Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remake of Manhunter/Red Dragon

• 27-08-2002 5:48pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

Red Dragon.

Just saw today that work is well under way on this film.
    Anthony Hopkins stars with Edward Norton (Will Graham?) and Harvey Keitel (Jack Crawford?).
    Apparently the script is being penned by the guy who scripted Silence of the Lambs.
    Also it may be (not sure though) directed by Jonathan Demme.

A bit of a Hannibal/Hopkins cash in I reckon, but I can't wait all the same.
    Anyone know any more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The book is outstanding. Easily on a par with Silence. Read it before you see either this or the original Manhunter.

The original film was quite good in spite of Michael Mann's Miami Vice style of direction. Brian Cox's performance as Lecter is so good that its sad to think it will probably be forgotten after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

According to the Red Dragon page on the imdb it's to be directed by Brett Ratner, whose pedigree is not encouraging: Rush Hour 2, The Family Man, etc...

The original Michael Mann effort was very cool, but this one's got Edward Norton, who should at least be a more interesting actor than that guy with the beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its out October 4th in the States, and October 11th here. Not too long to wait!

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Trailer here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808410341&cf=trailer

Looks VERY cool.

- Dave.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by TmB
    Trailer here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808410341&cf=trailer

Looks VERY cool.

- Dave.

Just watched the trailers and ideed they do look very cool.
    Ralph Fiennes too, looking fairly star-studded this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Oooh, I just noticed it's got Harvey Keitel and Philip Seymour Hoffman in it too! Wowza, what a cast. Hope they don't mess it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Brian Cox's performance as Lecter is so good that its sad to think it will probably be forgotten after this.

I've heard from a number of people that Cox was far better then Hopkins.
    Still haven't seen the film yet, but I intend to at some stage before the remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I've heard from a number of people that Cox was far better then Hopkins.
    Cox's portrayal was a lot more subdued and calculating, whereas Hopkins turned it lector a standard over-the-top, wide-eyed maniac.

I guess it all comes down to how you prefer your psychopaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Red Dragon is my favorite of his books and while Manhunter was a good film it kinda dropped most of what I liked about the book in particular the madmans upbringing and viewpoint. I hope the new movie will stick a bit closer to the book.
    Brian Cox was brilliant and was not given near enough screen time, I'm sure it will be exactly the opposite for the new one.

I'd really like to see a remake of Black Sunday (Thomas Harris's first book I think) but it's unlikely to say the least post September 11th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by DapperGent

I'd really like to see a remake of Black Sunday (Thomas Harris's first book I think) but it's unlikely to say the least post September 11th.

Hmm, I can see the line producer making his pitch to the production chief now....I thought the 1977 version was pretty good if a bit on the long side, it flopped mainly because it was too gloomy so I don't reckon a wildly expensive remake would
    set tills ringing now.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

Isn't Jonathan Demme dead. If hes the guy who directed BLow then he certainly is. Died of a heart attak last year.

Not only do we have Harvey, sir anthony, Mr. Norton and Philip (I was great in MAgnolia) Hoffman but the fabulous Mr. Fiennes is also in the cast. He plays the murderer The Tooth Fairy.
    Looks very exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

God I can see this being a disaster. Manhunter is an excellent film and far superior imho than Silence of the Lambs which is just over the top rubbish in comparison.

William Peterson who is that "guy with the beard" was excellent in Manhunter playing the burnt out FBI agent that had captured Lecter. Brian Cox's performance as Lector was far superior & more subdued compaired to Hopkins and the chap they had playing the Killer was very good showing a vulnerability but then switching to pure evil seemlessly showing his to be a complex character and not some clichéd serial killer as you normally see in these films.

I'd recommend seeing Manhunter before you go see Red Dragon. Now I must read the book.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ted demme directed Blow, hes now in that great directors chair in the sky.

Pretty sure this new film is NOT gonna be directed by demme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Brian Cox's performance as Lecter is so good that its sad to think it will probably be forgotten after this.

Interesting you should say that because Cox, in aid of creating continuity was actually offered the role of Lecter for S.O.T.L ahead of Anthony Hopkins but he turned it down (or so I heard) .

I bet he feels quite the april fool now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never really liked the original 'Manhunter'. Michael Man's a bit of a waste of space IMO.

Extremly over-rated.

Advertisement