Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using digital camera on a pda

• 27-08-2002 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering, was anyone able to use their digital camera on a pda? ie, getting their pics via USB or whatever, just wondering was it possible, as I presume you need special software for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...you've got two problems you have to address:
    1. Drivers. Most cameras need drivers of some kind installed on the host computer (or PDA) as the only other way is for them to present themselves as external storage. Considering what's in my second point, and the fact that even PDAs with relatively similar hardware and specs can boast different connectors, most manufacturers don't bother (unless they target one popular model like the iPaq) as the drivers end up being too specific.
    2. Storage on the PDA itself: PDAs (especially PalmOS devices) ship with very little storage; then when you consider that you'll be transferring the photos from one item flash memory storage (in the camera) to another (in/connected to the PDA) it seems a little pointless - why not shove the CF/SmartMedia card straight into the camera and be done with it?
    However, if you really do want a PDA/camera hookup, Kodak used to do one for certain Palms (they were called called PalmPix) and Nexian do this for the iPaq. These are just two examples, but...

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Was just wondering, was anyone able to use their digital camera on a pda?

not a direct link with any camera vendor provided software no, haven't heard of that (yet)... only used the two together by using the storage media to transfer the images, there are some cameras with InfraRed ports so it should be possible to send them that way also

on the move i've used my (pocket pc) pda to edit / store / send pics taken with a CF memory digital camera (transferring via the CF card), there are also SD and Memory Stick to CF / PC card adapters that could work if your PDA has a CF or PC Card slot

there is some bundled MGI software with newer Palms that allows you to view pics taken on an SD card, photo viewers also for the the Sony Clie with pics taken on a MemoryStick

have found it handy to store / edit pics taken with the 7650 / T68i + Communicam on the PDA (Pocket PC) as space is limited on the camera phones (transferred via IR and Bluetooth)

emerging are PDA with cameras - but their resolution is nothing fancy - none of your 4 MegaPixel quality to be had - Sony Clie (built-in and MemoryStick Camera), Sharp Zaurus (built-in [japan only at the mo i think] and CF camera), you can get CF branded cameras for the HP Pocket PCs - there is a SVGA version of the Pretec CF camera for Pocket PC that goes up to 1.3 mega pixels which is the best i've seen around at the moment

HTH
    Brian G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

thanks for the info - :)

Advertisement