pretty well.
    Of course you could listen too the whole show but you might prefer to scroll through to 1 hour and 14 minutes before you start listening - it runs for about 12 minutes from then.

I really thought PBH's questions revealed he just did not get the point that this is a consumers issue - not a technology issue.

Anyway well done Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

"Unable to establish connection to:

http://maillist.rte.ie/smiltest/eircomimg.rp"

That's what Pat Kenny's link is to :)
    Not working at the moment,as ye can see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I don't understand that Kamobe
    - its working fine for me
    try going in through rte.ie then radio then select programme "today with philip..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Nope its not working. However you can download it via FTP from this link, unfortunately its quite big and those who have a well developed sense of irony will appreciate that it takes too long to download a recording of someone complaining about the speed of the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

http://www.rte.ie/audio/pkenny2.ra

Put that into the "open location" dialog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

christ do i HAVE to install bloatware onto my pc to listen to this?:(

I hate RP, dont suppose someone wants to convert it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

im in the same boat as u Dustaz. I hate RP.

guess installing it and uninstalling it will have to be done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"Unable to establish connection to:

http://maillist.rte.ie/smiltest/eircomimg.rp"

Have you turned any firewalls off? Always helps... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I listened with baited breath but turned the radio off with a
    sigh, not Daves fault but a 10 min discussion without Errorcon
    and with Philip Boucher-Hayes was never going to be very
    enlightening. Too technical for the casual listener too dull for
    sad net-vets like us here.

The only way to make an impact in such a chat is to go big on prices and state how the UK is so much cheaper, giving hard figues then linking that with Ireland Plc and the infomation economy. I'm sure many sat with thier cups of teas or with an Iron in one hand were left completely unmoved. Still 10 mins is better than nothing, its just a pity Pat Kenny is still on his hols.
    Boucher-Hayes is strickly lightweight.

A phase I cooked up which I like to use sums it up.-

" The internet is the internal combustion engine of the 21st century!" That usually gets ppls attention. Then I explain what the hell I'm on about.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Too technical for the casual listener too dull for
    sad net-vets like us here.

I agree mike65, it was difficult with the format they chose. Philip wanted to alternate between the two of us, which did not allow me to really get to the core. I tried to keep it simple, but at the end the "unlit fibre" comment was perhaps a little ott.

Originally I was told it was to be a head to head with Eircom and myself in the studio. In the end I did not get a call back until 8:45 this morning and I was somewhat surprised they were still going ahead with it. As you point out its not really a worthwhile excercise without some comment from Eircom. I was a little put off by the focus on ISDN hence my comment on it being somewhat old tech with the cost of two calls being imposed to get anywhere close to so called "Hi- Speed".

Although exposure such as this may not get the populous of Ireland jumping up and down with rage, I was pleased by the response I got to the piece. With such heavy weight discussions on the show with the Minister for Health and John Simpson there was a good audience and new avenues for exploration have presented themselves ;) . A little cryptic I know but we'll battle on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

nice one for getting flatrate mentioned. I think it was backed up well by jamie ,pity pbh didnt question the (we're greedy and we can do what we want) eircom reply

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by Dangger

I agree mike65, it was difficult with the format they chose. Philip wanted to alternate between the two of us, which did not allow me to really get to the core. I tried to keep it simple, but at the end the "unlit fibre" comment was perhaps a little ott.

Originally I was told it was to be a head to head with Eircom and myself in the studio. In the end I did not get a call back until 8:45 this morning and I was somewhat surprised they were still going ahead with it. As you point out its not really a worthwhile excercise without some comment from Eircom. I was a little put off by the focus on ISDN hence my comment on it being somewhat old tech with the cost of two calls being imposed to get anywhere close to so called "Hi- Speed".

Although exposure such as this may not get the populous of Ireland jumping up and down with rage, I was pleased by the response I got to the piece. With such heavy weight discussions on the show with the Minister for Health and John Simpson there was a good audience and new avenues for exploration have presented themselves ;) . A little cryptic I know but we'll battle on!

Well after eventually being able to listen I have to say you done excellently under the circumstances. It’s a very difficult line to walk between esoteric techno babble and open accessible discussion. In saying that though I was disappointed with the fact that it wasn’t you versus €ircon which would have been much better. In the end they displayed either their cowardice or contempt for the net users in Ireland by not even sending a representative. Instead they give a statement singing the same tired old song and don’t even mention DSL. As another poster stated it’s a testament to €ircon’s PR that people still see ISDcrappyN as a “hi-speed” solution. It pisses me off no end.
    May I also make a suggestion that the website be given out so people can find out more about IOFFL, the louder the voice the harder it is to ignore.

Edit: I don’t know who that guy from the times was but I didn’t really appreciate his contribution much, i.e. “200,000” DSL customers in Dublin???? Or is this yet another theoretical figure. His comment about it being 3 -4 years before DSL was widely available sent shudders down my spine and if that really is the case then I’ll be making plans for emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think overall it was good. It was a bit annoying that ISDN kept being brought up but it was good in the sense that it allowed you to point out that even if it was to be considered as broadband (i know it's not but some people seem to think it is) it is still billed per minute.
    And besides, some bloke said it best when he said "any publicity is good publicity."

Well done Dave.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I found it annoying that ISDN was mentioned a lot also... At least, as someone said before, it's good publicity :)

I wonder if any more people will be contacting IOFFL or PBH in relation to that piece?

Edit: I forgot to mention, Well Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

originally posted by Hannibal_12
    Edit: I don’t know who that guy from the times was but I didn’t really appreciate his contribution much, i.e. “200,000” DSL customers in Dublin????

Careful now, he said 200,000 customers had ACCESS to dsl :)

I was very impressed with the interview. Joe Bloggs listening in, will understand that he pays by the minute for his internet usage. Joe Bloggs was informed that 49c for ISDN is rubbish, and that ISDN itself, is in fact rubbish (elderly technology). Eircom not showing up, bravo, no waffling defence from them, and their "friendly neighbourhood company" image will be tarnished as a result (there were two or three instances, where negative remarks about Eircom were made, with no disagreement. People notice these things...).

If only a number of these interviews could be aired within a short period of time, then the information will begin to sink in. Have RTE broadcasted anything on Six-1 with relation to IOFFL? I'm sure they pay through the teeth for net access too....

All said, excellent interview - well done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Finally got to listen to the interview and just wanted to say fair play to you dave. All the main points were covered and covered as well as could be in the time/format allowed.

That interview is sure to have converted quite a lot of people. Again, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

great interview. but the point about being too complicated for the normal joe bloggs is worth looking into.

what are the hard hitting simple facts that we want to get across?

- Broadband is 5 times more expensive to Irish users, and only available to 5% of the population.

- ISDN is a 10 year old slow technology that is provided as standard to German homes.

- A British net user pays €1.20 a day to use the internet for 10 hours during business hours. An irish net user, for the exact same service pays €12. It's 10 times more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Excellent point nahdoic.

These threads are so useful in boiling down the issues. Before I take the call my mind is usually racing with the issues that could be addressed in what ever amount of time I get. Having the facts boiled down collectively like this is a real benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Well done,Dave.I heard the interview,live.It's a pity more time wasn't allocated to the subject.
    On a sort of side note,I don't get the chance anymore to hear Gareth O Callaghan's show on 2FM these days.I remember before the world cup he touched on the topic,and said the interest in it was huge,and that he'd return to it,in a more detailed way soon after.
    Did he ever get back to it?............or did one of RTE's biggest repeat advertisers tell him not to be bold.You know of whom I speak;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just listened to the show this moning. Excellent stuff Dave. The coverage (newspapers, radio etc) is finally coming through and the points are hitting home. More to the point, judging by yesterday's SBPost and the interview, all the commentators are firmly on side.

Advertisement