Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally

Options
  • 28-08-2002 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

I was just reading somewhere on Ireland Offlines Boards that theirs in excess of 1000 members. Dunno if thats true but got me to thinking that if even half or a third of them turned up for some sort of rally outside the Dail Protesting and getting publicity for our cause, it could be a step in the right direction...

I'm sure this must have been suggested before, but I would certainly take part.

We could invite news teams, have Ireland Offline spokespersons do interviews.

Possibly make it so that we only have one aim on the day... To Emphasise that the structure is in place for flat rate dialup and Eircom won't budge.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

We were only talking about this the other night at the boards beer. The approach worked for 'hungary offline' and certainly, a large body of people protesting outside a public office is always good press. (It should be outside a Govt building - anyone mentions eircon and they will be shot:P )

Xian made a very good point however. In Ireland Offlines case, the iron is well and truly cold. We probably could have mustered maybe 200 people closer to the SNL debacle (and we did, the 1st AGM, the seminar, both of which were covered by press), but that impetus is lost. In Hungary's case, they demonstrated within a week of thier flat rate service being withdrawn.

Even after saying that, i still think its a good idea. The question is, Who else would be willing to take part?

If theres sufficient interest, im sure the commitee would take it on board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Even after saying that, i still think its a good idea. The question is, Who else would be willing to take part?

Organise a mouse costume and I'm there.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

It would be difficult to do it on a working day, as I'd imagine the vast majority of your members work or study fulltime.

And i'm not sure if it would make the same impression if you march to the dail when its closed, and theres no one there.

Perhaps a march up and down O'Connell St , with a preparared press release for the media (pre invited), would be the best thing if indeed it is done on a Saturday.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Well I'd happily take a day off work to march, stand, protest, whatever may be required. Guaranteed way of hitting the news, and letting joe average six-one viewer know what's going on behind the scenes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'd be on for it.
    I work 5 mins away from the snake house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"And i'm not sure if it would make the same impression if you march to the dail when its closed, and theres no one there."

That'd be pretty funny actually, I can see the headlines already :P...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

If at all possible i'd go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I would indeed attend such an event also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

as long as its a weekend,I can make my way up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'd do it

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I'll be there. When are they back from Summer holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'd try to make it, but there are no gaurantees that I could :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

yeah sure why not :)

any word from the heads of ioffl about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Organise a mouse costume and I'm there.

Nhaww a VERY LARGE! plaque cardboard cutout of the Errorcom RAT :D
    and I`ll be there too! :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Almost any weekend, and I can be there. I'll even take turns wearing the mouse costume (just don't kick too hard!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Almost any weekend, and I can be there. I'll even take turns wearing the mouse costume (just don't kick too hard!).

And what makes you thing we'd kick you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

<devil's:advocate>What makes anyone think the attendance will be any more than that at our AGM or, at a time when member activity was higher, the Blackout protest last November? If turnout is at those levels we'd be better taking a gun to our foot. As I said earlier, Hungary had just such a demonstration, but it was a week after the announcement that their NoLimits would be cancelled and was attended by 1,200 people. Do you seriously expect that level of attendance?</devil's:advocate>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Originally posted by Xian
    [B As I said earlier, Hungary had just such a demonstration, but it was a week after the announcement that their NoLimits would be cancelled and was attended by 1,200 people. Do you seriously expect that level of attendance?</devil's:advocate> [/B]

Well I'm not sure on the figures (maybe an IOFL spokesman can clear this up) but I did say ½ or a third even... For example, last week the students union protested outside the dail by chaining themselves to leinster house... The next day it was in every major Broadsheet and also tacky tabloids about their cause - the increase in college funds.

I think that the publicity would be the main thing, just get Ireland Offline back in the papers again, the more times we're in the paper the more people will look us up, the more people will join and the stronger our group will become.

The idea about someone dressing up as a rat is pretty good as the Tabloids would have a field day with that if it was done well.

The turnout I would expect to be good as most people feel that by actually physically doing something (marching, chanting, chaining yourself to the dail:). You'll get better results than discussion, although It may not be true maybe its a subconcious thing?

Anyway, just throwing a few ideas up in the air, as always, up to the commitee to give the go ahead...

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

well,if we get a large enough group and get some media attention, those numbers will more then likely double..

In order to get some attention i would think that rather than just showing up outside gov building we would want to meet out side Eircom in O connell st then march up o connell st to gov buldings.
    that should get some attention i would think. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I dont think wed ever get enough peoeple to 'march down o connell st'. Best we could hope for is up to a hundred or so (max), probably less. If we had a few people wearing humerous t-shirts or beating up a giant mouse* or something like that, it might do as well.

*Please treat this as humour

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

With enough advance notice, I would be willing to be there. I heard about AGM too close to the date, and couldn't change scheduled plans then. I very much wanted to attend. (Yes, I read my e-mails from IOFFL).

IMHO, major events should be announced to the membership well in advance. Not a complaint, just an opinion. :)

Seriously!

This kinda thing can only be done once for best effect and has to be done right, so we would need commitment from everyone to show up... (get your granny to come too) if she wantsto know what its about and she doesnt understand Internet, tell her its for cheaper phone calls.. or higher pension rates (Whatever gets them to come)

Basicaly Bribe them do whatever you need to, to get people to participate then just when they have learned there "we want cheaper phone calls" chant, hand them the bannner that says.. "we want flat rate internet access" they maybe confussed but they will have already made the effort to attend and we will have numbers. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Dustaz
    ...or beating up a giant mouse...

I hereby rescind my offer.
    Please treat this as humour

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Might I make suggestion here

Maybe you should hold the rally the agm and maybe a boards beer all on the same day. have agm in morning rally in the afternoon (just in time for liveline) and make a night out of it after that.

you oculd get the admin at boards to put one of those sticky posts in all the forums on boards .ie leading up to the rally.

and you could go on loads of radio stations leading up to it too.

btw had to give up the powernet cos I moved am stuck with 56k for another while. There is DSL belonging to esat underneath the footpath outside my house now and I cant have it cos im not a business... oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

People seem game but you need an organisational Chief behind something like this for it to go off....

Anyone care to take up the gauntlet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement