Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples champ my arse

• 27-08-2002 11:01pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Most recent Wrestlemanias biggest match was the rock vs "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan during which even though the Hulkster was a major heel at the time the rock was booed and jeerd loud chants of rocky sucks could also be heard as the fans got behind the NWOs Hogan.

so why is the rock called the peoples champ?

Even as recently as his title defense(which he lost) at summerslam the "rocky sucks" chants could be heard and rightfully so.
    take his moves for example

1.the sharpshooter-bret harts now used by the rock -once the best submission now nobody taps out to it ever

2.Rock Bottom- Stolen from booker T during his wcw days

3.The Peoples Elbow-most electrifing move in sports entertainment my ass its a fecking elbow drop

well thats my rant about the rockbut im wondering why is this man still called the peoples champ?

can anyone tell me cause to me it seems as if it would be better if the peoples chump stuck to becoming the next schwarzenegger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Peoples Bore more like. i wish he would go to hollywood and stay there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think the problem with the rock is he's slowly been found out,he's be hiding behind his Mic skills to long,at the end of the day the true wrestling fans chant and support ppl who whoop ass,ala stone cold.

Good call about the sharp shooter every1 use to tap out to dat,well thats cause Bret Hart could actually do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

Yeah I think I'm still in shock that Rock has ever made it to the top, it is always good for a laugh when he's in the ring with someone the fans have some level of appreciation for, and also when he's in the old ecw stamping ground area, usually gets boos, none as spectacular as WM or Sunday but still there.
    What I'd like to know though is, have the WWE been doing much sound editing on smackdown in recent weeks, and has his popularity slipped much more or was summerslam the first sign.
    It's amazing to compare rock to people like ddp and trish , these people were pretty awful when they started out in the ring but improved hugely, wheras the rock actually seems to lose in-ring talent with each passing match. He takes the minimum of bumps now, I highlighted his taking of the back suplex before and it still aggravates me, if you're going to protect your head with your hand when you fall, you obviously have little confidence in your own ability to land.
    As for the other points, yes he has totally ruined the sharpshooter, once an awesome move used by Bret and Sting, now a mockery because of McMahon's screw job.
    I think Mick Foley said it best when he described the people's elbow as the most rediculous move in wrestling, and how right he is, and amazing that it was allowed become his finisher at a time when wwf was struggling for legitimacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

it wasn't recently that the rock has lost popularity. i amn't sure if it was raw or smackdown but do you remember when the invasion started? rock vs RVD the wwe used a lot of sound editing in this match but if listened closely to you could still heard the rocky sucks chants and of course a couple of choruses of RVD,RVD,RVD.
    does anyone else see the rock bottom as a backwards downward spiral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Popularity in wrestling is easily measured, you don't need to count the chants: who sells the most merchandise?

The Rock's merchandising is Huuuuuuge because people like him. The problem of late is that the fans are aware that he's only a part timer, and there's nothing for the character to do anymore, except wait for someone to take his place.. uuh lesnar....

As to not taking back drops well, perhaps its due to his serious back problems that mean any sane person in the same position wouldn't be doing that **** at all. Lets face it, if you were 30, rich, and looking at making more money from poncing about a film set than wrestling, would you risk ending up a cripple? Uuuh no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Is there not anybody out there who likes the rock?

i was interested in seing why he was the peoples champ because that was something i found hard to understand a la my earlier comments.

if there is any rock fans out there still please try to explain the poor mans popularity to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I would count myself as a Rock fan.

The reason why?

He entertains me.
    I love his attitude, his sarcastic remarks, and just everything about his persona.
    Even his music can raise the hairs at the back of youre neck as he enters.

I understand that he's not the most technical wrestler, but so what? The thing about a guy at the top is that you either love him or hate him. But either way they (WWE) win.
    If you just couldnt care, then there in trouble.

X

his persona? his attitude? his sarcastic remarks?
    use your f'n cop on. he's an actor his material is scripted apart from when he was in ring with mick foley but mick foley could make it look like brock lesnar had charisma.
    is he couldn't pull off your above comments not only should he not be in the wwe [which he shouldn't anyway] but then he should get the F out of hollywood too
    use your brain and just look at the real entertainers wheter mic skills or in ring ability the best of the bunch [when he's allowed to play his true character] is chris jericho. he has the moves: jericho bomb [double powerbomb that the wwe gave to lesnar], double arm back breaker [which they won't let him do anymore], spring board lionsault, and the walls of jericho [he needs to start putting the knee between the shoulder blades when he does it otherwise it's just an elevated boston crab]
    and do i need to take the piss out of the rocks moves?
    just look at them they take the piss out of themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

So thats your opinion mate ..

Youre welcome to it.
    Are you so arrogant that you dont think there can be any other point of view?

X

use your f'n cop on. he's an actor his material is scripted

Where not 10 years old we know its fake,but the Rock is first and Foremost an entertainer,who is able to "entertain" large crowds with his in ring persona and albeit limited wrestling ability,some thing not all wrestlers are able to do,hence his popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Uuuh Duh they're ALL scripted dumbass including jericho - that's why he's playing the "whiny tramp" character at the moment. The Rock is popular because he's a GOOD actor at his part. Simple, brilliant, effective and listen to the crowd. That's why he's the people's champion.

Listen, jabroni to the millions....

AND MILLIONS

of the Rock's fans

who finish the Rock's lines for him.

for all the intelligent people out there and to the rocks fans
    no f'n **** sherlocks
    the part i'm saying is scripted is his lines not his in ring moves or victories
    the amount of wrestlers who are given a vague outline and then can do speeches on the fly are true entertainers but then there is the rock who has his speeches written for him he can't do mic work on the fly unless a true pro like mick foley is there to drag him along
    and besides anybody who counts him/herself as a rock fan has already shown there alck of intelligence and better judgement
    P.S. did you listen to the people at summerslam?
    "rocky sucks" and " lets go lesnar"
    i know i listened to that

right now i can not stand watching the Rock when he is on TV .He is much tooboring and much to serious .He is actually more serious then Lance Storm at this time. However this gut just puled in the ratings during the 90's with his kidish antics .He seems to have grown up now and has to be one of the most boring cards on the WWe roster . I just want to see him turn heel

the part i'm saying is scripted is his lines not his in ring moves or victories

Actually you have just shown your lack of intelligence,because yes everything in wrestling is scripted including his victories.

Make sure you know what your talking about before you go shout your mouth off.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Ok we all know that Rock couldn't wrestle his way out of a paper bag!! everyone agrees!! but its the intensity that he brings to his character!!
    As cactus jack has reminded us(that we all knew) is that his lines are wrote for him!! Fair enough!! but any1 can read them off the page but rock brings a lot of intensity!!
    In fairness i've been a rock fan through the years, i know its fading now but he did carry the WWE for years!! even though he is crap!!!

I hope they now concenrate on Rey Mysterio!! Cos he is class!!! He nearly took the head off of (cant remember now!! SORRY) on smackdown!! He is a very exciting wrestler!!!! He nearly had Angle at Summerslam!!!

Its good to see the WWE is gettin good again!! or smackdown anyway!! the no.1 contender series was good especially the final match!! it was cool!!!

Advertisement