Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on this PC

• 27-08-2002 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Im about to buy the dell PC thats listed below. Gonna cost me €2300. Anyone got any suggestions before I buy it?

Mini Tower Chassis
    3.5" 1.44 Floppy Drive
    128MB nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4600 Graphics Card (TV OUT)

Enhanced Support Packs: 3 Year On-Site Next Business Day Service Support

Processor Upgrade: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.266GHz

Memory: 512MB Rambus RDRAM (+ EUR EUR 189.00)

Hard Drive: 80GB Turbo Hard Drive (7200 rpm)

Monitor: Dell Value 19" (18.0" VIS) FST Monitor

Optical Drives: 16x DVD Drive with PowerDVD Software and 40/10/40x CD-RW Drives

Sound Card: Creative Labs SB Live 1024 Voice Sound Card

Speakers: Harman Kardon 695 Speakers

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home Edition (Why not upgrade to Windows® XP Professional?)

Modem: Eicon Diva ISDN Passive Adapter (+ EUR EUR 25.00)

Software: Microsoft Works 6.0

Keyboard: Entry Level PS2 Keyboard

Mouse: Dell Logitech PS/2 2 Btn Mouse

The only thing I will be changing on it is the mouse. My optical intellipoint will be replaceing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

hardly a hardware tweaking topic, now is it?

Anyways, the spec sounds good. Only thing I would change is to go for the 19" P992 trinitron monitor, well worth the cash. Considering you were gonna splash out 500 on an extra 266mhz, I think you can afford it as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

The only thing I would change there would be the sound card - not that there's anything wrong with the 1024.

I have that sound card and it's pretty cool, but if was gonna spend that kinda money I'd go for an Audigy or something with a bit more functionality TBH...

Nice machine otherwise:)

The audigy offers very slightly better quality, but could you tell the difference?

<edit> sorry venom, I thought this had been posted on the hw tweaking board, hence my hasty comment in my first reply </edit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Let's face it, to most people, if you can plug in all of the speakers, it's grand. The majority of PC applications (with the exception of serious music/recording packages) don't use most of the features of audio cards these days; most game audio, for example, is sampled PCM ("raw" digital audio data), so if it supports enough speakers for your taste (2, 2.1, 4.1, or 5.1, where the ".1" refers to a subwoofer) you'll be fine. Even the audio mixing (so that your music and your sampled gunshots play at the same time) is done in software, AFAIK. About the only exception to this I can think of is this so-called "positional audio" - getting the sound card to make a sound appear to be coming from a given direction when hooked up to surround speakers (which tend to be positioned wrongly anyway by most people, myself included, because they're awkward). However, all current cards support this sort of thing (look for "EAX" or "Sensaura")

The 1024 is fine for sound playback. It's actually not too bad for recording either, but the Audigy has the edge due to better (double) internal sampling rates. Plus, some (if not all) Audigys come with a Firewire port, I think...

To be honest, it seems to me that sound cards are at a bit of an impasse right now; there's no "holy grail" for them to achieve, unlike, say, graphics hardware, and the features that differentiate the high-end and low-end models these days are ones that most people (90+%) won't actually use, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, there's still some cheap, woeful sounding muck out there, but if you go with any current model from a reasonable brand you'll be fine unless you want to be the next Brian Eno or Orbital or somebody like that. Having said all that, someone will come up with something new to put a spanner in what I've just said any... minute... now... :p

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I moved it from HW Tweaking Gerry. :) You were not going insane ... today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well I posted it in HW Tweaking as I though the that was where the post should go due to the adding or subtracting of HW bits kinda gig of my post :)

Im gonna stick with the SB 1024 for a few reasions. Iv always used SB sound cards of one type or another and not once have I had any trouble with any of the cards or problems with games and SB cards. I will probley be using digital head phones while playing games or listening to music or watching videos on the PC so any other extra features is just a waste.

Ill probley have to have a think about the extra cash for the monitor tho :) Dont suppose you have any HW reviews of the one you mentioned do you Gerry?

A fair enough assessment, methinks*. But to follow on from what Gerry says, the one thing you should never skimp on is the monitor. A dear monitor works out cheaper than poor eyesight...

Gadget

* You are aware that the Audigy is the name of the latest Soundblaster range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Damn right.

I remember splashing out 400 pounds on a GeForce 3 and having it run @ 1024x768 @ 60Hz on a 14 inch POS.

You were constantly reminded how retarded that was justhalf.

Anyways venom, I don't have any reviews offhand, I'm sure if you google it you will come up with plenty. I use one in work, and its top notch, thats about all I can say about it. About the sound card, well gadget is right. You aint going to use all those features. On a sidetrack, the audigy doesn't actually support 20bit ( or 24bit , I can't remember) recording, just playback. Seems they skimped a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Do you want to be able to get your cake and eat it? Those Dell pcs come with the most scantily clad bioses I've ever come across, well at least not compared to gateway.....

• Advertisement

Justhalf: The stuff of legends... :rolleyes:

What do you mean, tactical anni?

Gadget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Get XP pro on it, its a more robust system and better for the more advanced user. The HOME EDITION is also known as the FISHER PRICE EDITION and you have to auth online everytime you install it.

Btw if you wait a month there are a whole load of new intel processors reaching up to 2.8ghz which means prices are going to come down for the likes of the 2.26 ghz and the 2.4ghz.

Thats what im doing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dave its gonna be alittle while before I get the PC so hopefully the prices may drop a bit but this is free money due to a happy event in work so the price dosent matter :)

Im drokked if Im buying any MS OS even with free money.I know to many people who can get me OS systems for free.

Fully agreed venom. And also, you shouldn't be forced to get an operating system with it at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I mean you about 10 options in your bios and if you run into any problems it certainly doesn't help troubleshooting. I mean one of my mates Dell pc's didn't have an option to change agp aperture size, it was just locked at 32..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

after a while of arguing about it i got the dell guy to offer it to me without an OS, but he was only going to take E 50 off the price, the same discount if I had of ordered online :mad: then the next time I called a different guy refused any discount at all

that pc is nice, but the sound setup isnt the best, i prefer my audigy card and inspire 5300 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

**** that's a lot of money

I know... I shouldn't read the PC Pro £899 pc labs.. but... its sooo gooood.

Best theing about the system above is the RDRAM.

Advertisement