Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just say words

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

Hobnail Monkey, Ph3n0m... i apologise...

dave intel(l)igence aint in spelling!

anyhoo...i shall add to the topic so this is not another pointless topic...

i know he aint metal but all of leonard cohens lyrics...if the man didnt play music he'd be a poet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Kurdt, no need for the apology and you are quite right about Leonard Cohen's lyrics.

but i just realised something, it doesnt matter what type of music of what music you listen too, for each individual there will always be a message to be found, even in (shudder) pop songs. it just depends on whether the message in most songs is the one you want to hear (true, or am i just rambling again?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

I shudder to think that any boy or girlband could convey a meaningful message in the tripe they release. God, then that would make that uberdickhole Louis Walsh some kind of spiritual guru - not good!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

fair enuff Ph3n0m...i'm sure there are ppl out there that find great joy in pop song lyrics...but i dont think they have the same affect...i mean...i was looking at an interview with the gallagher bruvers the other day and they made a very valid point about real music and real lyrics, saying songs can only be 'real' if they're true and inspired by a certain situation or person or whatever...

pop songs are made to make in money...most of the pop 'stars' dont write their own songs...therefore to me that aint real...but noel, when asked would he ever write an album as good as definately maybe, he replied that he wrote it when he was 21, on the dole, in the gutter so to say...and that hes never gonna be in such a situation again so he cant right that sorta stuff...

sorry bout the rant...

what i am saying is, pop songs do not possess feeling....the sorta music we're talking about here does! and i think that makes a big difference...not just the music, but the feelings and emtions too...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Ph3n0m

yeah but ST do it much better :)

oh baby you know it!

why should they lie there so peacefully
    while we're up above in such misery
    i dont care if theyve already died
    thats not enought o keep me satisfied...

i defintely thing vocals do more for a song than the actual lyrics.
    listen to a lot of bands and they really dont sing about much.

2 classic cases are iron maiden and metallica.

neither have really ever gone for deep and meaningful lyrics, but both hatfield and dickenson have powerful voices.

and then listen to bands with whingey whiney lyrics like smaching pumkins or rem who are all deep and meaningful and they are pretty crap.

and mike muir just fúcking rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

well ive plenty of lyrics that i really really love and that i think are beautiful....but seeing as this is the rock/metal forum i fugured this thread would be in keeping with that...see im not good at labelling things, i dont know what to class certain artists as...
    jeff buckley, his lyrics are gorgeous
    the smiths, so realistic, and you can relate to them
    this mortal coil, beautiful, even if u cant relate to them its like a picture being painted :)

theres more but i dont know if i'd get away with saying them in here, it'd be more relevant in the music/radio and not rock/metal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah suicidal tendencied are great....also king missile, good music backed by funny lyrics (check out detatchable penis, among others!) well..more satirical lyrics...theyre funy coz theyre true..(bar detatchable penis, i hope thats not true!)

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

mike muir just fúcking rocks

indeed he does, just aswell I am listening to the classic album "Controlled by Hatred/Feel Like Sh*t De-Ja-Vu"...mwhahahahaha

indeed he does, just aswell I am listening to the classic album "Controlled by Hatred/Feel Like Sh*t De-Ja-Vu"...mwhahahahaha

i bought a double special a few months back. controlled by hatred and lights camera in a special package with nice booklet and covers etc. special edition.
    very nice
    cost me nearly 40 quid sterling as well!
    worth it though.
    now i have two copies on cd of them both!

aye, saw that special pack, but then decided screw that i will merely order all of 'em from the states....hehehe cheapness is always good (

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?style=music&HT_SEARCH=XARTIST&HT_SEARCH_INFO=Suicidal+Tendencies&cart=125740928

for nice ST deals (very bloody cheap)

but one wonders is WWM, an infectious grooves fan aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

Have never heard much Suicidal Tendencies, apart from one or two tunes from John Kennys old Metal show on 2FM. I went down the Henry Rollins road of rage instead - there's a great lyricist

but one wonders is WWM, an infectious grooves fan aswell?

alladin solomon jackson da thurd

but then i bursted out with shake your sweaty stinky booty.

and i even have cyco mikos first solo album.

although to be honest i havent got the last 3 st albums and i dont know if IG released abything after the family syco album, but i have there first three.

still a big fan, but not as mad about the new stuff. kinda lost the way when robert trojillo started influencing the music with heavy bass riffs and i think it took away from what was a great hardcore/skate/thrash* band

*pick an album :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

There was a young girl, whose heart was a frown,
    Because she was crippled for life, and couldn't speak a sound
    And she wished and prayed she would stop living, so she decided to die.
    She drew her wheel chair to the edge of the shore, and to her legs she smiled

"You won't hurt me no more."
    But then a sight she'd never seen made her JUMP AND SAY
    "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
    And it really didn't have to stop...it just kept on going.
    And so castles made of sand slips into the sea,
    Eventually

From probably my most favourite song ever. Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made Of Sand.

Also I have to agree wholeheartedly with the vocals adding more to a song than lyrics. I love Rammstein and I can't understand a word they are saying.

Advertisement