Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best national anthem?

Options
  • 27-08-2002 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

I suppose most people are goignt o put down the irish one as the best, but does anybody have any other ones they like?

I think the old Soviet Union's anthem is quite good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Irish anthem's a monstrosity! I'd vote for the Italian or French
    as being the most tuneful, even jaunty.

Mike.

www.futuremusiccorp.net

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

O Flower of Scotland- the scottish one (incase your stupid) is class but dont put ours down

the french one is also very good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The old Soviet one ruled. The Italian comes a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
    ...dont put ours down

Its yours but not mine! BTW the one "my country" uses is even
    worse!

Mike

www.futuremusiccorp.net

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Italian one is always nice to hear when Ferrari win a grand prix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Am I wrong in thinking that the "old Soviet anthem" is still the "new Russian anthem"?

I've a fondness for the German one tbh, though I do a nice line in "during WW2" lyrical sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

the best national anthem is the one on radiohead's kid A altough seriously the french one's not bad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd go for the French, not my favourite lyrics but it does have a rousing tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'm a big fan of the Welsh national anthem followed by the Scottish one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

South African Anthem is Great. Nkosi skelele i think. Our own is brilliant. Amhran Na Bhfiann is one of the worlds best Anthems. Australia is prob the worst. After Irelands Call of course, which doesnt really qualify as it is not an anthem. I dont know how people sing it at matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

God Save The queen is Scotland's official anthem unfortunatly.

My favourite would be the Argentinian one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

God Save The queen is Scotland's official anthem unfortunately..

Yeah, it's like their "Ireland's Call".

EDIT: more like their 'Fields of Athenry' actually. Scotland doesn't have an official national anthem (GSTQ is the UK anthem) but when Scotland has one it will probably be "Flower of Scotland".

I'll go with the old Soviet one also....

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

La marselleise comes a close second

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

The Irish one is terrible, truly awful.

Scotlands is the best for me. I like the french one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The irish national anthem as played at the end of RTE closedown (60s to 80s ) is imo one of the most lovely anthems and orchestral pieces of music ever written .The german and amercian anthems are also favs of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Poloman wrote: »
    The Irish one is terrible, truly awful.

Scotlands is the best for me. I like the french one too.

Are you joking? Flower of Scotland was written in the sixties, its just a basic song, rousing albeit.

Irelands Anthem came about during her fight for independence. It is a rousing anthem that perfectly reflects our historic conflicts with the UK throughout the last eight hundred years.

Amhran Na Bhfiann is perfect for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Le Marseillaise (sp)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Deedsie wrote: »
    South African Anthem is Great. Nkosi skelele i think.

Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika to give it its full title, and I agree it's absolutely brilliant. It is or was also the national anthem of a few other countries, including Zimbabwe. It was written in the 19th century, but became the anthem of the ANC when they fought apartheid in South Africa. Hearing it sung unaccompanied by thousands definitely makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Unfortunately the official South African anthem now combines this with Die Stem, the old apartheid era national anthem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The Italian one hands down, no question.

I do however have a massive soft spot for the full length God Save the Queen. It really does the job of a national anthem well, really rowsing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Although national pride aside I like Amhrán na bhFiann.

France and Italy are pretty cool as well, roll on the 6Nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

Hard to beat le marseilleise being belted out by 80,000 french rugby supporters at stade de france would make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hate the Irish National Anthem. This won't be popular but The Star Spangled Banner is a great piece of music in my opinion, as is God Save The Queen. And yes, The French anthem is very good.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dudess wrote: »
    This won't be popular but The Star Spangled Banner is a great piece of music

Actually as national anthems go it's a pretty good one. My only problem with it is when they get someone like Whitnet Houston to sing it and they put their own interpretation on it, loads of long drawn out notes and the like. Just sing the feckin' thing like it was written, it's a national anthem, not a pop concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some national anthems are easier to sing along to than others like Amhrán na bhFiann ,Deutschland über alles or the unofficial Australian anthem ' I am Australian ' .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

French one beats 'em all.

They're also fairly good at singing it:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ahem...
    http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=PxwylahBfp4&feature=related

In all seriousness it's hard to beat the Soviet anthem, la Marseillaise a close second. The lyrics of both are worth a read, la Marseillaise is almost agricultural!

I find the Star Spangled Banner to be a terrible piece of music with horrible lyrics.

The Chinese anthem is like the intro to a Wild West film! Try listening to it and picture Clint Eastwood walking up some dusty street eyeing up a hooker with his hat at a jaunty angle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Israeli's - Hatikva (the hope).
    Very versatile melody and a very moving song. Gets me every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nAFhXeNheE

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Or how about the Karaoke version so we can all sing along. Hands across the tinterweb (as it were).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IuHgBQcbKs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't rate the Irish anthem either. The tune is woeful. Sounds like something from a former Soviet state.

Best anthems for me are the French and American anthems. I also think the Scottish one is great.

God Save the Queen is terrible. I reckon they should use Land of Hope and Glory which is very good.

Advertisement