Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Big Boards Bike Rally

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Right, I've spent some time with autoroute and come up with the following. Lets presume that our final meeting place is Kilkenny and each group is meeting at city/town centres (for milage)

If you're coming from Cork:
    Meet in the city centre in the morning. Drive to Waterford & pick up more people. Continue on to Kilkenny to meet anyone thats driving from Dublin or surrounding areas.
    Cork to Waterford: 76 miles
    Waterford to Kilkenny: 29 miles

If youre coming from Dublin:
    same as from Cork, maybe a stop in Kildare or Laois to meet people. Get your arses to Kilkenny cos were waiting for ye :D
    Dublin to Kilkenny: 72 miles

The Dublin crowd can afford to leave later than the Cork crowd due to the shorter distance. This will also facilitate anyone that wants to come down from Meath, Louth, Cavan, etc...

Thats the east coast sorted.

Now that were all in Kilkenny where the hell are we going to go? I'm going to go out on a limb and call this "Day 1". So its no later than about 2pm and its day 1. Time for a drive. I seriously hope nobody is squeamish about milage by the way. Heres one possible route (that assumes we all want to go for a HELL of a drive :D)

Kilkenny - Limerick: 65 miles (we could meet limerick people here)
    Limerick - Galway: 54 miles (bound to be some Galway people)

Ok were in Galway, where to now? After Galway I'm pretty lost. Given that its probably only about 5 or 6pm we could take it further north to Mayo or Sligo and find a nice country pub to get completely pissed in. Lets say we stay in Galway. Find a place to park and pitch your tent (if you're a tent person, otherwise find a nice hostel or B&B). Right, wheres the nearest pub?

Day 2:
    After I get back from the shop to buy lucozade to nurse my hangover with and eat a nice fried breakfast I'll be ready to go. Longford?

Galway - Longford: 67 miles
    Longford - Meath: 53 miles (I've been to paradise, but I've never been to Meath)
    Meath - Dublin: 31 miles (bye bye Dublin people)

Dublin - Wicklow: 30 miles
    Wicklow - Wexford: 57 miles or Wicklow - Cavan: 43 miles

Carlow - Waterford: 46 miles (bye bye Waterford people)
    Waterford - Cork: 76 miles (bye bye Cork people... oh wait... thats me!?!)

As you can see the distance between stops is pretty long in most cases. No timetables, no schedules... Once we all meet up we can take our time, do some sightseeing, chase sheep around the fields of Galway, stand around in a big group looking menacing... pretty much anything.

I apologise to anyone that only wanted a one day trip but if were going to do this, we might as well really do it properly. Its 2 long days of driving (for the Cork group more than anyone else) but I think it would be worth it.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments post your heart out cos in the end I want to create a route that'll suit everyone and make sure that everyone has a great 2 days (specially the first timers). As for time, I'd suggest going on a Saturday and coming back on Sunday (or Friday/Saturday) given that I'm sure most of you work weekdays. This is the only area we'll have to compromise in. Some of you might have to get weekends off but I'm sure if given plenty of notice there wont be problems. When are we leaving? Well, we've seen the weather forecasts! As soon as possible! Hopefully the good weather will hold out for at least the rest of September. Next couple of weeks?

The question on everyones lips.... how long is the whole trip? well... If youre from Cork then you'll be travelling 580 miles (or about 6 tanks of petrol to me and you Stephen). If you want a map of where we could be going (assuming everyone agrees) then click here

Thank you and goooooooodnight, I'm off to the pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds great - we'd better decide on a date though, cos those of us who work at weekends (ie me :)), many will have to give a few weeks notice to get the time off.

Good plan :)

Where do ye want to meet up in Kilkenny? I was thinking maybe in front of Kilkenny Castle - decent room to park a bunch of bikes, and not too far into the town so as to get caught in traffic very much. Its just off the N10 kilkenny-carlow-dublin road also.

Originally posted by Stephen
    I was thinking maybe in front of Kilkenny Castle

Perfect! Lets call that the Kilkenny spot then.

Cork meeting spot is... lets say Silversprings car park.

It someone wants to suggest limerick & galway places give me a shout, otherwise we'll wing it when we arrive.

As for dates.. how would the first weekend in October sound? Saturday the 5th and Sunday the 6th. If/when I get a general 'ok' to that I'll create a seperate thread with all the details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Hrmm, the second weekend would suit myself better, got a stag weekend in galway to attend on the first weekend :)

second weekend in October it is then... is that enough time for everyone to get off work?

(depends on weather of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

damn i've not been checking this often enough :(

hmm sounds like an interesting plan, though i would'nt really fancy going off for the whole weekend...might join in for a section of it though, from the waterford to limerick perhaps...will think it over and get back to you's all anyway,looks like a good ol' run though, would love to do it all, distance ain't a problem for me :)

I'm gonna make a 'formal' post on the date & plan in the next day or two...

feel free to join in with the ride and leave whenever it suits you, as long as I'm not left going around the country on my own :D

I would request (if I may be so bold) that anyone thats definately going could send me a little note via email to reassure me that at least 2 or 3 people are going to turn up. my email is rymus@eircom.net

Maybe Im being overly pesimistic but as I said I dont really want to get all the way to Kilkenny and find out that everyones changed their minds and stayed at home :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Right who owns one of these....

duc_600.jpg

Ill gladly be your pillion passenger for the two days...

Are car people allowed follow for the crack... Might be handy for transporting stuff like tents/beer...???

Advertisement