Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options
  • 27-08-2002 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Yay!! I am in Transition Year!!!!!!
    So, I was wondering: What is everybody planning to do/ done for work experience??

me, I have no idea. But Im planning to look into working in Forbidden Planet/ Sub City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Forbidden planet is so fun to work in. I know I told you already but it really is super cool. While working there i realised that I when I grow up I don't want to have a "good job" I want an easy job, with low stress where I can talk to people and read comics.
    The Irish Times is a cool place to go if you don't want to do any real work. You go in at 10:30am, you're out by 3:00pm and you get two hours for lunch. And one day they paid for us to go see a movie because they couldn't think of anything else for us to do.
    :D

Damn I miss fourth year
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ah... good ol' Irish Times. The meetings were class!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I'll probably go the lazy way and ask for a job in the local primary school which is beside my school.........I really should try and get a job in a pharmacutical (?) company..........but thats 20 minutes away........no way I'm going to arklow every morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Big Stick

I hope to get to work in Xtra Vision.

Okay, I live in Sligo, we have nothin' but credit unions, gift shops and newsagents... To hell with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I wanna try and get work experience out of the country, now that would be cool! I have loads of relatives in London so I'm trying to convince mother dearest that letting me go to work in England for three weeks at various times over the next 8 months or so is a good idea... it's not going well. Apart from that I'd love to work in a solicitors office or, for some odd reason, in Lemon... working in Lemon would be pretty damn sexual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Yeah, i'm tring to convince my parentals letting me go to stay with my relatives n Maine is a good idea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Don't work in Xtra Vision ya big whore ya! I did and my cousin is a DM <district manager> and all i got was a free video. It was alright work but not worth it. So don't ya big spanner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

i did some of my work experience in a computer company called ICL. i rewired half the building, only to find out that a month after my work experience they were moving site :(

but it was cool because i finished the days work before lunch, so i spent the rest of the day in either waltons or musician, cos my friends were working there. very many free plectrums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

I was in TY last year n did my work experience in a radio station which was really cool coz you get to see what all the djs look like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

Originally posted by Big Stick
    Okay, I live in Sligo, we have nothin' but credit unions, gift shops and newsagents... To hell with them...

ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! finally someone else form sligo!
    we must meet up! eeek!

but yeah, I'm hoping Bookmart will still be in business next year,
    I wanna work in a 2nd hand bookstore, so I can pretend to be cooler then everyone :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Gahhhh! TY is so crap! Get out of it (if you can).
    Umkay, back on topic. I did work experience in a primary school and did sweet f-all for 2 weeks. Twas a larf but it put me off screaming 6year olds for life. My best memory of TY, tho, involves chasing my chemistry and physics teachers down a mountain in Delphi with large quantities of sweet goopy muck. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Tis great these mornings, bummin round doing absolutely nothing. And I have 2 and a bit weeks of sweet nothingness left cos UCD starts 16th sept.:p So fneh. Enjoy school these 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

words of advice.
    do your work experience at someplace where all you have to do is stand at a till.
    your feet won't hurt, and remember, bosses can be bastards and they don't even have to pay you for work experience, and can easily work you like a dog doing all the **** stuff if they feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

i'm trying to get work ex in a hair dressing place. they haven't got back to me yet though....and i'm supposed to have it in by monday....i'm screwed.....:(
    sHep :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Right, I think I've made my choices:

For the first week in November, Forbidden Planet (ill try sub city first 'cause I LOVE that place)

The 2 weeks in Feburary, well, my cousins both work for an electronics company( theyre both Electronic Engineers) so Ill ask them if they can help me out with getting a job over there.

Advertisement