Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Big Boards Bike Rally

Options
  • 27-08-2002 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Just an idea. Seeing as there's a good load of bikers on the boards. Plus the fact that I've never been on one, it would be easier to do my first one with people whom I have some passing acquaintance ;)

And I'm willing to forgoe the embarrasment of having the slowest bike, just for the craic.....

Good Idea, Bad Idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by seamus
    Just an idea. Seeing as there's a good load of bikers on the boards. Plus the fact that I've never been on one, it would be easier to do my first one with people whom I have some passing acquaintance ;)

And I'm willing to forgoe the embarrasment of having the slowest bike, just for the craic.....

in fact, it's also something I've always wanted to do, but having a kid curbs what I can get up to and being away for the weekend is not on for me unfortunately :( (unless you wanna go for a spin around the phoenix park??)

btw - bet my bikes slower than yours!

ps.
    who are you anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Beruthiel

in fact, it's also something I've always wanted to do, but having a kid curbs what I can get up to and being away for the weekend is not on for me unfortunately :( (unless you wanna go for a spin around the phoenix park??)

btw - bet my bikes slower than yours!

ps.
    who are you anyway??

I should have known you'd be the first to reply. I was actually thinking a one dayer, 'cos I don't think my bike would be up to a full weekend. A 400 mile round trip in one day or somefink (ending up in the pub obviously).

ps
    Always forgetting me.......I beginning to think you don't care ;) *sob*

Originally posted by seamus
    I should have known you'd be the first to reply. I was actually thinking a one dayer, 'cos I don't think my bike would be up to a full weekend. A 400 mile round trip in one day or somefink (ending up in the pub obviously).
    ps
    Always forgetting me.......I beginning to think you don't care ;) *sob*

400 miles, me poor bum! me poor bike!! it's a 125, that might kill it! the pub would have to be somewhere you could leave your bike safe as you wouldn't be driving it home afterwards!

ps
    no need to cry, I don't recall ever saying I cared! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i`d lov to but i dont know if little JET LI ( thats me scooters name) could take that kind of milage .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

sounds like fun, and my bike is probably just as slow as yours seamus - Virago 125 :)

ph33r the 55-65mph!

It would be funny alright seeing a bike rally full of small, slow bikes :p

• Advertisement

It would be funny alright seeing a bike rally full of small, slow bikes

lol - we could start a new trend!

There's a few others around here with bikes too - Kegser has an R1 and logic has a CBR 250 RR as far as I know. Rymus has a DragStar 650... who else is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I hear YORE MA rides a beast...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    the pub would have to be somewhere you could leave your bike safe as you wouldn't be driving it home afterwards!

Exactly. This would have been a brilliant idea while the weather was fine... unless ye dont actually mind the pissin rain (I dont). Might I propose a location which isnt too far from everyone. I dont really fancy drivin all the way to Dublin for one nights drinkin. Been to a few other rallies - a pub in some noname town in the middle of nowhere normally works best. We all know the kind, the ones that dont actually close.

So a long nights drinking followed by a nice stumble back to.. your tent!?! Ok so many of you might not leap at the idea of a spot of camping but its a fantastic larf (I'll happily accomodate any good looking women in my tent :D)

400 miles is a bit lengthy.. even 75 mile trip back from Limerick today numbed my arse somewhat.

Anyway, I'm well up for a boards biker rally! I'll see about a couple of possible locations and post again when I come up with something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Sounds like a larf.

I just got me a virago 125 too , keeping in the slow bike trend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I'd be a bit hard pressed to keep with a group of slow bikes like that to be honest.... I generally go a little bit faster :)

The Bubblegum run is this coming Sunday if any of ye are interested.... details can be found on www.bubblegumclub.ie.

Next weekend is full of Mondello trackdays.... but they're quite pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i know a few peeps with bikes u would be interested and none of them are that fast
    i have an rs125, i know 2 people with nsr's one with an ns1 one with an fzr250 and one with a fazer 400
    we would probably all be able to join u if the date is right
    there are road races somewhere in early sept(around 13th)
    would u all be interested in headin up for weekend? or even just a day

Bugger, I would have loved to take part in that bubblegum club rideout - if only I'd heard about it before now. Can't go getting sunday off work with such short notice.

In my quest to plan a perfect route for the big boards biker bash Id like to ask people that are interested in going to post their location. If youre interested in an overnight or over weekend please say so...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm in Lucan, Dublin. I reckon just a one-dayer would be good, but it's not really feasible. An overnighter would be well cool. I'd try help sort it out 'cept I wouldn't have a clue what to do, and I'm on hols til the 16th of Sept. :D

we're neighbours Seamus, Chapelizod, Dublin
    not sure about the overnight thingie

I will admit that an overnighter can be a tad daunting but its the only option really for a 'nationwide' rally where large amounts of alcohol may be consumed.

Could be possible to organise a one day option but we'd all have to get up at a crazy hour in the morning and go home at a crazy hour in the evening... You get the idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

road racing, skerries area, sunday sept 15th
    any interested in headin up, coz a few of us are already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭skorn

hey seamus bet my bikes slower still

its a 50cc Italjet Formula 50

I'm also in Lucan (you might have seem me around on my little black no. 2 scooter)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Thread stuck

(Gots ta gets me a bike!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Kegser

The Bubblegum run is this coming Sunday if any of ye are interested.... details can be found on www.bubblegumclub.ie.

When I was in work today they all drove past. Was bloody madness.
    I'd never wanted a motorbike more in my life. :)
    And the police were fairly mad, booting down the wrong side of the road at high speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭krinDar

These are the Killalane road races, which usually happen during the second weekend of September.
    However this years races have been cancelled because the circuit is in too bad a state.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T42E12BB1 (maxrpm.co.uk)

I am sure there will be may bikes up that direction as there seems to be very little notice
    of the cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

yeah that's a good idea, but something tells me it'll be hard to get everyone together for it with distance as the main reason.

i myself have a DragStar 650 and i'm in the south tipp/waterford area, never been on a bike rally but would love to go, will keep an eye on the boards and if you get anywhere i'll see if i can make it :)

Keep it in the south east, go on :p

That way i'll be able to get there with my little virago :)

after not alot of thought on the subject (due to work and such) I reckon one of the more likely places to meet would be somewhere around the Kilkenny area. Yes its a hell of a long distance but as Eye (and many others) have said, more or less everyone thats interested in going live faaaaaaaaar away from each other.

One more option which may prove slightly more viable is the following. I, along with the rest of the people from Cork could drive to Waterford. Join up with the Waterford crowd, Drive to some agreed location (I dont really feel like driving all the way up to Dublin) and meet the Dublin (and surrounding areas) crowd. And so on and so on and so on.. It would of course mean that any southern bikers end up driving half way (or the whole way) around the country but if the weather is nice I wouldnt personally have a problem with that.

It would mean however that this could most definately not be a one day trip. Its a funny old situation. Either that or a more logical plan... We all agree on a time & place to meetup and the people who must travel a fair distance to that location will just have to grin and bear it.. or not turn up...

Back to the intensive Autoroute research methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

thats actually a good idea, if we could get everyone to post up letting us know what group they would be in, i.e. cork, dublin, limerick, waterford....etc. we could try and see about getting groups to meet up on the way to a somewhat central venue, killkenny ain't a bad idea, it's gonna be a fair drive from either cork, limerick or dublin, pretty central by the looks of things, like rymus said, we could get the cork and waterford crowds to meet up and then continue on to the final destinaion.

as long as the weatehr is good i have no problems doing distance driving, i.e. a 300 mile round trip would be fine to me but not for others so it's a matter of getting a centralized location for it and killkenny sounds good.

keep us updated on any progress anyway and i'll do my best to make it :)

btw, i'd be in the waterford area i guess, it's the closest city of sorts for me to get to.

Waterford or Kilkenny would be deadly for me. (I can only do about 100 miles on a full tank :D)

Originally posted by Stephen
    I can only do about 100 miles on a full tank :D)

I'm nearly sure there will be petrol stations along the way :D

Join the club Stephen. I only get a max of 100 miles out of a tank too... if biking my ass around many counties has taught me anything its that there are petrol stations everywhere!

Better bring a length of hose and a few mints just in case :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

That sounds really good :) I live in leixlip so would join in with the dublin crowd if thats allright.

Of course the n4 into dublin is like a mini bike rally every morning anyway ;)

Advertisement