Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S4c

• 28-08-2002 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question on S4C. Some of the Munster Celtic League matches are being shown on S4C only and I was wondering if this is on the FTA cards or do I have to get it activated.

Im not at home atm and I cant check it myself. Would there be any problems getting it activated if it is a London BBC card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Not this end anyway.My card has a london address and my friend rang s4c up with a result. Report back if it works out>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

S4C digidol is the default channel 104 on Welsh cards, and can also be activated for free on any other regions cards, where it is allocated to 184. If you call S4C with the details of the card, they will activate it - probably best if you use the registered owner of the FTV card.

But do remember: S4C on Sky is S4C Digidol, which is a 100% Welsh programming station. They are not like analoge S4C which has english language programming, and programming from C4. The games you want may not therefore be on S4C on your digibox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by Genghis
    S4C digidol is the default channel 104 on Welsh cards, and can also be activated for free on any other regions cards, where it is allocated to 184. If you call S4C with the details of the card, they will activate it - probably best if you use the registered owner of the FTV card.

I don't think that Irish cards can officially get S4C added, but it may be possible if you don't tell them.

Heres another ridiculous suggestion this morning. Watching S4C is hacking if your not in the uk.So we shouldnt be discussing any of these ftv issues.Its hacking>
    And along same lines , has anyone had a bbc card upgraded to a sky package in Ireland (ROI), would that mean a confused EPG ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Rang the S4C section at Sky last night but their systems were down so I am going to try again tonight.

As for the matches being on S4C digital, the Munster match is on the EPG for S4C on Saturday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by telecinesk
    Heres another ridiculous suggestion this morning. Watching S4C is hacking if your not in the uk.So we shouldnt be discussing any of these ftv issues.Its hacking>

What? Explain me why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by telecinesk
    And along same lines , has anyone had a bbc card upgraded to a sky package in Ireland (ROI), would that mean a confused EPG ?

Hmmmm.

Someone buying an old digibox from the UK, and using its services over here, well, thats the free market economy for yer. Someone getting a FTA card and using it in their existing Irish sub digibox, thats a grey area, but it is very hard to police.
    Its not out and out trying to crack the whole Sky system, and watch channels that have to be paid for, on the free.

No, the FTA option (wheather card in Irish box or ex-UK sub) is giving folk the option of getting channels that you dont have to pay a subscription for. If you are trying to crack the system, to enable you to watch, say Sky Sports, now that is fraud and we dont like that discussion here. FTV boxes only cost only the initial outlay to the consumer. If you want to defraud BSkyB, go on, but its not for discussion here.

"Other forums are available"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Question 1
    - If I wanted to watch any of the Celtic League games on S4C Digidol (If that's the correct spelling- I don't speak Welsh) when I phone up the number given on the FYI banner, will it be connected free of charge, or are there any hidden charges S4C aren't telling us about?

Question 2-

Once it's connected, how easy is it to get it disconnected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by CHRISTYG
    Question 1
    will it be connected free of charge, or are there any hidden charges S4C aren't telling us about?

I can't say for definate - but I strongly doubt this. It definately isn't in the UK as S4C is public service channel

Question 2-

Once it's connected, how easy is it to get it disconnected?

I don't know - it might seem odd to them that you are ringing up to cancel it. Why would you want to, anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Ages ago, someone on this board rang up S4C and told them that they were calling from Ireland. The asked about getting it switched on over here. They were told that it was not possible at the time (this was before BBC1 and BBC2) were available here. However the person was told that it may become available at some stage here.

Has anyone rung up and asked for it to be switched on for a regular Irish Sub card?

In answer to Christy's question, there are no charges to receive S4C, therefore there is no reason that you would want to get it disconnected.

• Advertisement

Damo, your easily wound up you know that?
    Hook line and...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As Fr David once sang,

"Words dont come easy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 philipe

called the s4c card number on the FTA card and they asked for my name address postcode and card number and within 5 minutes the channel was on channel 184. Also asked about ROI and the channel is only available in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Rand the S4C number on Friday evening and gave the name, address, postcode and number of my FTV card. Channel was activated in 5 minutes also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Can also confirm that there is no problem with getting S4C ~ Digidol activated on a FTV card. I rang the number and they asked for my name, postcode and the card number. Channel was activated after about 20 minutes.

Was great for the rugby.

Come on Munster. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭NorthDown

Yes S4C is available in the Uk if you ask for it - I did it for some friends have always asked if it's free -told yes, as paid for by licence fee. Don't quite understand why they don't just broadcast it without activiation - why are they holding a database of info on who's watching outside Wales.

Some good prog.s - Porc Pais Bach is worth watching out for. Apparently the original film the series was based on was on TG4 recently.

On the rugby front bucks73, don't forget that highlights against the Scottish provinces (Border/Glasgow/Edinburgh) are shown on Scotsport (ITV Border/STV/GRampian) on Sunday afternoons - found brief edits of Connaught match (and one in Wales with a Scot team).

If only BBC NI would show Ulster matches this season - last year BBC Two Wales (Friday night matches there!!!) broadcast a lot of games with the provinces but the listings indicate that's not going to be the case this year. There's a full listing of BBC Wales/ S4C matches of Celtic league - it's the Scrum V website
    www.bbc.co.uk/wales/scrumv - have a root around and you'll find it.

Advertisement